Linux Mint Internet ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ksfixitman

Linux Mint Internet ?

Post by ksfixitman »

Im thinking of installing Linux Mint on a computer for a family member that is lower then a newbie . He only need to access a few website like Face Book, Craig's list and some construction items for sale sites. Maybe send a email sometimes. No games at all. Will Linux Mint work for this ?????? I dont want to get repeated calls about it not working for him.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Linux Mint Internet ?

Post by WharfRat »

ksfixitman wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:38 pm Im thinking of installing Linux Mint on a computer for a family member that is lower then a newbie . He only need to access a few website like Face Book, Craig's list and some construction items for sale sites. Maybe send a email sometimes. No games at all. Will Linux Mint work for this ?????? I dont want to get repeated calls about it not working for him.

Thanks for the help.
Hello ksfixitman Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

The answer to your question is a definite yes.
ksfixitman

Post by ksfixitman »

Wow cool thanks.

Ok a question for me.

Gaming on Linux mint. I curious is a 21 year old game will work on this OS. Ultima Online. it gives all these requirements but it plays just fine on a old D620 Dell laptop with no graphics card running windows 7. Im even only using the old client and not the enhanced version. Just looking for a opinion if you think it will run or is Linux Mint not even able to run a game?

Minimum System Requirements.
Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Vista.
CPU: Intel® Pentium™ III 1000 MHz or AMD® Athlon™ 1000 MHz.
RAM: 512 MB or more.
Video: 64 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIA® GeForce™ 3 class card or newer, ATI® Radeon™ 9700 or newer.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

That game is for Windows users per the system requirements. I don't think it will work directly on Linux, but maybe if you go thru Wine. Never used it, so can't say for certain.
ksfixitman

Post by ksfixitman »

Thats cool. I wondered if there was a Linux program that would allow you to play windows games.

Thanks
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

There sort of is (Wine), but it does not always work and it's not really recommended for a beginner, as a first step. It's kinda finicky, and as I said, it doesn't always work.

There are lots of games that run natively on Linux. Asking 'is Linux Mint not even able to run a game?' sounds somewhat unfriendly, don't you think?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”