Keyring GRRRRRR

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ken_blackwell
Level 1
Level 1

Keyring GRRRRRR

Post by ken_blackwell »

What the crap is this "keyring" that pops up when I try to open chrome....asking for a password. I have never and never will assign a password to this piece of junk.

How do I kill it? I went to the Software Manager, uninstalled Add-Apt-key, but couldn't uninstall the Mint or Ubuntu keyrings.

I will not have an additional password to open Chrome..!!!!!!!

Ken
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Keyring GRRRRRR

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Ken.

Talking about crap:

Code: Select all

I [...] uninstalled Add-Apt-key
This idea was ... well, not the smartest idea, because add-apt-key is part of the software management system APT and not part of gnome-keyring at all.

About gnome-keyring and Chrome: this has been reported more than once and solved more than once. A little bit of Googling would yield better results than randomly uninstalling unrelated software packages.

Cf. e.g. here: Chrome asks for password to unlock keyring on startup. Search string "google chrome disable gnome keyring" took me less than 1 minute to get a match. ;-)

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
RFlinux

Re: Keyring GRRRRRR - Disable Recurring Chrome Keyring Prompt

Post by RFlinux »

(LM Tessa 19.1)

I tried multiple ways to solve this annoying issue - this is the method that worked for me, finally disabling the prompt permanently:

Go to google-chrome-stable launcher in /usr/share/applications - open with sudo gedit / geany etc - scroll down to:
Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable %U
and change that line to:
Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --password-store=basic %U
Save
Linux Mint Fan

Re: Keyring GRRRRRR

Post by Linux Mint Fan »

I found a simple way to solve this problem. I simply edited the command line in the Google Chrome launcher to read:

/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable %U --password-store=basic

I just had to add the last part ( --password-store=basic ) to the original command that was already there.

Hope this helps :)

Linux Mint Fan

Return to “Software & Applications”