Best antivirus for Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jdw_11983

Best antivirus for Mint

Post by Jdw_11983 »

What's the best free antivirus for Mint Cinnamon? Looking to install one on my computer.

Thanks.
Last edited by SMG on Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking old topic.
ajgringo619

Re: Best antivirus for Mint

Post by ajgringo619 »

The best one is already installed...nothing. You really don't need one on Linux.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there is the ClamA/V that you can use - - but, as an rule: - in any Linux System - - you don't need such a program.

if you are concerned that your dual_boot system may need to be checked from the Linux System,
then you can actually boot from an Linux based A/V cd & then check your windows system, from that method:
https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHom ... -disk.html
is one, such Linux based A/V disk, but you still do need to create that disk, from windows, though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Jdw_11983,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It is well known that you do not need anti-virus software in Linux even though there are some available.

+1 for using a bootable CD/DVD disc or USB Stick of an AntiVirus rescue disk.

Here is a good post with good information as well.
Need for an antivirus.? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=238726&hilit=maldet

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

ajgringo619 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:46 pm The best one is already installed...nothing. You really don't need one on Linux.
+1

You're not going to find many virus infections in this forum.

The ones you'll find are false positives or just a misunderstanding like this recent post
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Best antivirus for Mint
--awareness and common sense
Same for any os
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

There's ClamAV if you really must have something to give the illusion of being protected, but be aware that it can generate false positives, so unless you are competent to interpret the results you are far better off without it. In reality you don't need AV software with Linux.

Having said that, it would be easy to become complacent about malware. If it is at all possible to inject malware into Linux, some devious character will find a way eventually to do so. The best protection you can apply is common sense.
Cliff Coggin
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

1.) Sandbox your apps that interact with the Internet - especially you browser with firejail
2.) Lock down your router which is much more vulnerable than your linux machine
3.) Forget AV software - they are dangerous - they have admin privileges on your machine and all of the major ones have been hacked at one point or another.
jondoe

Post by jondoe »

majpooper wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:06 pm 1.) Sandbox your apps that interact with the Internet - especially you browser with firejail
2.) Lock down your router which is much more vulnerable than your linux machine
3.) Forget AV software - they are dangerous - they have admin privileges on your machine and all of the major ones have been hacked at one point or another.
Great Answers from everyone . I particularly like majpooper's above.

I will add one tid bit.
In Linux if you need to do something with admin rights , you are only temporary logging in as Admin(sudo). It simply times out.
So if you are really paranoid, which is ok . When need to log in as Admin (sudo) Kill you internet connection first. Unless you are doing some networking
task that requires internet.

Return to “Software & Applications”