[SOLVED] Xviewer, Pix keyboard shortcuts customization

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mintymandy34

[SOLVED] Xviewer, Pix keyboard shortcuts customization

Post by Mintymandy34 »

Back in Windows, I used JPEGView as my image viewer.
I customized it to always start in full screen and mouse wheel to scroll through images.
Sometimes I've to scroll through 100 or more images to select one for the mood board.
Mouse scrolling allowed me to scroll through them really fast and select the images by hitting a button on the keyboard to save it to Ditto.

The default image viewer in Mint 19.1 is Xviewer.
I can't find any way to customize keyboard shortcuts or mouse buttons to control it.
I've Pix too, can't find any such settings there.

I would really love it if someone can suggest me a way this(mouse scrolling) could be implemented here in Xviewer or Pix.
If it can't be implemented, I'm open to alternatives. :)

SOLUTION:
Use PhotoQt.
PhotoQt is highly configurable.
Another good alternative is gThumb.
For a lightweight image-scroller, use GPicView.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TLMAC

Re: Xviewer, Pix keyboard shortcuts customization

Post by TLMAC »

Mintymandy34

I'm using XnView version 0.84 X64 and found this page a few years ago. It identifies XnView's predefined shortcut keys.

XnView Shortcut Keys:
https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5069

I have not tried all the shortcuts. However, those I use regularly are still functioning today.

Good Luck & Hope This Helps...
Mac
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I second XnViewMP. It is a very capable image viewer, it has a basic set of tools for editing images, batch processing tools for renaming and converting images, and it can be customized. It is fast and responsive, and it is free for non-commercial use.

You can download the .DEB from https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/.

If you do not want to install the XnViewMP, it is also available as an AppImage at https://download.xnview.com/. Scroll about 3/4 down the page and look for XnView_MP-0.931.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage. Download the file, make it executable, and run.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Mintymandy34

Post by Mintymandy34 »

TLMAC wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:45 pm Mintymandy34

I'm using XnView version 0.84 X64 and found this page a few years ago. It identifies XnView's predefined shortcut keys.

XnView Shortcut Keys:
https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5069

I have not tried all the shortcuts. However, those I use regularly are still functioning today.

Good Luck & Hope This Helps...
Mac
BenTrabetere wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:40 pm I second XnViewMP. It is a very capable image viewer, it has a basic set of tools for editing images, batch processing tools for renaming and converting images, and it can be customized. It is fast and responsive, and it is free for non-commercial use.

You can download the .DEB from https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/.

If you do not want to install the XnViewMP, it is also available as an AppImage at https://download.xnview.com/. Scroll about 3/4 down the page and look for XnView_MP-0.931.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage. Download the file, make it executable, and run.
Thank you both.
I also used XnView MP in Windows but I used it as an image browser, it's quite capable.
I've the AppImage here in Linux, but if I don't integrate with the system, I don't know how I could select it as preferred application so images by default open with it.
I have digikam as an image browser here, but XnView Mp might be a suitable candidate for the image viewer standards.

BenTrabetere, what do you think is suitable for my case?
.deb or the AppImage?
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I think installing XnView using the .deb is the better choice. I the installed version of XnView is faster and more responsive than the AppImage, and it is a lot easier to set up as the default image viewer. I suggested the AppImage because it is a low-impact way to take XnView for a test drive.

As for digiKam, I like, use and recommend it for image management, but I think XnView is a better choice for browsing/viewing images.
Mintymandy34

Post by Mintymandy34 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:28 am I think installing XnView using the .deb is the better choice. I the installed version of XnView is faster and more responsive than the AppImage, and it is a lot easier to set up as the default image viewer. I suggested the AppImage because it is a low-impact way to take XnView for a test drive.

As for digiKam, I like, use and recommend it for image management, but I think XnView is a better choice for browsing/viewing images.
Are you talking about XnView or XnView MP?
I thought only XnView MP was available for Linux.
I think I was wrong.
I will install XnView using the .deb then, thanks for the recommendation. :D
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Any reference to XnView should be read as XnView MP. XnView Classic (not MP) is a nice program, but it is Windows only - it will run under Wine and POL, but I would never consider or recommend doing that.

At one time XnView Classic offered features that were not available to XnView MP; as XnView MP has matured that list has gotten a lot shorter. Sometimes XnView MP has too many features for my needs, and so I offer...

... another image viewer to consider: Geeqie. It can be installed from Software Manager. More information is at http://www.geeqie.org/.

I use several image viewers, but only two make it to Default status - XnView MP and Geeqie. Right now it is Geeqie - I prefer it over XnView MP because the interface is more minimal, I do not need the image editing tools, and it loads slightly faster. I prefer XnView MP because I find it easier to change the size of the thumbnail images in the browser window.
Mintymandy34

Post by Mintymandy34 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:21 am Any reference to XnView should be read as XnView MP. XnView Classic (not MP) is a nice program, but it is Windows only - it will run under Wine and POL, but I would never consider or recommend doing that.
Thanks, I installed XnView MP and restored the settings I had backed up from the one I had in Windows and it feels like I never left. :)
Scrolling through images with mouse wheel works too and I've retained the custom keyboard settings, so it turned out to be a fantastic alternative. :D
Yes, I have had used XnView, but I liked the MP version more.
BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:21 am At one time XnView Classic offered features that were not available to XnView MP; as XnView MP has matured that list has gotten a lot shorter. Sometimes XnView MP has too many features for my needs, and so I offer...

... another image viewer to consider: Geeqie. It can be installed from Software Manager. More information is at http://www.geeqie.org/.
Geeqie, has keymapping features?
Yeah, MP is feature packed for a simple image viewer. :lol:
BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:21 am I use several image viewers, but only two make it to Default status - XnView MP and Geeqie. Right now it is Geeqie - I prefer it over XnView MP because the interface is more minimal, I do not need the image editing tools, and it loads slightly faster. I prefer XnView MP because I find it easier to change the size of the thumbnail images in the browser window.
You use several image viewers?
Is it for support for different image file formats, like some obscure formats?
XnView MP is good with light editing, I liked JPEGView for the same reason, lightweight, but still featured basic image editing features.
I'll try Geeqie, I'll switch to it if it's better. :D
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Mintymandy34 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:00 pm You use several image viewers?
Is it for support for different image file formats, like some obscure formats?
It is nothing that practical or sensible. I have viewers I use for specific tasks, but frequently I use Open With and chose one that suits my mood at the moment.

Most of the time my default image viewer is XnView MP or Geeqie. One of the first steps in my photography workflow is to review the images and cull any that will not be processed. I like to use an image viewer that has a histogram and has a file browser that allows me to increase the size of the thumbnails easily. Both work nicely for that. At one time Gwenview was my favorite for this work, but then it got all wobbly and I gave up on it.

Another image viewer I use somewhat regularly is Mirage - it is a no-frills image viewer, and I use it when I want to look at a single image quickly. I use feh when working from a terminal, and for single images I sometimes use Pix or Xviewer.
Mintymandy34

Post by Mintymandy34 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:34 am It is nothing that practical or sensible. I have viewers I use for specific tasks, but frequently I use Open With and chose one that suits my mood at the moment.
Nice. :)
BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:34 am Most of the time my default image viewer is XnView MP or Geeqie. One of the first steps in my photography workflow is to review the images and cull any that will not be processed. I like to use an image viewer that has a histogram and has a file browser that allows me to increase the size of the thumbnails easily. Both work nicely for that. At one time Gwenview was my favorite for this work, but then it got all wobbly and I gave up on it.
I kind of feel it at home with XnView MP, honestly I've not tested that much of Geeqie, with some tweaking I might bend it more to my likings. :D
I use PureRef for mood-boards, so selection is now done with XnView MP, CopyQ for Ditto.
JPEGView had basic editing tools in the fullscreen mode, don't have that in XnView MP, so I've set it to switch to Viewer Mode on middle-click.
I like the histogram and exif tool in XnView MP. :)
BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:34 am Another image viewer I use somewhat regularly is Mirage - it is a no-frills image viewer, and I use it when I want to look at a single image quickly. I use feh when working from a terminal, and for single images I sometimes use Pix or Xviewer.
Will try Mirage and feh at some point. :)
But I don't think Pix or Xviewer are going to get any attention anytime soon. :cry:
I would love if these features come to Pix or Xviewer in future, a little more customization and a little more editing tools will seal the deal for me. :D

What do you use for generating contact sheets or thumbnail sheets in Mint? :?:
I've left Photoshop for good, so no more Photoshop Contact Sheet option for me.
I'm searching for it, I'm trying to make PureRef generate it, but it's a little messy.
I would love to know if you use any app for that. :)
And I would really appreciate it if you could share your Photography workflow. (I've got some idea about it from your AppImage recommendations, but deeper knowledge will be gold for me). :D

Thanks for the recommendations. :D
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Mintymandy34 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:39 pmWhat do you use for generating contact sheets or thumbnail sheets in Mint? :?:
I've left Photoshop for good, so no more Photoshop Contact Sheet option for me.
The Contact Sheet tool was one of the last reasons I continued to use Photoshop. XnView has a Contact Sheet tool, but I never liked it. Life became more better when I discovered how to use ImageMagick.

I use the ImageMagick montage tool to create contact prints. The montage command I use creates a PDF contact print that has up to 24 thumbnails per page, each thumbnail is 250x250 in size with the filename as a label. If there are 25+ JPGs in the directory it generates a multi-page PDF.

Code: Select all

montage -verbose -label '%f' -font Helvetica -pointsize 12 -background '#D3D3D3' -fill 'black' -define jpeg:size=250x250 -frame 6x6+2+2 -geometry 250x250+2+2 -tile 4x6 -auto-orient *.jpg ContactPrint.pdf
I use the ImageMagick convert tool to create a PDF slide show of JPGs. The command I use is

convert *.jpg -resize 25% output.pdf

I will share my workflow later. Long day.
Mintymandy34

Post by Mintymandy34 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:35 pm The Contact Sheet tool was one of the last reasons I continued to use Photoshop. XnView has a Contact Sheet tool, but I never liked it. Life became more better when I discovered how to use ImageMagick.
Yes, same case here, I didn't like XnView's Contact Sheet tool, not much configuration options.
BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:35 pm I use the ImageMagick montage tool to create contact prints. The montage command I use creates a PDF contact print that has up to 24 thumbnails per page, each thumbnail is 250x250 in size with the filename as a label. If there are 25+ JPGs in the directory it generates a multi-page PDF.
I have heard nothing but heaps of praises about ImageMagick everywhere.
BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:35 pm

montage -verbose -label '%f' -font Helvetica -pointsize 12 -background '#D3D3D3' -fill 'black' -define jpeg:size=250x250 -frame 6x6+2+2 -geometry 250x250+2+2 -tile 4x6 -auto-orient *.jpg ContactPrint.pdf
Pure gold. :)
I use 5 columns and infinite rows scheme, so I guess, I will have to hack this for my case. :D
BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:35 pm I use the ImageMagick convert tool to create a PDF slide show of JPGs. The command I use is

convert *.jpg -resize 25% output.pdf
Same here, I also convert to PDF, it just gives better viewing capabilities. :)
BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:35 pm I will share my workflow later. Long day.
Thanks. :D
Mintymandy34

Post by Mintymandy34 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:35 pm The Contact Sheet tool was one of the last reasons I continued to use Photoshop. XnView has a Contact Sheet tool, but I never liked it. Life became more better when I discovered how to use ImageMagick.
I tried ImageMagick.
It was good.
But I had hard luck finding a proper GUI version of this.

I searched for a GUI version 'cause I can't find a way to quick preview an effect or tool without applying the effects and creating new images.
How do you use a quick preview for ImageMagick so you could test what option does what and only apply when you're satisfied with it?
I used the display command to launch ImageMagick's default GUI but couldn't find montage there.
While searching for ImageMagick's GUI I found Converseen but I read it was just for converting images from one format to another.
Another one I found was nip2, it looks cool, but I've no idea how to use it.

Let me know if you use any techniques to implement quick preview to test out different options and their combinations in ImageMagick.
Thanks for recommending ImageMagick, it's powerful and I'll add it to my workflow. :D
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Mintymandy34 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am
I tried ImageMagick.
It was good.
But I had hard luck finding a proper GUI version of this.
ImageMagick is a suite of command line tools. There are GUI applications that act as a front-end to ImageMagick - e.g., the IM convert tool is what drives Converseen.
Let me know if you use any techniques to implement quick preview to test out different options and their combinations in ImageMagick.
I learned to use ImageMagick searching the interwebs and using the poke-and-hope method to find commands that gave me the results I wanted.

Here are a couple of websites I found interesting.

http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/index.php
https://rubblewebs.co.uk/imagemagick/im ... k.php#div2
iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Post by iain_33 »

I use XnView MP for organising and captioning my photos, but for simple viewing / scrolling through I've been using Mirage - but I've found it troublesome. I find it's a bit slow to open an image there's loads in the folder, it hangs if I scroll through too quickly, and doesn't always rotate images correctly (eg. a portrait photo will be on its side, if I rotate it in Mirage then it'll be on its side in any other app).

But I'm looking forward to trying geeqie - thanks for the tips.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
Mintymandy34

Post by Mintymandy34 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:33 am ImageMagick is a suite of command line tools. There are GUI applications that act as a front-end to ImageMagick - e.g., the IM convert tool is what drives Converseen.
Yes, Converseen is targeted towards conversion only.
Couldn't find anything that had all the features of ImageMagick but I read posts on their forum that a full-featured front-end is a difficult job 'cause IM has a large number of options which can become complicated in a GUI version.
Their community has hinted at the idea of implementing a subset of IM's capability targeted towards average users in a GUI version.
BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:33 am I learned to use ImageMagick searching the interwebs and using the poke-and-hope method to find commands that gave me the results I wanted.

Here are a couple of websites I found interesting.

http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/index.php
https://rubblewebs.co.uk/imagemagick/im ... k.php#div2
Thanks for these.
I read IM's documentation but without visual examples some tools and options really become enough confusing to stray away from the desired results.
Hey, I think, IM has a large user base, so haven't they compiled the examples to each and every option, if not, since I'm starting with IM, I'll document my process and compile a list of options and their examples.
Thanks.
iain_33 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:47 am I use XnView MP for organising and captioning my photos, but for simple viewing / scrolling through I've been using Mirage - but I've found it troublesome. I find it's a bit slow to open an image there's loads in the folder, it hangs if I scroll through too quickly, and doesn't always rotate images correctly (eg. a portrait photo will be on its side, if I rotate it in Mirage then it'll be on its side in any other app).

But I'm looking forward to trying geeqie - thanks for the tips.
I've some experience with XnView MP, it's fast and powerful.
Geeqie seems nice to me, but I'm yet to configure it like I configured XnView MP.
Only then, I'll be able to find the best option for me.
Currently, I extensively use XnView MP.
I'll test Mirage in a few days, I'll look out for the issues you're talking about.
Since my basic needs for a viewer is hyper-speed scrolling in full-screen with minimal distractions, XnView MP serves me good.
XnView MP with default settings ain't ideal as a viewer for my case, but since it allows a lot of configurations, I bend it the way I like.
Thanks for your reply.

Return to “Software & Applications”