Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
foberle
Level 1
Level 1

iBus Intelligent Pinyin facility

Post by foberle » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:19 am

I'm using Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 4.0.10 with Kernel 4.15.0-46-generic, and ibus-libpinyin 1.9.2-2 for Chinese input.

Does anyone know if there is a way to either:

1) change the size of the options that appear when entering text? At my age it's difficult enough to distinguish between English letters "g" and "q" at small sizes, so trying to make out differences between more complex Han characters such as "禾" and "米" makes the eyes water ...

2) change the position at which the options appear. They seem to attach themselves to the bottom of the active window rather than to a point immediately below or above the cursor position. This also results in a lot of eye movement, making it a bit tricky to keep refocusing on the right location - I'm far too old for such "eye gymnastics."

I realize that most native Chinese typists typically use fcitx, but I use iBus successfully for ten other Scripts/Languages so would prefer to use it for Chinese as well if possible; in any case, having both iBus and fcitx running under any Gnome-based system has been extremely problematic over the past few years.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: iBus Intelligent Pinyin facility

Post by Lord Boltar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:18 pm

IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

foberle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: iBus Intelligent Pinyin facility

Post by foberle » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 am

I have not. My understanding, however, is that SunPinYin only supports simplified characters. That is actually my main interest at the moment since I'm looking at "official" Mandarin, but I'd also like to be able to support the traditional characters for non-Communist locales.

If I get a chance, though, I'll install it and give it a try just to see if it has better customization capabilities. Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “Software & Applications”