Dropbox installer starts every time i log in. (resolved after reinstall)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Dropbox installer starts every time i log in. (resolved after reinstall)

Post by Midnighter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:04 am

Hi all. I did a quick search and browse, found nothing resembling this, so here i am. I can't be the only one this happens to, surely.

Linux mint 19.1 Cinnamon, fully up to date. Dropbox is installed (From the software manager) and set up, all configured. Recently backed up and reinstalled (I was trying out some other distros, I get bored easily), and had this issue last time also, assumed it was a weird config thing, which the fresh install should fix anyway. But again it's here. Installed, set up, working great. Except every time i log out and back in, or reboot and log in, the installer pops up, asking to download Dropbox AGAIN. All while Dropbox itself loads in the background, and it's icon appears, seeming to run fine. Nothing extra in the Startup Applications menu to explain it either. So, not a huge issue, but annoying just the same. And ticking the "Never show this again" box doesn't change anything. Like i said, not a huge issue, and I CAN live with it, but seriously, why should I? I don't recall this being an issue until this year. Makes no damn sense.

So, any ideas people? Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Last edited by Midnighter on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

cool
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Dropbox installer starts every time i log in.

Post by cool » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi, have you checked for Dropbox in autostart?

Code: Select all

ls -a ~/.config/autostart/
For the very latest please visit: SpaceEdge

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:56 pm

ls -a ~/.config/autostart/
. kupfer.desktop print-applet.desktop
.. mintinstall-update-flatpak.desktop redshift-gtk.desktop
dropbox.desktop mintwelcome.desktop remmina-applet.desktop
insync.desktop nvidia-prime.desktop variety.desktop

Already checked the GUI for Startup, and nothing there but the single Dropbox item either. Dropbox loads, but the installer loads AS WELL, which is confusing, and slightly annoying. And no matter how many times I tick the "Do not show this again" box, every time I log in, there it is
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

cool
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cool » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Here are a couple more places you should check for Dropbox:

ls /etc/xdg/autostart
ls /usr/share/applications
For the very latest please visit: SpaceEdge

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Had to reinstall (windows drive failed, and figured a reinstall wouldn't hurt, i keep backups on an external drive), and fresh install works fine, no dropbox issue. Still not sure WHY it was an issue

glocal
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dropbox installer starts every time i log in. (resolved after reinstall)

Post by glocal » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:55 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I tolerated it for months with 19.0 Xfce, but now with a fresh install of 19.1 I immediately got the installer at startup problem again. I can click cancel and then the dropbox client works fine, but next time I start Mint it appears again. It's very annoying. The only dropbox startup command is "dropbox start -i". Any ideas?

paijoh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paijoh » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:08 pm

cool wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:24 pm
Here are a couple more places you should check for Dropbox:

ls /etc/xdg/autostart
ls /usr/share/applications
I have the same problem, and at ls /usr/share/applications I find a file called dropbox.desktop, I rename it. When I restart my PC the installation notification was gone, but the dropbox icon on desktop panel was lost.

Return to “Software & Applications”