Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Software for creating DVD movies

Post by kato181 »

Hi peeps,
Can anyone recommend a DVD authouring program that actually DOES work? I'm running mint 19.1 cinnamon
I have installed and tried the following:
Bombono
DevedeNG
DVD Styler
None of the above will process more than 125 mpg files, so they are of no use.
I need something that works as we will be travelling O/S next year and i need to remove and then create movies off my camcorder.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Software for creating DVD movies

Post by phd21 »

Hi kato181,

All of those DVD authoring applications will work if you combine some of the videos first using a video editor, MKVtoolnix GUI, or vidcutter, "ffmpeg", ffDiaporama, and other various options which also makes creating the DVD much easier and more manageable for the end user of the DVD. Really, are you going to create 125 DVD buttons? You should be able to combine the videos by date, event, theme, something to reduce the total number of videos before adding them to a DVD authoring application.

My favorite DVD authoring application is Bombono followed by DVDstyler then DeVeDe.

Previous post
Problems with creating Video DVDs. - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=270928&hilit=bombono

I was able to easily add over 80 videos into Bombono and created DVD buttons by year and the first button would reference that first video by year and you tell it's "end action" to auto-play next specific video and so on until last video for that year which you have its end action go back to menu. Repeat for other buttons. This was a bit of a pain for so many videos where combining them first would have reduced the tasks.

Combining videos

* MKVToolNix Downloads – Matroska tools for Linux/Unix and Windows
https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html

* How to Join Videos without Conversion using MKVToolNix - Journey Bytes
https://www.journeybytes.com/2017/05/ho ... olnix.html

* [HowTo]: joining multi-part movies files with MKVtoolnix GUI - General / Tips, Tricks & How-Tos - Plex Forum
https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-joining- ... gui/113211

Concatenate videos using FFMPEG | BugCodeMaster
https://www.bugcodemaster.com/article/c ... ing-ffmpeg

dmSimpleApps: dmMediaConverter - v2.3.1
http://dmsimpleapps.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... erter.html

Install VidCutter on Ubuntu and other Linux to Easily Cut Videos
https://itsfoss.com/vidcutter-video-editor-linux/

How to Merge MP4s in Linux | Chron.com
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/merge-m ... 48674.html

Concatenate two mp4 videos into one file - Super User
https://superuser.com/questions/227315/ ... o-one-file

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kato181 »

thanx m8 for your reply. But those programs helps me to join, whereas I want to create a DVD movie on the fly, not have to join etc. But I will check them out now.
Those programs say I have 6.19gb in size, when only they are 4gb, in saying that I have a suspicion that those programs don't compress. I have windows 10 puta and the software is for sony camcorder and I have already burnt a dvd video of it, the only problem is that sony PMHome only works on windoz.
As I have installed mint on the laptop, I don't want to resort to having to re-install windoz on it whilst i'm O/S next year. Even the latest Sony camcorders do not support linux as panasonic do not either..Pity
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

DVD authoring specs limit movie tittles to 99, if I remember correctly. I don't think any Authoring app will help you here.

I never Author dvd's anymore, only for clients. Most TVs can play video files off a thumb drive anyway.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi kato181,

You are welcome...
kato181 wrote: But those programs helps me to join, whereas I want to create a DVD movie on the fly, not have to join etc. But I will check them out now. Those programs say I have 6.19gb in size, when only they are 4gb, in saying that I have a suspicion that those programs don't compress.
Some of the programs I mentioned are for combining (merging) videos to reduce the number of files that you and the DVD authoring application have to work with to create your DVD disc's.

As far as I know, these DVD authoring applications do not compress (shrink) videos.

If you want your DVD to be compatible with most DVD players (older and newer), then using the standard 4.7gb DVD disc is the best option, but you can use dual-layer DVD discs as well with an 8.5 gb capacity. I have found with Bombono that it converts most videos into mpeg before it creates the final DVD or an .iso file. Sometimes after adding your video files even if it shows more than 4.7gb, if you select to create an iso file, the final results may be smaller than 4.7gb and will fit on a regular DVD disc. You will have to try it and see (experiment). Another option, is to use a video converter like Handbrake to actually reduce the original video file sizes before adding them to a DVD authoring application. Keeping in mind that the default DVD resolution is 480p regardless of the original videos resolutions which still looks really good.
kato181 wrote:I have windows 10 puta and the software is for sony camcorder and I have already burnt a dvd video of it, the only problem is that sony PMHome only works on windoz. As I have installed mint on the laptop, I don't want to resort to having to re-install windoz on it whilst i'm O/S next year. Even the latest Sony camcorders do not support linux as panasonic do not either..Pity
Almost all video camcorders and cameras can connect with your Linux system using USB, Firewire, and or they use MicroSD type storage cards and some even use DVD discs or mini DVD discs, even WiFI, to easily transfer (copy) the videos to your system. If your video camcorder or cameras use microSD type cards then I highly recommend getting a USB microSD adapter. If you have older video camcorder(s) that use tapes, then you will need a Video For Linux (V4L) capture device, USB or Internal PCI device, to capture the video through video & audio cables or one of the many tape to digital converter devices available at places like Amazon.com some of which do not even need a computer to create digital video files.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

phd21 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:30 pm
Keeping in mind that the default DVD resolution is 480p regardless of the original videos resolutions which still looks really good.
Not in PAL/50Hz countries; it's 576p, as it will be for the OP unless it's an imported camera. But yes, the rest certainly applies. I'm surprised you didn't suggest Kdenlive, though, as that is fantastic software. I suspect there is still the limitatiton on the number of possible titles, though. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi BG405,

Thanks for pointing that out...

I forgot to mention the NTSC vs PAL differences, but what I meant was that people could convert original videos down to the maximum DVD format they want to use, NTSC (480p) or PAL (576p), (regular or widescreen), which is usually much smaller than the original videos, therefore providing more space for more videos.

I love Kdenlive as a video editor which can also combine (merge) videos, auto-resize them to match a project profile (NTSC or PAL), and much more including creating DVD structures. But, it cannot make really cool DVD menus and navigation buttons like the other DVD authoring apps can.
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

phd21 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:37 pm
Thanks for pointing that out...

I forgot to mention the NTSC vs PAL differences
No worries; it's easily overlooked, especially if unlike myself one hasn't been involved in the TV/video service trade. I actually have a pure NTSC VHS recorder I acquired for copying NTSC laser discs with & have also purchased a couple of TV series on NTSC DVD (imported) as I think it's better to get something in its native format, rather than the inferior results from a conversion (historically awful, as was the case when these were shown on British TV in the 1980s .. suspect optical conversion here, though). The worst bit is 50/60Hz conversion in modern times, I believe. At least our more modern TVs can display both formats, I expect the same is the case in the US (some of mine will happily display a 405-line picture, a couple of them exclusively so).

It's also obvious to me where the old PC monitor resolution originated .. 640x480@60Hz. The problem these days, though, having gotten used to LCD displays is that I find 60Hz screens objectionable as I can really see the flicker (it conflicts with our 50Hz lighting; we were accustomed to it but may be why I still don't really notice the strobing effect on 50Hz CRTs). :wink:
phd21 wrote:
what I meant was that people could convert original videos down to the maximum DVD format they want to use, NTSC (480p) or PAL (576p), which is usually much smaller (regular or widescreen) therefore providing more space for more videos.
This makes perfect sense, but isn't there still a theoretical limit on the number of titles? I'm sure there is with other media such as CDs, too.
phd21 wrote:
But, it cannot make really cool DVD menus and navigation buttons like the other DVD authoring apps can.
That is a bit of a surprise. Mind you, I used Nero during my time with Windows & have only ever used Kdenlive on Linux for authoring, so I've never seen these improved options. Maybe there are plugins for this; will investigate when I have a moment. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi BG405,

Fortunately, the DVD authoring applications and most video editors have options for NTSC (North Americas video) or PAL (European video) formats.

Honestly, I do not know the exact limits each DVD authoring application has for number of videos allowed to be added. I know people can get around those limits by combining (merging) videos into larger videos and make it easier to control in the various applications and reduce the number of tasks involved in creating a DVD.
phd21 wrote:
But, it cannot make really cool DVD menus and navigation buttons like the other DVD authoring apps can.
BG405 wrote:That is a bit of a surprise. Mind you, I used Nero during my time with Windows & have only ever used Kdenlive on Linux for authoring, so I've never seen these improved options. Maybe there are plugins for this; will investigate when I have a moment. :)
I know there is a Nero DVD application that works on Linux, but not for DVD authoring.

I have been using Kdenlive as a video editor for years now. When I first realized I could create my own DVD's from videos, I explored Kdenlive and all these other DVD authoring applications as well. In my link on previous posts regarding DVD authoring I have video tutorials and examples on using each of these applications. Bombono can have video or static image background menus with or without background music or video previews on their buttons for the underlying videos.

If you know how to customize Kdenlive's DVD authoring to have cool animated or video menus and animated or video preview DVD buttons for navigation, please explain the process to us and maybe provide your own video tutorial.

Kdenlive/Manual/File Menu/DVD Wizard - KDE UserBase Wiki
https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... DVD_Wizard

Last edited by phd21 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kato181 »

Thanx ppl for all your input.
As I stated earlier I wanted to create my home video straight out as Playmemories Home does that for me using windows.I will install kdenlive and try that to see if it will do what i want. I have found that only linux limits it to 99 files, whereas windoz doesn't have that restriction. I live in OZ so we only have PAL which is far better than ntsc.
Will let you know of my results using kdenlive.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi kato181,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

As far as I know, Kdenlive has no limit to the number of videos that can be added to a project including a DVD project.

I would recommend the Kdenlive AppImage for non-KDE desktop users although I always recommend installing Kdenlive from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" first with all of its recommended and suggested packages even if you are going to use their AppImage. The AppImage, or flatpak, or snap, packages are the only way that people using previous versions of Linux Mint like 18.x can get and use the newer Kdenlive versions.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

kato181 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:53 am
I have found that only linux limits it to 99 files, whereas windoz doesn't have that restriction. I live in OZ so we only have PAL which is far better than ntsc.
The DVD specifications are just that. It doesn't matter what OS is used. You are confusing issues. 99 Tittles may be the limit, but you can have more than one video clip per tittle. You can set one clip to link to another clip when it finishes. DvdStyler will let you do that.
mpv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mpv »

Perhaps QDVDAuthor can manage to add more than 125 mpg files.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

racer-x wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:09 am
DVD authoring specs limit movie tittles to 99, if I remember correctly. I don't think any Authoring app will help you here.

I never Author dvd's anymore, only for clients. Most TVs can play video files off a thumb drive anyway.
I agree, and I don't know of any free DVD authoring programs that aren't a bit rubbish. And why in hell would anyone want to write or keep one updated nowadays? Physical media like optical disks is dying.

Return to “Software & Applications”