Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jackcq
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] ALL Add ons suddenly stopped working in Firefox 66.0.3

Post by jackcq » Fri May 03, 2019 10:03 pm

Hi,

does somebody have an idea what could be wrong that Firefox on Linux Mint suddenly started to refuse installing any addons?
It all started, when in the middle of a browser session all my addons got disabled by Firefox saying they're not signed (which is not true
the very same addons are running just fine on other browser profiles including this one). When I tried download them again from the
official Mozilla Addon site, I got an error "Download failed. Please check your connection." when I click on "+ Add to Firefox".
My connection's fine though. I figured it might be something broken in the firefox profile, so I just
deleted the profile in the Firefox Profile Manager and created a new one, but the problem persists, I still can't seem to install any
Addon from the official Mozilla addon site on any of my existing or new Firefox browser profiles. Considering there's no
information to be found on this on the web, I guess it's a problem specific to my particular installation of Firefox. I remember
it was updated only recently, I'm still using Linux Mint 18.2, Firefox version 66.0.3.
Last edited by karlchen on Thu May 09, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [SOLVED] because Firefox 66.0.5 or Firefox 60.6.3 are available to all supported Mint versions, as appropriate

MrEen
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Firefox Addons broken?

Post by MrEen » Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 pm

Just got the same here.

Seeing lots of links online saying the same.

Bonjovi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bonjovi » Fri May 03, 2019 10:13 pm

This has just happened to me too, exactly as you describe. Tried a complete removal and reinstall via synaptic and still can't download updates.

Bizarre - even if there is an issue with the firefox addon 'repos', I can't see why this should disable currently installed add ons.

jackcq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackcq » Fri May 03, 2019 10:22 pm

Bonjovi wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:13 pm

Bizarre - even if there is an issue with the firefox addon 'repos', I can't see why this should disable currently installed add ons.
AT least I'm not the only one having that problem. Also the removal seems rather random. I have several different
firefox profiles with different addons installed ... only on one of them all addons got completely thrown out, on
the other profiles the very same addons are still working (for now). Now, if this continues, it could get pretty ugly,
like removing my VPN proxy Addon in the middle of a browser session for example. Not to mention that everytime
this happens that profile is lost, as I can't reinstall the addons.

Bonjovi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bonjovi » Fri May 03, 2019 10:24 pm

What MrEen says, it looks like an expired certificate issue. Gonna be a lot of egg on someone's face.

Johannes
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox 66.03 extensions on 18.3 suddenly stopped working

Post by Johannes » Fri May 03, 2019 10:27 pm

I am running Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia KDE (with all the latest updates). My browser is Firefox 66.03 (64 bit), Mint - 1.0.

Everything worked fine the whole day today - until *suddenly* this evening ***all*** my Firefox add-on extensions stopped working - all 11 (eleven) of them!

The Add-ons Manager tab says:
"Legacy Extensions These extensions do not meet current Firefox standards so they have been deactivated."
And at each extension a red coloured warning appears - e.g.,
"Adblock Plus - free ad blocker could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled.",
and similar for other extensions.

The extensions I have are quite common ones: Adblock Plus, Flagfox, Forecastfox, ImTranslator, etc. I have not changed anything on my PC since yesterday at least (for several days probably).

Does anyone here know what is going on? Thank you!

jackcq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackcq » Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 pm

But Why is the very same addon still working in one firefox profile, while it's expired in another one? At least they're working on it, there's some addons I really need.

md419
Level 2
Level 2

Post by md419 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:39 pm

Glad to hear that it's an certificate error and not related to this ...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/mozilla-a ... ated-code/

Jlvs2run
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jlvs2run » Fri May 03, 2019 10:45 pm

Firefox has done the same to my computers and my friend's, and has been increasingly causing problems.
md419 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:39 pm
Glad to hear that it's an certificate error and not related to this ...
https://www.zdnet.com/article/mozilla-a ... ated-code/

"Mozilla announced plans today to ban Firefox extensions from its Add-ons portal if the extension contains obfuscated code.
The ban will enter into effect on June 10, at which point Mozilla plans to remove all Firefox extensions that don't meet this criteria
and shoot down any future extension submissions that fail to provide full access to their source code."
Meanwhile they've already turned them all off, and they can't be turned back on. :x
LM 18.3 xfce / lenovo T520 / 8gb ram / 240gb ssd
LM 18.3 xfce / biostar a870u3 / amd athlon II x2 250 / 8gb ram / nvidia gt218 geforce 210 /

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Fri May 03, 2019 10:59 pm

Don't panic. It is a Mozilla bug. Answer is:
The Add-ons team is working on a fix for this. It looks like a certificate used to sign many popular extensions expired. (The verification process checks that certificate.)
I don't know how soon re-signed versions of those extensions will become available, or whether another workaround will be discovered. We are all hoping to learn more soon.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1218032

UPD: Temporary solution for those who understand what they do.
about:config (of course, you accept the risk)
xpinstall.signatures.required set to false
And be carefull

After Mozilla fixed something, set xpinstall.signatures.required back to true.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

FarleyInglis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FarleyInglis » Fri May 03, 2019 11:35 pm

Strangely ...

The "Broken Addons in FireFox" DOES NOT appear to be happening in FireFox installed on "Windows 10 Pro" ... I have 4 of these systems running.

The "Broken Addons in FireFox" IS happening in FireFox on all of my "Linux Mint 19.1"s ... I have 3 of these systems running.

In My Opinion: Linux Mint 19.1 is the BEST Linux Mint that I have experienced. I am running two of the Linux Mints with SSD Drives; and the overall speed is awesomely fast the this OS doesn't overly log on the SSD. I.E. I'd rather run an SSD Drive on LM 19.1 rather than Win 10 Pro.

Hoping they get this Addon-Issue fixed ... really, really soon.

FarleyInglis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FarleyInglis » Fri May 03, 2019 11:53 pm

TEMPORARY FIX:

In FireFox, go to the Address: about:config

Search and Modify: xpinstall.signatures.required

Set xpinstall.signatures.required from true to false.

Close then Reopen FireFox and install you Addons.

NOTE: This is ONLY a TEMPORARY Get-Me-By Solution/Fix.

Gruppo Sportivo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Gruppo Sportivo » Sat May 04, 2019 1:00 am

A temporary workaround:
https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/almost- ... m/38968/65
Save the .xpi file somewhere handy
Save those xpi files for example in downloads and leave them there
Edit: This must be repeated with every restart of firefox,therefore this solution is not really ideal !!!
Last edited by Gruppo Sportivo on Sat May 04, 2019 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Sat May 04, 2019 1:14 am

FarleyInglis wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:35 pm
Strangely ...
The "Broken Addons in FireFox" DOES NOT appear to be happening in FireFox installed on "Windows 10 Pro" ... I have 4 of these systems running.
The "Broken Addons in FireFox" IS happening in FireFox on all of my "Linux Mint 19.1"s ... I have 3 of these systems running.
Happened in Android too. Total.
MX Linux 18.2 - the same
Windows 7 - the same
Debian 9.9 - the same
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] ALL Add ons suddenly stopped working in Firefox 66.3

Post by carum carvi » Sat May 04, 2019 3:15 am

Ublock Origin suddenly stopped working in Firefox 66.0.3

I have no other add ons installed on my Linuxmint 19. Fresh install.

Read the advice on reddit to click on a link in github.com
I clicked, nothing changed for the good. Got the message that the Ublock addon link on Github seeems to be "damaged"....?

Need advice desperatedly, because I cant live without Ublock Origin.
Last edited by carum carvi on Sat May 04, 2019 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ublock Origin suddenly stopped working in Firefox 66.3

Post by slipstick » Sat May 04, 2019 3:38 am

I'm using FireFox 66.0.3 and NoScript, Adblock Plus, and HTTPS Everywhere are suddenly disabled. Anyone know what's going on?
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Sat May 04, 2019 3:42 am

slipstick wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:38 am
I'm using FireFox and NoScript, Adblock Plus, and HTTPS Everywhere are suddenly disabled.
Wow. This problem is even bigger then I initially thought. I had read (months ago) about Chrome building in its own add blocker, effectively disabling Ublock Origin, but now I read that even Adblock and https Everywhere and even Noscript are effected. This must be something UNrelated to that new Chrome adblocker feature. This must be a serious Firefox bug! What's going on people?

smurphos
Level 11
Level 11

Post by smurphos » Sat May 04, 2019 3:43 am

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Sat May 04, 2019 3:47 am

Below is the link on reddit with a proposed TEMPORARY
solution. Havent tried it yet myself though. Just posting it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... _and_cant/

On this very forum I read similar advice with a workaround solution in which one has to change some settings (temporarily) in Firefox about:config. Thanks for the link Smurphos!

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=293497#p1629631

Return to “Software & Applications”