[SOLVED] How to set PlayOnLinux and Wine to use EssentialPIM into Linux Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
markinson
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to set PlayOnLinux and Wine to use EssentialPIM into Linux Mint?

Post by markinson » Sun May 05, 2019 5:27 am

Hi all! :)
First, sorry for my terrible English, I'll try to explain anyway my problem.

I'm just more than a new user of Linux Mint and, in general, a newbie of Linux, so, please be patience!

My O.S. is Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon.
I'd like (better: I would use) EssentialPIM for Windows in Linux environment.
I find out I could try to use Windows programs through Wine.
So I decided to install PlayOnLinux and, by this, (some releases of) Wine.
Unfortunately, despite if I tried more and more times, I was not able to install EssentialPIM into PlayOnLinux (“Error in POL_wine wine seems to have crashed”).

I also followed the informations on this page: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=5312

I tried with EssentialPIM 7.1 and Wine 1.9.15, both in emulated Windows 32 bit and Windows 64 bit: nothing.
I tried to use EssentialPIM portable: nothing, as above.

I would like to know if someone of you is now using EssentialPIM into Linux and, in this case, if I could receive some piece of advice.

Thank you so much for your attention!
Cheers!
Last edited by markinson on Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Facesti come quei che va di notte, che porta il lume dietro e sé non giova, ma dopo sé fa le persone dotte"
Dante (Purgatorio, Canto XXII)

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How to set PlayOnLinux and Wine to use EssentialPIM into Linux Mint?

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun May 05, 2019 9:12 am

This is the first time I've seen that app mentioned here, you may want to try the Wine forums.

However, you need to know that WIne is actually quite unreliable. Mpst apps fail. In that link from the WIne app database you posted, only one version worked (you want at least a Gold rating), and that result is out dated. ALso, it says that it won;t work in Manjaro unless you also run IE in WIne. That sounds like a step too far to me, using IE in any OS is stupid.

jchelpau
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jchelpau » Mon May 06, 2019 10:38 pm

EssentialPIM works fine for me using Wine 4.7 (Staging)

markinson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markinson » Thu May 09, 2019 5:01 pm

First of all, thank you for your replies and sorry for delay in answering, but all the days of the week I'm out for my work.

In "my" PlayOnLinux the latest version of Wine is 3.20 (both x86 and amd64), so I'm not able neither to use Wine 4.7 (development) nor to use Wine 4.0 (stable).

@jchelpau
Which kind of front-end do you use for your Wine 4.7?
Have I to uninstall PlayOnLinux, then install before Wine 4.x to view also this release into the PlayOnLinx "Manage Wine version" tab?

Else more: if I strictly follow the instructions via terminal here
https://wiki.winehq.org/Download
in particular these
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
I always obtain an issue like this:
"Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
winehq-stable : Depends: wine-stable (= 4.0~bionic)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
"

I can install without any problems only Winehq-stable (version 4.0 - bionic) but by "Linux Mint - Software Manager".

Probably I need a step-by-step help ... :(

Thank you so much in advance!
"Facesti come quei che va di notte, che porta il lume dietro e sé non giova, ma dopo sé fa le persone dotte"

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi markinson,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

1.)
phd21 - Why not try a Linux PIM? wrote: 8 Best Free Linux Personal Information Managers (Updated 2019) - LinuxLinks
https://www.linuxlinks.com/pim/

Top Open Source Tools for Staying on Time and on Task | Reviews | LinuxInsider
https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/85779.html

How to Install RedNotebook 2.5 in Ubuntu 18.04, 16.04 | UbuntuHandbook
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... -04-16-04/

TreePad on Linux: organizer, personal database, PIM.
http://www.treepad.com/linux/

2.) See this post for detailed instructions on installing Wine and or Wine Devel 4.7
Which variant of Wine for 19.1 XFCE? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=293808

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

jchelpau
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jchelpau » Thu May 09, 2019 8:47 pm

markinson wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:01 pm
@jchelpau
Which kind of front-end do you use for your Wine 4.7?
I'm using winetricks on the command line, but this shouldn't be important. It should run with regular Wine.
markinson wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:01 pm
Have I to uninstall PlayOnLinux, then install before Wine 4.x to view also this release into the PlayOnLinx "Manage Wine version" tab?

Else more: if I strictly follow the instructions via terminal here
https://wiki.winehq.org/Download
in particular these
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
I always obtain an issue like this:
"Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
winehq-stable : Depends: wine-stable (= 4.0~bionic)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
"

I can install without any problems only Winehq-stable (version 4.0 - bionic) but by "Linux Mint - Software Manager".

Probably I need a step-by-step help ... :(

Thank you so much in advance!
Uninstall winehq-stable and wine-stable if they're installed, then try reinstalling them.
The person above posted a link to a thread that gives more information on installing Wine.

I'll have a go at doing this with PlayOnLinux from Linux Mint's repositories.

Edit: Installing EssentialPIM 8.5 using PlayOnLinux with Wine 3.20 works fine on my machine.

markinson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markinson » Sun May 12, 2019 9:03 am

First of all, thank you very and so much for your precious pieces of advices! :D
I have tried to catch something here and there and now I finally have reached my goal. :idea:

I still have some problems (let me explain in this way) with shortcut and link, anyway EssentialPIM (portable) is now running in my Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon!

So, this is the way I followed:
  1. strictly looking at the error I received, as described above ("Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming."), I thought to change the mirror for "Base (bionic)" into "Update Manager > Sofware Sources > Official Repositories" and I found out a plenty of updates before unknown (from new kernel to new wine's version);
  2. I disabled all resident shield (I mean: my Sophos Antivirus for Linux on access resident scanner);
  3. completely uninstalled PlayOnLinux and, into "Software Manager", all packages founded out by "wine" key (I mean: Wine-development, Wine-stable, Wine-stable-amd64, Wine64, Wine64-development);
  4. rebooted my Linux Mint (this is a windows-based legacy! :mrgreen: );
  5. disabled all my possible resident shield (I mean: my Sophos on access resident scanner);
  6. slavishly followed ALL the instructions (Ubuntu-based) here explained >>> Installing WineHQ packages, confirming by Y(es) the downloading and installing of the package;
  7. don't install any front-end for Wine (like I've done before; I mean, for example: PlayOnLinux ... I discovered, as suggested to me, that's not necessary!);
  8. into the EssentialPIM portable folder I launched a terminal and I wrote (without inverted commas): "wine EssentialPIM.exe";
  9. EssentialPIM (portable) runs regularly!
Actually, trying to find out a solution, during an attempt, I installed PlayOnLinux and right away EssentialPIM (portable) as a "non-listed program". However in this case I've to download additional packages (as Wine Mono) to (try to) run EssentialPIM.

I've still some difficulties with shortcuts, but this is another question e this is because I'm a Linux-based-newbie!

At the end (for now ...), thank you all SO MUCH!
Cheers from Italy!

Return to “Software & Applications”