Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
barneyblogggs
Level 1
Level 1

Timeshift backups

Post by barneyblogggs »

In my Timeshift I have configured my Home directory to be backed up (I think)
My Exludes list contains entries beginning with a '+' which the guidance states entries beginning with a + will actually be included rather than excluded
Entries of concern are
+ /root/.**
+ /home/myusername/.**
+ /home/myusername/.***

then underneath these entries I see
/root/**
/home/myusername/***

So the question I would like to ask is, will this backup actually backup my home directory or not.
I did a test where I created a text file called "test.txt" in which I entered some random garbage by mashing the keys.
I performed an on demand backup
I then deleted the test.txt file from my computer then carried out a restore.
The test.txt file was not restored.

How do I get timeshift to backup my home directory and not just the hidden folders as denoted by /.**

Is this possible?

Regards,
barneyblogggs

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Timeshift backups

Post by AndyMH »

In timeshift settings click on the radio button under + and against your home folder. In the screenshot mine is turned off.
Screenshot from 2019-04-16 00-16-04.png
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

note that the Timeshift Program is mainly used to restore the Operating System Settings,
- rather than your own personal data ..

you can use the Mint Backup Tool - for backing up your own data - though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Understand you're going to a lot of trouble to disable one of the main things Timeshift strives to achieve, which is the ability to restore your system without losing data files. If you need to restore the system to its configuration a month ago, you do not (generally) want to lose the documents you added in the meantime, nor the document edits made during that month. That's why you should use a separate method for backing up data files.

Back in Time and Grsync are two options which get good reviews. (Can't speak from personal experience, as I do this manually with rsync.) The built-in Mint backup tool isn't worth having, imho, as it can't do incremental backups, but might be workable if you haven't much to back up.

barneyblogggs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barneyblogggs »

Hey all,
Many thanks for the replies. I must say that I did try the Mint Backup Tool first and didnt like it. This was my reason for settling on Timeshift.
Since I posted my original question I have now installed grsync and performed a backup, so will use both going forward.

regards,
barneyblogggs

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AndyMH »

Good choice - not using timeshift for /home. I use timeshift, with backintime for /home.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

barneyblogggs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barneyblogggs »

How long does your timeshift / backintime backup take?
Im currently backing up 125G and it takes me c.1 to 1.5 hrs. I tend to leave this til last thing at night when im off to bed.

barneyblogggs

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AndyMH »

To solve the speed problem, I installed HDDs (bog standard 5400rpm cheap drives) in the ultrabay in my laptops. Use them only for backup. Cos it's sata3 it's fast :D . Root is about 17G, think first time round timeshift took maybe a few minutes, don't notice the daily snapshots running in the background.

it-place
Level 1
Level 1

Post by it-place »

Hi!

I think the best way is to split data protection in two parts as discussed above (system data and personal data). For me timeshift is perfect for saving the most important files of my system (I decided to create one snapshop per boot).

For my personal data I'm using "Lucky backup" which is a GUI for rsync. It is easy to use and has a lot of useful features (e.g. saving snapshots of your backed up files). :wink:

Best Regards - Oliver

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AndyMH »

I think the best way is to split data protection in two parts as discussed above (system data and personal data).
Couldn't agree more. Timeshift for the system, and for me, backintime for my data. Both running automatically backing up daily.

barneyblogggs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barneyblogggs »

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.
After testing on a different computer I have settled on the following:
external HDD with two partitions (1)timeshift, (2)grsync both ext4
Am gonna use timeshift as suggested by you guys to backup the OS, and grsync to backup my files.
Gotta admit to having a bit of a Homer Simpson moment when testing a restore <doh!> I was looking for the restore button :oops:
Then I realised almost immediately that you just switch the Source and Destination locations (its been a long week at work!)

Thanks all

barneyblogggs

Return to “Software & Applications”