Print tiff to PDF

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bigfridge

Print tiff to PDF

Post by bigfridge »

Hi all. I’m been using mint 19.1 for 2 months and have enjoyed it so far. I have come across from windows which I still use in a Vm with Windows for cad work.
I need to print multi page tiff files, a3 or A2Z size, to PDF format.

Is there any software that will do the following: print a tiff file to PDF with the following options, allow select destination name and save location, multiple paper sizes, scale to fit to page, select image quality.

I view the tiff files in evince but have had no success with the default print to file option or with cups.... both refuse to print in landscape mode. They will print in portrait and cut sections off the PDF.

Windows has many applications that do this, but I was hoping Linux had an alternative???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Print tiff to PDF

Post by xenopeek »

I'd suggest to use GIMP instead. It comes installed on Linux Mint by default. Open the tiff file in GIMP, modify it as needed (like scale to proper print resolution), and try printing to PDF from there or try exporting to PDF. At least here printing to PDF from GIMP has all the options you asked about.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Imagemagick already knows how to do this...
convert oxo.png oxo.tiff ### Knows about PNG and TIFF.
convert oxo.tiff oxo.pdf ### Knows about PDF too.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Scribus is also an option...
bigfridge

Post by bigfridge »

Thanks for the suggestions... of these choices presented none really suited my needs at all. I really just want concert the files.... gimp will not open multi page files really. It mashes them all on the one workspace overlaid. Imagemagick.... worst GUI of all time, and I’m a little bit slow to use the command line for the file conversion.
Scribus will not even open the tiff files I use.

Finally I found gscan2pdf which works like treat!!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Just out of curiosity: TIFF is one of the oldest image formats, but well documented and generally applicable across platforms in all graphics programs.
Are your TIFF's compressed?
ZIP or LZW would be an option here - this has caused me problems from time to time.

Return to “Software & Applications”