When for FF 66.0.4?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Chraz Ritt
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 8:46 pm

When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by Chraz Ritt » Mon May 06, 2019 12:17 pm

FF 66.0.3 was automatically updated on my machine and it messed up my browser extensions. Please let us know if FF 66.0.4 is on the fast track for including on the update manager.

In my case I have Mint 18.3.

Edit: I don't know if I have this post in the right place, but it's my hope that if it's in the wrong place someone will move it.

User avatar
Flemur
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6935
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Potemkin Village

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by Flemur » Mon May 06, 2019 12:47 pm

Chraz Ritt wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:17 pm
FF 66.0.3 was automatically updated on my machine and it messed up my browser extensions. Please let us know if FF 66.0.4 is on the fast track for including on the update manager.
In my case I have Mint 18.3.
Edit: I don't know if I have this post in the right place, but it's my hope that if it's in the wrong place someone will move it.
My 66.0.3 is inviting me to update to 66.0.4 because I turn off that update checking even after setting about:config -> update URLs to "" (blank). But I also don't install it thru the repos.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

vvv511
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by vvv511 » Mon May 06, 2019 5:24 pm

We have to wait, I just hope that it doesn't take too long...

wylbur
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 9:45 pm

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by wylbur » Mon May 06, 2019 9:51 pm

This broke Firefox on May 3rd/4th. Firefox release full patch on May 5th. And ???

What browser are our admin's using on their systems?

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3418
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:06 am

63.0.4 works just fine, I just upgraded to it.

in the meantime, if you want to make 0.3 work, do this
FIX.png

Chraz Ritt
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by Chraz Ritt » Tue May 07, 2019 12:19 am

It seems that that fix only works for some. It failed for me unless it requires a full reboot.

Edit: I can't get that setting to stay on my machine.
Last edited by Chraz Ritt on Tue May 07, 2019 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pierre
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8691
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by Pierre » Tue May 07, 2019 12:21 am

wylbur wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:51 pm
This broke Firefox on May 3rd/4th. Firefox release full patch on May 5th. And ???

What browser are our admin's using on their systems?
that update will roll out in due course - it probably won't get any priority within the Mint Updater program.
- - this LM18x still has FF66.0.3 installed on it & both of my extensions, have been re-installed.
and thus they are working, again.
8)
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Chraz Ritt
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by Chraz Ritt » Tue May 07, 2019 12:50 am

this LM18x still has FF66.0.3 installed on it & both of my extensions, have been re-installed.
and thus they are working, again.
My machine must be a mess, I can't get the security setting fix to stay, and your fix was ineffective as well. I'm still without my addons and I'm not well versed in the command line so I'm afraid that trying a manual update from the tarball might break FF completely. Just for instance I don't feel sure of directory changes or moving files/folders and so I sit here with the new version in my downloads directory already extracted and am afraid to touch it for the next steps. Is there a GUI based method to do the update?

Edit: As I said at the start I have LM18.3 installed here.

User avatar
bob466
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 5:23 am
Location: Australia

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by bob466 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:45 am

What a piece of Crap Firefox 66.0.3 is...all but two of my add-ons are gone. Image I go to Extensions and what do I find...a message saying...

"Missing Something ? Some Extensions are no longer supported by Firefox"...yeah...nearly the whole bloody lot and I can't re-install them either. Image Firefox you can shove it Image Looks like I'll be using Google Chrome and Slimjet from now on. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

User avatar
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 4:14 am
Location: Rotterdam (NL)

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by Gruppo Sportivo » Tue May 07, 2019 3:26 am

bob466 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:45 am
What a piece of Crap Firefox 66.0.3 is...all but two of my add-ons are gone. Image I go to Extensions and what do I find...a message saying...
Stop complaining and inform yourself through the links below so that you know what has happened and what has been done so far.
Mozilla Add-ons Blog
ALL Add ons suddenly stopped working in Firefox 66.0.3
Image

Image

User avatar
bob466
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 5:23 am
Location: Australia

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by bob466 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:29 am

Gruppo Sportivo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:26 am
bob466 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:45 am
What a piece of Crap Firefox 66.0.3 is...all but two of my add-ons are gone. Image I go to Extensions and what do I find...a message saying...
Stop complaining and inform yourself through the links below so that you know what has happened and what has been done so far.
Mozilla Add-ons Blog
ALL Add ons suddenly stopped working in Firefox 66.0.3
I didn't ask for your advice or do I want it...but thanks for the link. If people don't complain nothing happens or changes...surely you understand that...then again maybe not. Image For your information I wasn't complaining as you put it...I was stating a fact...Firefox is Crap and has been for some time IMO. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

NoelTwo
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by NoelTwo » Tue May 07, 2019 6:42 am

Why isn't Firefox 66.0.4 showing up in my Mint Update Manager when Windows & even my Android delivered this version yesterday?

Even Tor Browser has came out with 8.0.8 to fix the Firefox certificate problem.

Is other Distro this slow in pushing out the updates? Still waiting and not happy.

Yes as a consolation, the use of Studies fixes the problem for 66.0.3

Noel

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5282
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue May 07, 2019 7:44 am

bob466 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:29 am
Gruppo Sportivo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:26 am
bob466 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:45 am
What a piece of Crap Firefox 66.0.3 is...all but two of my add-ons are gone. Image I go to Extensions and what do I find...a message saying...
Stop complaining and inform yourself through the links below so that you know what has happened and what has been done so far.
Mozilla Add-ons Blog
ALL Add ons suddenly stopped working in Firefox 66.0.3
I didn't ask for your advice or do I want it...but thanks for the link. If people don't complain nothing happens or changes...surely you understand that...then again maybe not. Image For your information I wasn't complaining as you put it...I was stating a fact...Firefox is Crap and has been for some time IMO. Image
If you think FF is such crap (I don't like it any more either) use something else. If you don't like Chrome I'd suggest Vivaldi.

User avatar
Linux-Bill
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by Linux-Bill » Tue May 07, 2019 9:43 am

I noticed there is no "easy" means to turn off Firefox updates. kind of sounds like Microsoft. Must be they have something really important they want loaded on our computers. Food for thought folks!!!

pbear
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by pbear » Tue May 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Of course you can turn off Firefox updates. It's just a really bad idea. If you don't like how Firefox does things, switch to another browser.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Tom739
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:40 am

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by Tom739 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:04 pm

@ NoelTwo

The new Tor update, which fixes the certificate issue and is meanwhile available, is 8.0.9 :wink: .

@ All

As Firefox is concerned, I decided to always install it manually directly from Mozilla https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/ rather than relying on the Mint updater. As a result, I had to wait for 2 days until 66.0.4 was available (which was yesterday).

In the meantime, I used Chromium, which can be installed per Synaptic, with the addons NoScript, AdblockerPlus, https Everywhere and Disconnect to check for the new Firefox update.

BTW: I am running Mint Mate 18.3.

Regards
Tom

Retic1959
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 5:52 pm
Location: New Orleans LA.

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by Retic1959 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:27 pm

Mint is dropping the ball a bit with this one . I've had 66.04 since sunday on my Manjaro install , think I'll go manual on my Mint install .

User avatar
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3166
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by michael louwe » Tue May 07, 2019 3:11 pm

This "accidental" expiry of the add-on/web-extension signed certificate looks like a sneaky plan by Mozilla Corp to recruit more Firefox users for her Studies and to push FF 56 and 52 ESR users who have been sticking to Legacy add-ons, onto FF 66.0.4 and 60.6.2 ESR.

If so, Mozilla is copying M$'s playbook, ie M$ has been using Windows Update to degrade Win 7/8.1, in order to push the users onto Win 10, which has forced Telemetry & Data collection and forced auto-updates/upgrades that will benefit M$ alot.

Personally, I use Firefox because it is less evil than Chrome and Edge/IE, not because it is good or not evil.
.

P S - There is a fix for this add-on problem for FF 56 (and 52 ESR.?) ,,,
https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-n ... signed.xpi
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... h=7bb57801

P P S - This reminds me of the requirement for non-Windows bootloaders to be signed/certificated in modern UEFI computers with M$'s Secure Boot feature.

User avatar
Linux-Bill
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by Linux-Bill » Tue May 07, 2019 4:30 pm

Any estimate in 66.0.4 getting into the repository?

Fortunately, I dual boot and can use Windows 10 when needed. It is already updated and the game playing has ended.

So far as alternative browsers - Firefox was the least evil in the past and easiest to navigate. It was secure and trustworthy - not so trustworthy after this. In 66.0.3 I see no place to turn updates off. Only a statement telling the user to keep Firefox updated. You can turn off the search engine updates - nothing else. Smells like Microsoft wanting to send payloads!

Linux is very secure by design, maybe this is a workaround - for whatever reason.

pbear
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: When for FF 66.0.4?

Post by pbear » Tue May 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Speculation and suspicion without evidence have a truth value of zero.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”