Before you post please read how to get help
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] Update has broken Wine

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:39 pm
Well, I was prompted to install an extra Wine package (the development thing) by the terminal output when I ran winecfg, so that's what I did and it worked. That's all I know, I'm not a guru.
Looks like you and your Danish friend have got several wine editions of different versions installed now then (looks like a mix of wine-stable 3, wine-stable 4 and wine-development 3.6). Lovely mess. ;) I guess as long as it works, although personally I'd timeshift back or wipe the whole thing and install only the version I want.

Summerof69
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Summerof69 »

gm10 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:37 pm
Moem wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:39 pm
Well, I was prompted to install an extra Wine package (the development thing) by the terminal output when I ran winecfg, so that's what I did and it worked. That's all I know, I'm not a guru.
Looks like you and your Danish friend have got several wine editions of different versions installed now then (looks like a mix of wine-stable 3, wine-stable 4 and wine-development 3.6). Lovely mess. ;)

If you'd like assistance with cleaning it up let me know, otherwise I guess as long as it works...
? What are you talking about? I don't have anything of wine version 4 installed :)
For millions of years mankind lived much like the animals
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination
We learned to talk
All we need to do is make sure we keep talking
Stephen Hawkin's voice on Keep Talking by Pink Floyd

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Summerof69 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:40 pm
? What are you talking about? I don't have anything of wine version 4 installed :)
You mean because you rolled back? I was referring to the apt dist-ugprade output you posted above, that had all those elements I listed, so I'm assuming that'll be the state for everyone who applied the upgrade.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi everyone,

The release notes were updated to describe how to install WINE and how to upgrade from version 3 to version 4.

Here's a summary of it.

1. Apply all updates to bring Wine to version 4

2. Install wine-installer to add the missing packages:

Code: Select all

apt install --install-recommends wine-installer
3. List the remaining v3 packages:

Code: Select all

dpkg -l | grep wine | grep "3\."
4. Remove these packages as they are no longer needed.

5. If PlayOnLinux was removed during step 1, reinstall it.

You should end up with WINE v4 with support for both 32bit and 64bit Windows binaries.

Note: I preferred not to automate steps 3 and 4 with package conflicts because the packaging for Wine 3 in Ubuntu 18.04 not only differs significantly with upstream WineHQ, it also differs significantly with previous and later Ubuntu releases. It's also not one version of Wine we need to take into account, but the fact that some users might also be running -development packages. I didn't want to add extra complexity and additional clauses on top of it.

Return to “Software & Applications”