Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
foberle
Level 1
Level 1

Ghostscript Update 20 FEB 2019 !!! ISSUE

Post by foberle » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Hi: I don't know where to report this issue, but after applying this update on 2 different computers, my networked HP OfficeJet 6700 Printer now prints a blue background on every page, even otherwise blank second sides. Since I abandoned Windows many years ago for - among other things - what was known as "the blue screen of death" it seems appropriate I suppose that this could be a "blue printout of death" (sorry, but this was really annoying and ate up time that I really don't have at the moment).

It took me a while to troubleshoot this on the first machine I noticed it (trying different apps, reinstalling CUPS and so forth) until I realized the new update was the issue and that (after trying to print from the second machine) it was affecting both machines. One is an Intel and one is an AMD, but both are running fully updated (well, until I removed this update) versions of 64 bit Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 4.0.9 with kernel 4.15.0-45-generic.

I "restored" the ghostscript stuff from the last Timeshift and that seemed to cure the issue but I think this is a serious matter that should be addressed immediately (not the least because it's hard to read black text on a blue background and it wastes a lot of ink).

Has anyone else run into this? How does one notify the maintainers? The changelog mentions a marc.deslauriers@ubuntu.com, but I didn't know if this should be reported through the Mint team first.

Thanks ...

tj451
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Ghostscript Update 20 FEB 2019 !!! ISSUE

Post by tj451 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:39 am

I am runnning Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 and can verify that printing to networked HP inkjets after the Ghostscript update results in what you describe. I would think that since this is Ghostscript, it may impact more than Ubuntu based linux distributions.

Unfortunately for me, I just completed the install at home last weekend and had not yet turned on Timeshift. I had already moved all of my personal files to my home directory and was busy installing other packages as I had time. If someone does not issue an update or rollback other than through Timeshift, I will have to back up everything again and begin the install again consuming about 6 hours of my time by the time to get back to where I was. But next time, I will try to get Timeshift setup from the start before any updates.

Hopefully, this will be addressed quickly.

tj451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tj451 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:33 am

Since this is not a work day for me, I was able to get back to the issue of cyan backgrounds on the HP printer. I was able to force the regression of Ghostscript and associated files through the Synaptic Package Manager as someone else suggested. No more cyan backgrounds at the moment. :D

foberle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foberle » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:51 pm

FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED:

See the bug report and associated responses at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1817308

Apparently, this has been fixed upstream, and it just remains for it to make its way to the Mint update process.

Return to “Software & Applications”