SOLVED FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
redlined

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by redlined » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:49 pm

baker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:55 pm
Hi redlined trust I have interpreted your instructions correctly.
kinda... (excepting the code tags for output pastes;D)

but I was not very clear in the steps, pushing you back towards Pjotr's site to help get FireJail installed by developer provided .deb (he recommends LTS version, safe bet for sure. I went for latest version locally to get past some issues I was having with symlinked directories)
2. sudo apt install firejail-profiles
</>
The following NEW packages will be installed:
firejail firejail-profiles
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe i386 firejail i386 0.9.52-2 [258 kB]
Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe i386 firejail-profiles all 0.9.52-2 [34.8 kB]
you've reinstalled the old version from repos again :wink:

so lets get you using the current version, 0.9.58.2 which I recommend (but considered a departure from norm by many, I do tend to go 'bleeding edge' release on packages I trust). Also note, the LTS version brings stability for business minded level of ops, current is recommended by dev for any who's Linux repos contain older versions.

So you have some options, and any one of which may help with the annoying behavior it seems FF has with repo version. Also see trytip's most recent response, this may also help clean up the firejail firefox profile you have and get what you have installed working properly.

Otherwise, to proceed, check this page:
https://firejail.wordpress.com/download-2/

Looking at that, the Decision you need to make is do you want most Current (release) version or LTS (LongTermSupport) version. Click the appropriate link and download the firejail and firetools packages from sourceforge as linked to in the developers notes on the above wordpress link posted.
LTS version or Current version and for Firetools

Note, if you install .deb it will be on you to keep it up to date as package manager won't update it until repos have a more current version. choices are current: 0.9.58.2_1 or LTS: 0.9.56
another note- installing the .deb(s) will integrate them into system package managers, namely synaptic and apt so uninstall and checking for updates will happen as expected, just you wont get updates until repos have a more current version.

anyway, once you have downloaded both the firejail and firetools deb's just double-click them, firejail first, and let gdebi-gtk check dependencies and install it for you. When it is done it confusingly reports "Same version already installed" on a blue bar at top, ignore this- it is saying it's installed is all (took me a moment or three to sort that out the first time:D). Do the same for firetools.

another option:
you could also install via PPA (also not a popular option with many, but in this case I consider it valid, especially seeing the PPA version is very recent 0.9.58-1 The nice thing about PPA installs is, once you establish trust in the PPA manager (he's got good launchpad karma:) and add them to sources in Update manager, the package will be kept up-to-date with Update manager, like everything else on LM from the repos, including ignoring the old version in repos and offering PPA updates mixed in with all other updates for your system. Always nice, imo, and no need to check dev site for new news and packages as would be required for straight .deb install..
PPA is here:
https://launchpad.net/~deki/+archive/ubuntu/firejail

to add the PPA, in terminal paste and hit enter this command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:deki/firejail && apt update

then get firetools from sourceforge (is what I'd do, versus install old from repos again) and doubletap that deb :wink:

kinda wordy above (and sry if/for repeat myself, its an injury based character flaw;) anything unsure of please do continue to ask- it certainly wont offend or annoy me (I like this sorts of stuff :mrgreen:

minor edit to clarify current version as released/sourceforge, not git/dev

User avatar
trytip
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3801
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by trytip » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:23 pm

Fred himself says not to use the LTS. just use the website to download it. https://sourceforge.net/projects/fireja ... /firejail/ and select firejail_0.9.58.2_1_amd64.deb
redlined wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:49 pm
but I was not very clear in the steps, pushing you back towards Pjotr's site to help get FireJail installed by developer provided .deb (he recommends LTS version, safe bet for sure. I went for latest version locally to get past some issues I was having with symlinked directories)
Fred Barclay wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:48 pm
trytip wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:14 am
thank you for the explanation. so don't use --ignore=nodbus unless it fails to open? i uninstalled firejail LTS when it would not open with the latest firefox and went with the github dev package which works fine, but left the --ignore option in my menu entry. i have removed that option now.
That's correct!
Also I wouldn't use the current LTS version. It has a lot of features stripped out in order for a smaller theoretical attack surface -- useful for some folks, but not most of us. (This isn't the forever plan as best I can tell, but just the way things stand now).

Also sorry I'm a month late!

Cheers!
Fred
Image

redlined

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by redlined » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:42 pm

trytip wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:23 pm
Fred himself says not to use the LTS. just use the website to download it. https://sourceforge.net/projects/fireja ... /firejail/ and select firejail_0.9.58.2_1_amd64.deb
good catch trytip! I was lost in the sauce over LinuxTips LTS as recommend in the write-up there and missed the big forest for the lone (LTS) tree...

baker, I concur, and strongly recommend download Current release from sourceforge as trytip linked. (and firetools from sourceforge as well)

or use PPA I mentioned, if that appeals more than looking for new dev release notes and/or sourceforge watching for new release(s)

baker
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by baker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi installed the following version of firejail_0.9.58.2_1_i386.deb and firetools_0.9.58_1_i386.deb I am now able to connect to Internet but no longer able to open Libra Office suite ?

redlined

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by redlined » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:04 pm

baker wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:10 pm
Hi installed the following version of firejail_0.9.58.2_1_i386.deb and firetools_0.9.58_1_i386.deb I am now able to connect to Internet but no longer able to open Libra Office suite ?
:shock:

are you trying to launch LibreOffice from Firetools, or terminal using something like firejail lowriter (for libre office writer, as an example) or if packagename is correct, firejail libreoffice (just checked, it works as expected here)

go ahead and run that command in terminal, firejail libreoffice then hit Ctrl+c in same terminal window to terminate the process and copy all that result and paste it between code tags (using </> icon to create, top left of edit box). This should show some warnings, the gtk stuff I ignore, but it may include a traceback showing what went wrong/where.

You can also view firejailed apps that are running (use another tab in terminal to keep from messing with terminal opened firejail app as discussed above) and run command: firejail --list (tl;dr note: firejail --top will give a real time view of firejail'd apps running on system, as will running "Firetools" from the systray firelauncher...

wait, have you integrated firejail into desktop?

by that I mean that after install firejail/firetools, going back into terminal where you ran additional commands: firecfg --fix-sound and sudo firecfg (this second command would "wrap" system with a firejailed behavior overall. If those two commands were not run then firejail launchers from firetools and firejail packagename in terminal will only be affecting that instance of that specified app/package as run, not anything else, afaik...

iow, if you haven't run those commands, and logged off or restarted, I am unsure why Office suite would be affected :?

this may seem a bit confusing and painful at first, but it does ease up on the brain-activity shortly and adds a real sense of calm once you understand it due to the security firejail provides us.

baker
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by baker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:45 am

Hi redlined pleased see you you are still onboard with this one.

I am trying to run libreoffice writer outside of firejail. When you try and open the application you just get the circular time trying to open the application ? many thanks

1. $ firejail libreoffice
Reading profile /etc/firejail/libreoffice.profile
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-common.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-devel.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-passwdmgr.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-programs.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/whitelist-var-common.inc
Parent pid 1723, child pid 1724
Warning fseccomp: --protocol not supported on this platform
Blacklist violations are logged to syslog
Child process initialized in 144.91 ms
Warning: an existing sandbox was detected. /usr/bin/libreoffice will run without any additional sandboxing features
Warning: failed to launch javaldx - java may not function correctly
ERROR 4 forking process

Parent is shutting down, bye...
-------------------------------------------------------------
2. $ firejail --list
1744:interaccess::/usr/bin/firejail /usr/bin/xed
---------------------------------------------------------------
3. firejail --top this is the output from terminal window
PID User RES(KiB) SHR(KiB) CPU% Prcs Uptime Command
1744 interacce 53752 37328 0.0 3 00:02:09 firejail /usr/bin/xed
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. When I run the foll0wing command firefox opens in firejail this is the output in the terminal window which gives an error message ?

firejail firefox
Reading profile /etc/firejail/firefox.profile
Reading profile /etc/firejail/firefox-common.profile
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-common.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-devel.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-interpreters.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-programs.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/whitelist-common.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/whitelist-var-common.inc
Parent pid 2682, child pid 2683
Warning fseccomp: --protocol not supported on this platform
Warning: An abstract unix socket for session D-BUS might still be available. Use --net or remove unix from --protocol set.
Post-exec seccomp protector enabled
Seccomp list in: @clock,@cpu-emulation,@debug,@module,@obsolete,@raw-io,@reboot,@resources,@swap,acct,add_key,bpf,fanotify_init,io_cancel,io_destroy,io_getevents,io_setup,io_submit,ioprio_set,kcmp,keyctl,mount,name_to_handle_at,nfsservctl,ni_syscall,open_by_handle_at,personality,pivot_root,process_vm_readv,ptrace,remap_file_pages,request_key,setdomainname,sethostname,syslog,umount,umount2,userfaultfd,vhangup,vmsplice, check list: @default-keep, prelist: adjtimex,clock_adjtime,clock_settime,settimeofday,stime,modify_ldt,vm86,vm86old,lookup_dcookie,perf_event_open,process_vm_writev,delete_module,finit_module,init_module,_sysctl,afs_syscall,bdflush,break,create_module,ftime,get_kernel_syms,getpmsg,gtty,lock,mpx,prof,profil,putpmsg,query_module,sgetmask,ssetmask,stty,sysfs,ulimit,uselib,ustat,vserver,ioperm,iopl,kexec_load,reboot,set_mempolicy,migrate_pages,move_pages,mbind,swapon,swapoff,acct,add_key,fanotify_init,io_cancel,io_destroy,io_getevents,io_setup,io_submit,ioprio_set,kcmp,keyctl,mount,name_to_handle_at,nfsservctl,open_by_handle_at,personality,pivot_root,process_vm_readv,ptrace,remap_file_pages,request_key,setdomainname,sethostname,syslog,umount,umount2,vhangup,vmsplice,
Child process initialized in 130.21 ms
Warning: an existing sandbox was detected. /usr/bin/firefox will run without any additional sandboxing features

(firefox:9): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 11:40:18.558: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix” for address “DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus”
-------------------

User avatar
trytip
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3801
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by trytip » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:15 am

what's the issue now?
Image

baker
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by baker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi installed the following version of firejail_0.9.58.2_1_i386.deb and firetools_0.9.58_1_i386.deb I am now able to connect to Internet via firejail firefox but no longer able to open Libra Office suite in stand alone mode or from within firejail.

baker
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by baker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:58 pm

baker wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:08 pm
Update I am now able to access firefox via firejail and also able to access libra office suite. Two final question

1. When I run firejail firefox from the terminal firefox opens and connects to internet. However, the following error message appears at the end of the script in the terminal window.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
firefox:9): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 20:38:16.663: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix” for address “DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus”
[Parent 9, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (49): Connection reset by peer: file /build/firefox-89cxoO/firefox-65.0+linuxmint1+tessa/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 349
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Do I need to run the following commands firecfg --fix-sound and sudo firecfg ?

Having got it working I do not want to mess it up although I have taken a timestamp.
Many thanks for all your help on this one much appreciated.

redlined

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by redlined » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:21 pm

baker wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:45 am
Hi redlined pleased see you you are still onboard with this one.

I am trying to run libreoffice writer outside of firejail. When you try and open the application you just get the circular time trying to open the application ? many thanks
for sure, where I lack in experience I usually manage to hide the fact using genuine enthusiasm :mrgreen:

and I am quickly falling out of my experience comfort zone in troubleshooting this. (and glad to see trytip pop back in for a noise check:)

The office (and firefox) errors I do not understand, actually I'm thinking you have integrated firejail into system (your --list result showed xed, did you run in terminal or use firetool launcher to open xed? if not, then I'd say it's integrated. which may have something to do with libreoffice spinning for you- but I'm not sure, even though this seems to be culprit "Warning: failed to launch javaldx - java may not function correctly ERROR 4 forking process"
2. $ firejail --list
1744:interaccess::/usr/bin/firejail /usr/bin/xed
---------------------------------------------------------------
3. firejail --top this is the output from terminal window
PID User RES(KiB) SHR(KiB) CPU% Prcs Uptime Command
1744 interacce 53752 37328 0.0 3 00:02:09 firejail /usr/bin/xed
my list:

Code: Select all

anyuser@anywhere:~$ firejail --list
13921:anyuser::/usr/bin/firejail /usr/bin/audacious 
16155:anyuser:libreoffice:/usr/bin/firejail /usr/bin/libreoffice --writer file:///home/anyuser/Documents/Untitled%201.odt 
29180:anyuser::/usr/bin/firejail /usr/bin/transmission-gtk 
30849:anyuser::/usr/bin/firejail /usr/bin/claws-mail 
audacious, claws and transmission get firejailed automatically due to system integration. I manually opened in terminal firejail libreoffice and got similar report to yours (except that java warn and error 4). Once LO opened I selected writer from the left side and made a quick doc then closed it all.

also, note, my regular run (system firejailed) apps address in that --list report. The manual one, libreoffice has a different address reported, this is what I semi-expected to see with your list showing xed (text editor). Seeing your xed line look like my other apps lines has me still thinking you've firejailed system (using the sudo firecfg command, sometime since install). although I could be way wrong on this idea and the diff there may be because I have integrated to system, as well ran a manual firejail libreoffice... yah, my bug finding skills suck as bad as my log grepping skills for troubleshooting.. I tend to take a shotgun approach and if I cannot narrow it down well enough I resort to BFR considerations to move forward :twisted:

try firejail lowriter and see if that opens LOffice Writer for you.

Also, do you still get never ending spin/hangtime trying to open LO normally (meaning either from terminal, mint menu or a launcher somewhere?
same with Writer, direct open (no firejail) is it broke too?
and not meaning to question the obvious, but they did work fine before installing firejail? :?

try run libreoffice by itself from terminal, and if it errors up or delays too long just hit Ctrl+c to kill it. If it fails to launch and there is anything significant looking in the terminal report paste it back here between code tags (that little </> icon, top left of edit reply box;)
oh, and if it shows any immediate "reading profile /etc/firejail type messages then I think we've confirmed system integration, lol... but still, LOffice should work, perfectly in fact. and be damn fast at opening including with system firejailed.

I don't want to jerk you around (or feel like I am), I run out of gas quickly at times like these and usually more experienced forum members check in before too long, determining and salvaging things quickly.

Otherwise, lets see what trytip comes up with :idea:

redlined

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by redlined » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:32 pm

baker wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:58 pm
Update I am now able to access firefox via firejail and also able to access libra office suite. Two final question

1. When I run firejail firefox from the terminal firefox opens and connects to internet. However, the following error message appears at the end of the script in the terminal window.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
firefox:9): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 20:38:16.663: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix” for address “DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus”
[Parent 9, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (49): Connection reset by peer: file /build/firefox-89cxoO/firefox-65.0+linuxmint1+tessa/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 349
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Do I need to run the following commands firecfg --fix-sound and sudo firecfg ?

Having got it working I do not want to mess it up although I have taken a timestamp.
Many thanks for all your help on this one much appreciated.
ahhh, disregard my last response- I missed this post:)

real cool it's working. I'm not sure that error means much, I got a similar:

Code: Select all

(firefox:9): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 13:32:08.755: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix” for address “DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus”
but not the parent pipe line :?

about #2, if you want system integration (I prefer it) then run those two commands, in terminal, in that order. Rerun sudo firecfg when you add new apps to system (I rerun it weekly) so firejail pays attention to new stuff added.

If you want more control over if/when firejail is involved then no need to run those commands, just use firetools launchers or create some desktop launchers for apps you want firejailed instances of by using the firejail config wizard (from firetools menu)

User avatar
trytip
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3801
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by trytip » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:42 pm

this is my chrome output and i was trying to get rid of the errors but they are normal since it blocks dbus. firefox gives the same output as yours and you have no need to worry. if firefox or chrome or libreoffice opens but you get dbus errors then it means firejail is doing it's job.

Code: Select all

arch01 ~ $ firejail google-chrome-stable --disable-webgl --password-store=basic --high-dpi-support=1 --force-device-scale-factor=1.07
Reading profile /usr/local/etc/firejail/google-chrome-stable.profile
Reading profile /usr/local/etc/firejail/google-chrome.profile
Reading profile /usr/local/etc/firejail/chromium-common.profile
Reading profile /usr/local/etc/firejail/disable-common.inc
Reading profile /usr/local/etc/firejail/disable-devel.inc
Reading profile /usr/local/etc/firejail/disable-interpreters.inc
Reading profile /usr/local/etc/firejail/disable-programs.inc
Reading profile /usr/local/etc/firejail/whitelist-common.inc
Reading profile /usr/local/etc/firejail/whitelist-var-common.inc
Parent pid 24559, child pid 24560
Warning: An abstract unix socket for session D-BUS might still be available. Use --net or remove unix from --protocol set.
Warning: /sbin directory link was not blacklisted
Warning: /usr/sbin directory link was not blacklisted
Child process initialized in 295.28 ms
/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome: line 45: /dev/fd/62: No such file or directory
/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome: line 46: /dev/fd/62: No such file or directory
[6:61:0216/173738.363645:ERROR:bus.cc(396)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")

(google-chrome:6): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 17:37:39.429: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix” for address “DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus”
Image

User avatar
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4207
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Bumping around in the bush

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by Fred Barclay » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm

trytip wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:42 pm
if firefox or chrome or libreoffice opens but you get dbus errors then it means firejail is doing it's job.
This.
As long as everything works as expected, dbus errors are harmless and actually mean that firejail is doing its job. :)
Image
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

redlined

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by redlined » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm
trytip wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:42 pm
if firefox or chrome or libreoffice opens but you get dbus errors then it means firejail is doing it's job.
This.
As long as everything works as expected, dbus errors are harmless and actually mean that firejail is doing its job. :)
It is how I consider it, appreciating the voice of authority on the subject as well.

baker, I'd say it's high time to mark this thread as Solved 8)

Mintymandy34
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Re: FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by Mintymandy34 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm
trytip wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:42 pm
if firefox or chrome or libreoffice opens but you get dbus errors then it means firejail is doing it's job.
This.
As long as everything works as expected, dbus errors are harmless and actually mean that firejail is doing its job. :)
Didn't know that.
Nice.
Sometimes errors are harmless. :D

baker
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: SOLVED FireJail Firefox Not Connecting to Internet

Post by baker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:49 am

redlined wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:49 pm
baker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:55 pm
Hi redlined trust I have interpreted your instructions correctly.
kinda... (excepting the code tags for output pastes;D)

but I was not very clear in the steps, pushing you back towards Pjotr's site to help get FireJail installed by developer provided .deb (he recommends LTS version, safe bet for sure. I went for latest version locally to get past some issues I was having with symlinked directories)
2. sudo apt install firejail-profiles
</>
The following NEW packages will be installed:
firejail firejail-profiles
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe i386 firejail i386 0.9.52-2 [258 kB]
Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe i386 firejail-profiles all 0.9.52-2 [34.8 kB]
you've reinstalled the old version from repos again :wink:

so lets get you using the current version, 0.9.58.2 which I recommend (but considered a departure from norm by many, I do tend to go 'bleeding edge' release on packages I trust). Also note, the LTS version brings stability for business minded level of ops, current is recommended by dev for any who's Linux repos contain older versions.

So you have some options, and any one of which may help with the annoying behavior it seems FF has with repo version. Also see trytip's most recent response, this may also help clean up the firejail firefox profile you have and get what you have installed working properly.

Otherwise, to proceed, check this page:
https://firejail.wordpress.com/download-2/

Looking at that, the Decision you need to make is do you want most Current (release) version or LTS (LongTermSupport) version. Click the appropriate link and download the firejail and firetools packages from sourceforge as linked to in the developers notes on the above wordpress link posted.
LTS version or Current version and for Firetools

Note, if you install .deb it will be on you to keep it up to date as package manager won't update it until repos have a more current version. choices are current: 0.9.58.2_1 or LTS: 0.9.56
another note- installing the .deb(s) will integrate them into system package managers, namely synaptic and apt so uninstall and checking for updates will happen as expected, just you wont get updates until repos have a more current version.

anyway, once you have downloaded both the firejail and firetools deb's just double-click them, firejail first, and let gdebi-gtk check dependencies and install it for you. When it is done it confusingly reports "Same version already installed" on a blue bar at top, ignore this- it is saying it's installed is all (took me a moment or three to sort that out the first time:D). Do the same for firetools.

another option:
you could also install via PPA (also not a popular option with many, but in this case I consider it valid, especially seeing the PPA version is very recent 0.9.58-1 The nice thing about PPA installs is, once you establish trust in the PPA manager (he's got good launchpad karma:) and add them to sources in Update manager, the package will be kept up-to-date with Update manager, like everything else on LM from the repos, including ignoring the old version in repos and offering PPA updates mixed in with all other updates for your system. Always nice, imo, and no need to check dev site for new news and packages as would be required for straight .deb install..
PPA is here:
https://launchpad.net/~deki/+archive/ubuntu/firejail

to add the PPA, in terminal paste and hit enter this command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:deki/firejail && apt update

then get firetools from sourceforge (is what I'd do, versus install old from repos again) and doubletap that deb :wink:

kinda wordy above (and sry if/for repeat myself, its an injury based character flaw;) anything unsure of please do continue to ask- it certainly wont offend or annoy me (I like this sorts of stuff :mrgreen:

minor edit to clarify current version as released/sourceforge, not git/dev

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”