Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

gimp question

Post by wpshooter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:14 pm

I want to make the gray / shaded circles/areas on this file green and I want to make the white / shaded circles/areas red but I do not want the other outside white areas of the file to change from their white color, how do I choose color change for the white circles but not the entire outside area of the file ?

Thanks.
Attachments
rifle_target.pdf
(82.49 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: gimp question

Post by Moem » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:25 pm

You can use the flood fill tool.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:57 pm

Moem wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:25 pm
You can use the flood fill tool.
"Bucket fill"? Icon looks like a paint bucket pouring to the left...?
gimp_target.jpg
Just select the tool, choose the FG color, and click the areas you want to fill.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:32 pm

Either I am not understanding your instructions or you are not understanding what it is that I am wanting to do.

On the attached I want the circle areas which are currently white to be red but I don't want any of the rest of the image to be red, I want the image outside of the target circles, etc. to remain the default white color and text colors to stay the same as the are.

Unless I am doing something wrong when I try to follow your fill instruction both the circles that I want red and everything else other than the green becomes red.

Thanks.
Attachments
green-but-no-red-rifle_target.png

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:49 pm

wpshooter wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:32 pm
On the attached I want the circle areas which are currently white to be red but I don't want any of the rest of the image to be red, I want the image outside of the target circles, etc. to remain the default white color and text colors to stay the same as the are.
Do the same thing you did to get the green, except choose red foreground and click the areas on the target that you want to be red.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Wed May 01, 2019 5:21 am

Make sure that in the tool options for bucket fill, it's set to 'fill whole selection', not 'fill similar colors'. Indicated by a red arrow below:

bucketfill.png
bucketfill.png (49.06 KiB) Viewed 163 times

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Wed May 01, 2019 8:00 am

Flemur wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:49 pm
wpshooter wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:32 pm
Do the same thing you did to get the green, except choose red foreground and click the areas on the target that you want to be red.
What I did to get the green areas was to do select by color and the click on the inside (grayish) circles that I want to be green and then go to colorify set color to green and say OK and that turned the inside circles to green, however when I try that same sequence for the outside circles that I want to be red, it makes everything else red but I only want the outer circles to be red not everything else. I have tried setting the bucket fill function as mentioned and that seems to get me nowhere in making only the outer circles red.

Also, I see no way to change the foreground nor the background colors !!!

Thanks.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Wed May 01, 2019 8:51 am

wpshooter wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:00 am
Click the color box.

The fill process worked for me, both red and green, with the settings I showed in the pic above.

It sounds like you might have more than one layer, e.g. the white area is the background layer, and the grey and black parts are either another layer or two other layers so when you click the white it fills everything white because that's all that's in the layer. The pdf image opened as one layer.
Try gimp->menu->image -> flatten image (or merge visible layers) and try the fill again.
(edit: had a typo in the above).

Edit2: gimp is usually a lot nicer to use if you do gimp -> windows -> single window mode.
Last edited by Flemur on Wed May 01, 2019 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder » Wed May 01, 2019 9:08 am

wpshooter wrote:
What I did to get the green areas was to do select by color and the click on the inside (grayish) circles that I want to be green and then go to colorify set color to green and say OK and that turned the inside circles to green, however when I try that same sequence for the outside circles that I want to be red, it makes everything else red but I only want the outer circles to be red not everything else. I have tried setting the bucket fill function as mentioned and that seems to get me nowhere in making only the outer circles red.
Here's what I did:

First I make a new layer that is a copy of the original,
Layer > Duplicate Layer

Then I remove the white from the copy,
Layer > Transparency > Color to Alpha

Make a new layer between the two,
Layer > New Layer > Fill with: Transparency

Make red circle on the transparent copy,
Tools > Selection Tools > Ellipse Select
Edit > Fill with FG Color
wpshooter wrote:
Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Colors
You will also want the Layer dock to enable moving and switching between layers.
I like separate windows so I can grow the size of the color and gradient docks.

Click to enlarge:

Return to “Software & Applications”