[SOLVED] Place terminal window over youtube video running at Fullscreen?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tekklinux

[SOLVED] Place terminal window over youtube video running at Fullscreen?

Post by tekklinux »

Mint Tessa 19.1
I'm learning bash shell scripting from a youtube tutorial - the code displayed in the tutorial is most easily seen when I use fullscreen (I'm 65!). Is there any way to place my terminal window on top of the fullscreen Firefox window? I'm doubting that this can be done, but it's Linux after all and often someone knows a way. So, to recap - I'd like to be able to use my terminal on top of youtube when its window is on fullscreen.
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Place terminal window over youtube video running at Fullscreen?

Post by Schultz »

Open a terminal window, then open your browser. Make your browser full screen. Use Alt+Tab to bring up the terminal window over your full screen browser.
tekklinux

Re: Place terminal window over youtube video running at Fullscreen?

Post by tekklinux »

Schultz wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:43 pm Open a terminal window, then open your browser. Make your browser full screen. Use Alt+Tab to bring up the terminal window over your full screen browser.
Excellent - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Shultz - may someone bake you an apple strudel - your favorite!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] Place terminal window over youtube video running at Fullscreen?

Post by MrEen »

In addition to what Schultz said, at least in Xfce and hopefully all others you can right click on the terminal titlebar (any titlebar, really) and select Always on Top. That way you could even scroll the window underneath and the terminal window would still be on top.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

MrEen wrote:
In addition to what Schultz said, at least in Xfce and hopefully all others you can right click on the terminal titlebar (any titlebar, really) and select Always on Top. That way you could even scroll the window underneath and the terminal window would still be on top.
You can do this in Mate also (don't know about Cinnamon). This is a better solution if scrolling is required on the bottom window.
tekklinux

Post by tekklinux »

MrEen wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:05 pm In addition to what Schultz said, at least in Xfce and hopefully all others you can right click on the terminal titlebar (any titlebar, really) and select Always on Top. That way you could even scroll the window underneath and the terminal window would still be on top.
Yes - it does work on Cinnamon - that's a very simple solution actually. Should've known that one.
MLW

Post by MLW »

This and I like to be able to adjust the transparency of windows so if I want to see what's going on behind the terminal or document I can do so without having to stop working on it. You can set up a shortcut for that and other useful features, including how alt+tab works, in the "Windows" settings. Something else that might be helpful to you is using separate workspaces. You can have the video playing on the first workspace while the terminal is open on the second. CTRL+ALT and the left and right arrows switch workspaces. Hold down shift as well to move the current window to another workspace. Holding the down arrow shows you all open windows. Pressing the Up arrow shows you all workspaces and active windows on each workspace.

Return to “Software & Applications”