Faust
Level 4
Level 4

USB writing tools in general , and Easy2Boot

Post by Faust » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:04 am

I was following this topic , but I didn't want to derail it -

"Having trouble putting Mint ISO on to USB using Etcher"
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=287350

Just some comments on image writing tools in general , leaving aside the issue of persistence

There appears to be no such thing as a perfect "one-size-fits-all " image writing tool .

Back when I had a bad distro-hopping habit , I tried every single tool I could find and discussed them on many forums .
Rufus is certainly one of the best writers ever , once you get used to the GUI ( plus it offers the dd method in Windows ! )
And Etcher is by far the most reliable tool for writing Raspbian images to an sd card for Pi , nothing else comes near ,
and it's a cross-platform app , but it looks like it's not good for writing a Mint ISO .

Some combinations of OS and burning tool just won't work together .
If memory serves , openSUSE only worked with one particular burning app , and no other ,
( and once upon a time , Unetbootin was the must-have tool , but no longer ) .

On the same subject I've recently been fiddling with Easy2Boot , which is yet another multi-boot tool .
It is designed to boot ANY OS , or combination of systems , from a single USB stick , and it supports UEFI and legacy boot modes ,
and it's a multi-platform app .
It appears possible to make a multi-bootable OS "collection " that can include BSD , Windows and all Linux systems on one USB drive .
They are bold claims !

http://www.easy2boot.com/

Well it might be easy to boot from it ( I've yet to find that out ) but it's certainly not particularly "easy" , as in user-friendly ,
when it comes to setting it up .
Much as I like testing such things , I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this one , mainly because I don't need it right now.

Perhaps someone else has got it running , and can share details ?
Did it take a lot of work , and was it worth it ?

Random thoughts really , but I always like to hear of other people's experiences
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

Return to “Software & Applications”