Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nymphius
Level 1
Level 1

Help Installing DocFetcher

Post by nymphius »

Hi all! Im relatively new to Linux, doing good so far.

# I've hit a wall trying to install DocFetcher in my Mint system due to a few reasons:
- The app only comes in 'portable' version that doesn't integrate with your operating system.
- For some reason, the daemon included doesn't run, no matter in which way I try to run it.
- Im unsure my current Java Runtime Environment meets the specifications necessary.
- There seem to be outdated tutorials available. I followed the steps in a post from 2016, about properly installing DocFetcher in Mint. Some steps were not possible due to missing components, and others simply didn't produce the expected outcome. So I carefully undid everything I read from that post. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=234643

# Why DocFetcher
- It is crucial for me to have a way of searching for text content inside documents, which to my surprise seems to be a rarity in Linux.
- I tried Recoll but had issues with it in Mint. The results didn't include any of my .odt, .docx, .md files at all. I looked at the settings but couldn't find any option to choose which filetypes to include in the search. Plus, the gui made it hard to read the results with a dark theme on Nemo; fonts were black and undistinguishable with dark theme.

Any wise and generous souls wish to enlighten a fellow Penguin in his quest for the perfect system?
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Help Installing DocFetcher

Post by phd21 »

Hi nymphius,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

DocFetcher requires Java but Java 11 which is installed by default in Linux Mint 19.x is not compatible with most Java applications, so install Java 8 runtime and make it the default. I had Java 8 set as default but apparently an update changed that recently. I personally love my KDE system's "KFind" which is awesome. SearchMonkey Java works very well too.

Install Java 8 runtime.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre wget curl
Make Java 8 the default using the command below

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config java
Just download the DocFetcher portable archive, right-click it and extract it and run either the GTK2 or GTK 3 script startup file ".sh" within that folder. You can create shortcuts to the script startup file.

SearchMonkey - Find All Files With Given Text Using SearchMonkey GUI Tool In Ubuntu - It's FOSS
- the old version in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) does not search within LibreOffice docs like odt, but the new Java version does within documents.
https://itsfoss.com/searchmonkey-search ... les-linux/

SearchMonkey Home page
* new Java version Searchmonkey JAVA v3.2.0
http://searchmonkey.embeddediq.com/

Download link for SearchMonkey Java version
https://sourceforge.net/projects/search ... r/download

FSearch - A Speedy Standalone Search Utility for Linux
https://www.fossmint.com/fsearch-search ... for-linux/

10 ways to use grep to search files in Linux - TechRepublic
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/10 ... -in-linux/

Hope this helps ...
DocFetcher portable
DocFetcher portable
DocFetcher portable
DocFetcher portable
SearchMonkey Java
SearchMonkey Java
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

nymphius wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:09 pm
I tried Recoll but had issues with it in Mint. The results didn't include any of my .odt, .docx, .md files at all. I looked at the settings but couldn't find any option to choose which filetypes to include in the search. Plus, the gui made it hard to read the results with a dark theme on Nemo; fonts were black and undistinguishable with dark theme.
If you try recoll again you need to install various helper packages for it to be able to search inside specific file formats - https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/u ... L.EXTERNAL
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
nymphius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nymphius »

Thank you phd21 for all the helpful resources!

Im now using DocFetcher's GTK3. I created an index, and put a symlink in my desktop with their funny squirrel face as icon.

My next issue is that updating the index always requires me to right click the folders on the left panel and select "update index". I'd wish to run the docfetcher-daemon-linux file so it can automatically index everything but it just won't run on my machine.

This is what I tried:
created a link for docfetcher-daemon-linux,
moved it to usr/bin
named it "docfetcher-daemon-linux"

This is what I get when I run "docfetcher-daemon-linux" on the terminal:
bash: /usr/bin/docfetcher-daemon-linux: No such file or directory

Additionally, when I double click the docfetcher-daemon-linux file it won't run like most other executables do. I've verified and all the permissions checkboxes should allow me to run it. I don't know how to handle this one...
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi nymphius,

You are welcome...

Honestly, I do not know how to get DocFetcher's daemon to run all the time, but I see it's program in their folder. I do not know if that becomes active when DocFetcher is loaded or if that is supposed to be added to your startup apps? I have not researched that. Maybe that info is available on their website or perhaps someone else knows.

I don't think you had to create any links or move it. You could, of course, copy both the DocFetcher programs including the daemon to the /user/bin folder as is.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Software & Applications”