A Dolphin Mystery...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Armstrong
Level 4
Level 4

A Dolphin Mystery...

Post by Armstrong »

I am still using Linux Mint 17 KDE, and am doing so very happily. For the most part. Recently, a folder has appeared in Dolphin which I cannot identify. It is labelled "rlylSy.N9u". Any attempts to open the folder (or delete it) result in Dolphin freezing up, and I get the box informing me that Dolphin is not responding. If I go into BASH, the file is listed, but when I attempt to go to that file I am informed that the system cannot find it. As long as I leave the folder alone, everything seems find, but this seems a bit disconcerting to me. Does anyone have any idea of what has happened. Thanks for any info.
Slainte,
Hunter
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: A Dolphin Mystery...

Post by deepakdeshp »

Go to the files folder.

Code: Select all

sudo rm f
is the command to remove it. Where f is the file you wish to remove.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

can you right click on the file and go to properties and let us know who it's owner is? Should be user or root. Also what are the permissions who can access the file. It sounds suspicious.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Armstrong
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Armstrong »

kc1di wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:23 pm can you right click on the file and go to properties and let us know who it's owner is? Should be user or root. Also what are the permissions who can access the file. It sounds suspicious.
Thank you for the response. Clicking on the folder in Dolphin, either right or left, freezes Dolphin. It produces the box which says that Dolphin is not responding, and allows me to either terminate the process or wait longer. In BASH, even though I can see the file, it is not recognized when I try to access it. It's a mystery.
Armstrong
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Armstrong »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:27 pm Go to the files folder.

sudo rm f
is the command to remove it. Where f is the file you wish to remove.
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried this, also. I was informed that it is a Directory and could not be deleted. I opened it and it is just a large number of six character phrases followed by a lot of back slashes. Lots of six character phrases and lots of back slashes. Any thoughts?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

sudo rm -rd f 
Make sure that you are in the parent directory where it belongs. Use it with caution
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Software & Applications”