Install two versions of wine. Is it possible or desirable?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steveis2
Level 3
Level 3

Install two versions of wine. Is it possible or desirable?

Post by steveis2 »

Hi,
I'd like to install a more recent version of wine than the one that comes with Linux Mint by default (1.6). However is it possible to do that while keeping the earlier version? If I don't keep the earlier version is it likley that windows programs I installed using the ealier version will still work, specifically Bitannica ultimate encyclopedia. Or should I just uninstall the windows programs, uninstall the ealy version of wine, then install the newer version of wine and then install the windows programs?

Regards Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Install two versions of wine. Is it possible or desirable?

Post by pbear »

Several things to know.

1. No, you can't have two versions installed the regular way. Supposedly Play on Linux simulates it somehow (by manipulating settings, I think), but I've never used it. So, if you want to install the current version (4.0), you first purge the old one.

2. Purging Wine does not remove your installed Windows apps. That's intentional.

3. I have three version of Wine installed, on separate systems, of course. I like 1.6 the best, so don't upgrade without a reason, i.e., something you want to install which doesn't work in the old version but you have reason to believe will work in the new one.

4. The instructions for installing 4.0 seem to trip up lots of folks. Be sure to take a Timeshift snapshot first. If you don't have TS installed, do so.

5. Here's how you do the reinstall, based on WineHQ. Using copy and paste, run one line at a time:

Code: Select all

apt purge wine*
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo apt-key add winehq.key
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
The first line removes Wine 1.6. You don't need sudo for the apt command (it's implied), but you'll be asked for a password. I've omitted the add architecture step in the official instructions, as it's not needed in Mint. After you've installed 4.0, you have to run winecfg in Terminal. Also, be aware direct install of Wine does not include the menu entries you had in 1.6, though you will get menu entries for installed apps.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Install PlayOnLinux. With it you can install as many wine versions you wamt.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

richyrich wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:27 pmInstall PlayOnLinux. With it you can install as many wine versions you wamt.
Do you have the bandwidth to walk him through it? I don't use PoL. Found it hella buggy, actually, though of course that could have been operator error.
steveis2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by steveis2 »

Hi, I've been trying playonlinux but not had any success. I think I'll stick with the wine version that MINT installs.

Regards Steve
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Thanks for following up. Lots of folks don't bother. And bear in mind, you always can try 4.0 later, if an app comes along for which it's worth having.

Return to “Software & Applications”