Skype or?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shadowriser

Skype or?

Post by Shadowriser »

Skype is my only phone. Skype has basically glued me to having one PC being windows because of how buggy Skype has been for me in Linux. The only time I had it half stable was in Ubuntu normal flavor 8.10. When I read about 9.04, I upgrades on my laptop which of course it broke Skype. But since I much prefer Linuxmint I am looking for either a fix for skype or another software that can be use either use Skype information to dial out. I would just dump Skype for sucking at linux support but I pre-paid for a land line number for a year for my home business.

I am using ALC886 Realtec onboard sound, not at home or I would post more details, I have also had skype problems with old realtek onboard sound. Any advise would be very welcome :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
saxoli

Re: Skype or?

Post by saxoli »

HY !!

There's a old project, filled up with new hope for beeing THAT multimessenger for Linux and Gnome

http://live.gnome.org/Empathy

It supports many free protokolls, with the possibility of video and audio chat !!!

It's in the LinuxMint - Repositories ready to install.

Many greetings,

Oliver
kei84

Post by kei84 »

In Synaptic you'll find 3 instances of skype: Skype, Skype-oss and Skype-oss-static.

Try using skype-oss or skype-oss-static. It works better.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

kei84 wrote:In Synaptic you'll find 3 instances of skype: Skype, Skype-oss and Skype-oss-static.

Try using skype-oss or skype-oss-static. It works better.
I agree. I have Skype working pretty much flawlessly on my system using OSS.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Hi - I have Skype OSS running on Mint 7 - my only problem is with sound ! - I can hear callers with no problem but I cannot get my Mic to function so that callers can hear me !!! - all works O.K. on Windows XP but I want to get away from that and become 100% Mint. Any suggestions.
Obviously I have a minor glitch in my sound / record settings somewhere.
kei84

Post by kei84 »

Bicky,

you can try installing skype-oss-static. That's the one I use. Make sure your mic isn't muted in your volume control.
Also try choosing diferent sound outputs in skype.
Shadowriser

Post by Shadowriser »

Tried OSS, fixed my sound so I can listen to voice mail but still will not pick me up talking. I can use this fine in crapdows and also can hear myself talk on the mic but skype is NOT picking it up.
fwc

Post by fwc »

Hey, I was having problems with Skype hanging up and dropping calls. This is slightly different but may help anyway. You can install the HDA Intel Sound and it may help fix the problem. The instructions are here but I posted a few key points from the ariticle:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto
Manually Specify Module Parameters
* First you must find which model of sound card you use, so run this command:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec

It will return model of your sound card(s), for example: "Codec: Realtek ALC260", so your sound card is ALC260.
* You should open a file in ALSA documentation. This file is here:

/usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.txt.gz

(If you compiled your own kernel or ALSA modules, the documentation for your version can probably be found in the source package you used)
* Search for your model, and take a look at its types, for example I found the following lines for ALC260:

hp HP machines
hp-3013 HP machines (3013-variant)
fujitsu Fujitsu S7020
acer Acer TravelMate
basic fixed pin assignment (old default model)
auto auto-config reading BIOS (default)

Read all of them and try to find the one which is more similar to your sound card, for example if you have a laptop, you can choose "acer".
* Open /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base with the following command:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Then paste the following line at the end of the file (change MODEL with the type of sound card's model, in our example it should be "acer" (without quotation marks)):

options snd-hda-intel model=MODEL

* Reboot
Suitable options for many popular laptop models can be found in this forum thread

Example

I'd like to add an example to clarify: my mic di not work under Ubuntu (whereas playback did and the mic itself worked under Vista). I actually found out that my Realtek audio codec was ALC269 by typing
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/info
(and/or by looking into Vista Control Panel (Sound)). Looking at the ALSA-Configuration.txt this corresponds to model basic, so I added
options snd-hda-intel model=basic
at the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and rebooted.
Shadowriser

Post by Shadowriser »

Ok fixed the problem were my Mic was not being capured. I unmuted the mic but did not have the capure checked in KDE RC1. But now skype is super low volume. I do the test call and they lady's voice or even someone I call is super hard to hear. It is like I have my sound set too low but had the volume so high the KDE start sound theme rocked my living room.

Thanks for the advice using the OSS-Static that seems to be way better. One last barrier to break so I can throw Windows XP 64 bit.
Shadowriser

Post by Shadowriser »

Found out if Amarok was open before Skype it would bug skypes volume level. Is there a way to have Skype and Amarok function at the same time more like windows? I thought there was a command to make the sound drivers play nice with multiple sounds running at the same time. I am a freak and alway Multi task when on my PC.

Return to “Software & Applications”