Linux Skype app. opens keyring dialog

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sjgold85
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Skype app. opens keyring dialog

Post by sjgold85 »

LInux Skype doesn't keep its own saved passwords, if you sign in to Skype you get a plain pop up from gcr-prompter. (a Gnome Key Ring process) asking for password confirmation.

I'm dead sure the average user has got no idea what's going on.

So many dependencies and possible recursions I am not sure if there is a workable fix to make this process more user friendly. All the solutions in stack exchange and other sites seem like they'll break something else. (example: edit /etc/pam.d/DISPLAY_MANAGER)

Thinking of passing this one to the LM team as a distro feature request unless there's some better information.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Linux Skype app. opens keyring dialog

Post by gm10 »

sjgold85 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:36 am Thinking of passing this one to the LM team as a distro feature request unless there's some better information.
What feature are you requesting?

You only need to unlock the login keyring once per session. It gets unlocked automatically if you actually log in by supplying your password. What you did was configure automatic logins, which means your password is unavailable which in turn means the keyring cannot be unlocked during login. It is encrypted, after all.

There's ways around that but they all lower the security of your stored passwords.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you want your password to be saved in keyring or nowhere at all. you can delete it after using skype if it makes you feel any better. in Passwords and Keys (seahorse as it's called in sunaptic (don't ask me i didn't name it) under view select: Show Any then click the LOCK next to Default Keyring unlock it then delete the Skypes

next time you use skype it will ask you to store the passwords and unlock the keyring again.
sjgold85
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sjgold85 »

Thanks... I found the seahorse app after I made the last post, so all is OK now. Have used L M since 17.00, and not come across the keyring dialog before, its non intuitive at best and scary at worst :( ...

Return to “Software & Applications”