How to remove standard-notes app.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

How to remove standard-notes app.

Post by louarnold »

Mint 18.1 with Cinnamon. I'm not well versed with Linux.
File "standard-notes-3.0.2-x86_64.AppImage" (an executable) downloaded, placed under /home/<user> and then executed. Launch icons automatically installed on panel and desktop.
There is evidence that the app still starts and remains hidden on boot.
Synaptic Pkg Mgr doesnt see the software.
Apt-get result:
sudo apt-get --purge remove ~/standard-notes*
Reading package lists... Done
E: Unsupported file /home/lou/standard-notes-3.0.2-x86_64.AppImage given on commandline

---
Software Manager doesn't list the app either.
Account with them has already been deleted.
I would really like to get rid of this software without buying an uninstaller.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
philotux

Re: How to remove standard-notes app.

Post by philotux »

An Appimage won't get installed on your system like the other pieces of software you install Via synaptic or Software
manager. It runs like a "portable" app on your system.
Every AppImage contains an app and all the files the app needs to run. In other words, each AppImage has no dependencies other than what is included in the targeted base operating system(s).

AppImages can be downloaded and run without installation or the need for root rights.

https://appimage.org/
So you could simply delete the Appimage file from the folder in which it resides and the icons can be removed by right-click > remove/delete, I guess.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

As philotux mentioned, an AppImage is not installed like other software - it is a self-contained package. If you do not want/need/like it, simply delete the AppImage file. If you integrated it to your system, you may need to delete the menu entries and icons.

Most AppImages also create entries in ~/.config - standard-notes is no exception, and you may want to delete it, as well. Launch your file browser, press Ctrl-H to show the hidden files, open the .config folder, look for a folder named Standard Notes, and delete it.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

And if it created an autostart entry you will find that in ~/.config/autostart/ - again simply delete.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Software & Applications”