Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Evolution Mail Does not like gMail

Post by lsemmens »

Every time I think I've convinced it to download messages it changes settings and fails. I had it working in IMAP and it suddenly decided to change Authentication from password to OAuth2. It then proceeds to tell me, after asking for my account and password, yet again, that the OAuth2Secret not found.

I went through the process of even attempting to set it up as POP3, to no effect. It still asks for for account and password with the same message.

I like the concept of evolution in that it is a close (not close enough, apparently) emulation of M$ Outlook, so, it begs the question. Is there an alternative? Thunderbird is great for e-mail, but contact and calendar management are missing.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
hattpa
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Evolution Mail Does not like gMail

Post by hattpa »

FWIW, I migrated from Thunderbird as it 'lost' my passwords.
When I setup Evolution, all I did for gmail was to enter my gmail address and it went off and sorted everything else out, only thing I then needed was to enter password on first run
Not sure if anyone here can shed any light on the changing settings?
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain
Neil Darlow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Neil Darlow »

Hi,

How did you configure your GMail account? I've been using Evolution on Linux Mint 19 Tara and 19.1 Tessa without issues.

If you configure your Google Account in Online Account Settings a GMail account will be automatically configured for you in Evolution. The only problem I've found in using it is that there's a problem if you logout and login again where Evolution will fail to connect to GMail.

ATB,
Neil Darlow
Linux Mint 19.3, Intel Core i5 8400 2.8GHz, ASUS Prime Z370-P, Corsair Vengeance 3400 16GB, ASUS Cerberus GTX1050 Ti, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2, Western Digital Blue 4TB, Wircard RealTek 8821ae PCIe Wireless+Bluetooth 4.0, Pioneer BDR-209EBK BDRW.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Neil Darlow wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:25 am
. The only problem I've found in using it is that there's a problem if you logout and login again where Evolution will fail to connect to GMail.
Therein lies the problem. Do you leave evolution running all the time? What happens at system re-start? Are you using IMAP or POP3? My initial setup was IMAP which was OK for a short time, but now, even POP3 does not work.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

Hi lsemmens
Here are my Evolution settings for gmail:

Tip: try connect to gmail with Sylpheed:
in Sylpheed - select gmail - does this automatically and then you also have the settings...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro

Return to “Software & Applications”