Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

making text files Window-compatible?

Post by tpprynn » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:26 am

I use a text editor a lot, mostly Leafpad, and sometimes use Notepad in Windows to access the same files. At that point their formatting is messed up. I'd like to know if it's possible to alter a configuration file so that my text files are always Windows-compatible without having to edit them again in Windows. I can see there are some parameters in most text editors that would presumably begin to facilitate this (CR, LF, CR & LF UTF-8 etc...), but I would like things set permanently so that I don't have to do things manually with each saving of a file and each reuse in Windows. If I have to move away from Leafpad I will to do this, but I have warmed to several of the 'LXDE-flavoured' applications in the last couple of years regardless of what DE I'm using and those parameters are still available with this simpler editor. I don't want to convert files or use an application to do that in batches of activity, but to have Leafpad set so that it is already making files fit for both operating systems. So can this be done?

Thanks.

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: making text files Window-compatible?

Post by HaveaMint » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 am

Hmm I should have read further on your post. nvm
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: making text files Window-compatible?

Post by phd21 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:13 am

Hi tpprynn,

You can select "save as" in LeafPad and in other text editors and choose "CR/LF" end of line delimiters for MS Windows format.

Tip: create a blank text document with the CR+LF called something like "4-compatible-text.txt" and recall that (open recent) whenever you want to use a MS Win/Linux compatible text file and save it with a new name.

Note: I do not know if Linux script text files (something.sh) will work with text files using MS Win end of line format CR/LF versus the Linux default of LF.

Hope this helps ...
leafpad text editor
leafpad text editor
Kate text editor
Kate text editor
xed text editor
xed text editor
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Software & Applications”