19.1 Making Wine work

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
natchezjohn
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:35 pm
Location: Natchez, MS U.S.A

19.1 Making Wine work

Post by natchezjohn »

Not long ago while trying to solve some Wine issues with 19.1 I included the comment "19.1 sux". I have been a dedicated mint mate user for a long time but when I installed 19.1 I tore my hair out trying to get Wine working (as much as I disliked Windows I ran into 2 programs I can't live without) but gave up and installed Ubuntu Mate. Ubuntu's OK but a little wonky for me, it's appearance is hokey, and it's just not as intuitive as mint. I kept going back to mint 19.1 trying to solve the Wine issue. VIOLA!!! IT'S VERY SIMPLE - INSTALL WINE 4. Then you get back the "Wine Windows Program Loader" option on right click. I tried a bunch of methods to install Wine 4 but the best is at https://kifarunix.com/how-to-install-wi ... ebian-9-8/ . It's instructions to install on Debian but it works VERY well on Mint. I'M BAAACK!
I don't know much - but at least I know what I don't know
User avatar
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8850
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Potemkin Village

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Flemur »

natchezjohn wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:27 pm
I tried a bunch of methods to install Wine 4 but the best is at https://kifarunix.com/how-to-install-wi ... ebian-9-8/ .
Much better to use the wine instructions specifically for Mint/Ubuntu:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
natchezjohn
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:35 pm
Location: Natchez, MS U.S.A

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by natchezjohn »

Whatever works best for you. Wine 4 is the issue, no need for Winetricks,Play on Linux, etc.
I don't know much - but at least I know what I don't know
pbear
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5664
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by pbear »

You're missing the point. It's not helpful to refer folks to a tutorial written for a different operating system. And unnecessary since WineHQ has instructions for doing this in Mint. BTW, it's water under the bridge for you now, but not difficult to get the Program Loader in 3.0.
Mint Lounger
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Mint Lounger »

> It's not helpful to refer folks to a tutorial written for a different operating system.

:roll: That's not true, there are many times when getting the right answer is via another distro's forums or help pages (because they are different distros, not different operating systems...big diff). I've recently read a post in Reddit's Linux section, that it's a good idea to bookmark the Arch wiki, because often you'll find the right solution there, no matter what distro you actually run. If you stick to your own distro's forums trying to resolve a problem--after you've posted it a week or more previously, without any answer--you may turn into a skeleton before you get the right result, if at all. Not all forums are created equal.

My own experience with Linux has proven the wisdom of this, as I have resolved many an issue via a forum that is not specific to the distro I'm currently using.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Refurbished Thinkpad X230 dual boot Windoze 10/Linux Mint
Mint Lounger
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Mint Lounger »

> VIOLA!!! IT'S VERY SIMPLE - INSTALL WINE 4.

Thank you, Natchezjohn, for the tip. I will follow through with your suggestion re. a successful Wine install.
Refurbished Thinkpad X230 dual boot Windoze 10/Linux Mint
natchezjohn
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:35 pm
Location: Natchez, MS U.S.A

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by natchezjohn »

I had a problem with the WineHQ, can't remember what.
Last edited by natchezjohn on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know much - but at least I know what I don't know
User avatar
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8850
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Potemkin Village

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Flemur »

natchezjohn wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:40 pm
I knew (disrememberd, I'm 80 years old btw) there was a reason not to use the WineHQ thingee: Copy of my terminal
...
john@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
>
"
and you get an endlessly pulsing (after the>)
Because you have an incomplete command and an un-closed single quote; so you're recommending using weird installation instructions because you made a typing mistake with the correct instructions.

BTW It should be

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main' 
(or 'xenial'...)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
natchezjohn
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:35 pm
Location: Natchez, MS U.S.A

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by natchezjohn »

Yeah you right. Excuse me
I don't know much - but at least I know what I don't know
User avatar
GELvdH
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 am
Location: Havelock, NC USA

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by GELvdH »

I followed the instructions for loading Wine 4, now where do I find the Wine windows program loader? :oops:
User avatar
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8850
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Potemkin Village

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Flemur »

GELvdH wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:09 pm
I followed the instructions for loading Wine 4, now where do I find the Wine windows program loader? :oops:
Apparently they stopped adding wine stuff to the menu ("Apparently" because I don't use menus, so it's hearsay).

Code: Select all

wine name.exe
or
file-browser -> .exe file -> rt-click -> open with -> choose or type 'wine'.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
User avatar
GELvdH
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 am
Location: Havelock, NC USA

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by GELvdH »

OK, I have Wine working but now I have another problem with it so I better get my own post. Thanks for the help, I hope to have as much help with my new post as there has been with this one.
Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:42 am
Location: China

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Matthew_Wai »

I ran the following to bring up "Wine Windows Program Loader".
sudo ln -s /usr/share/doc/wine-stable/examples/wine.desktop /usr/share/applications/
Flemur wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:17 pm
they stopped adding wine stuff to the menu
That is true in my case.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6814
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Hoser Rob »

Mint Lounger wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:47 pm
> It's not helpful to refer folks to a tutorial written for a different operating system.

:roll: That's not true, there are many times when getting the right answer is via another distro's forums or help pages (because they are different distros, not different operating systems...big diff). ...
Bereft of clues ... hard landing ahead ...
Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:42 am
Location: China

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Matthew_Wai »

Flemur wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:47 pm
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
Under "Installing without Internet", it says the following:

Finally, on the machine without internet, install all of the packages from the flash drive:
cd /media/usb-drive/deb-pkgs
sudo dpkg -i *.deb


How could sudo dpkg -i *.deb install the packages in the correct order? How could it determine the sequence?
Mint Lounger
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Mint Lounger »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:22 pm
Mint Lounger wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:47 pm
> It's not helpful to refer folks to a tutorial written for a different operating system.

:roll: That's not true, there are many times when getting the right answer is via another distro's forums or help pages (because they are different distros, not different operating systems...big diff). ...
Bereft of clues ... hard landing ahead ...
"Bereft of clues?" Nonsense. Often, an answer to a problem never shows up in a particular forum, but if one searches other forums with different distros, sometimes the answer can be found there. Because problems are rarely distro specific. You could grow old and become a skeleton if you stuck to just one forum for help.
Refurbished Thinkpad X230 dual boot Windoze 10/Linux Mint
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6814
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Hoser Rob »

pbear wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:26 pm
You're missing the point. It's not helpful to refer folks to a tutorial written for a different operating system. ....
Yes, it IS helpful, Mint 18/19 is based on Ubuntu. And since that's the biggest distro out there, you get access to all that user base generated support.

BTW WIne is rubbish, it's a dumb hack that fails more often than not.
User avatar
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8850
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Potemkin Village

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Flemur »

Now there's an even better reason to NOT use docs for Ubuntu: as per Mint release notes, to install wine in Mint 19.1, don't use any extra repos, and install the "wine-installer" package:
https://linuxmint.com/rel_tessa_cinnamon.php
To install the stable version of WINE from WineHQ, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

 apt install --install-recommends wine-installer
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:42 am
Location: China

Re: 19.1 Making Wine work

Post by Matthew_Wai »

sudo apt-get install wine-stable was the command I used.
Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”