Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TJMcK
Level 1
Level 1

caution on upgrading to Wine 4.0 bionic

Post by TJMcK »

Don't know it's just me and my Linux Mint system... but today, as part of my automatic update, Linux Mint wanted to upgrade a few apps one of which was Wine Bionic 4.0 (current version wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)). I usually never think twice about the suggested upgrades that LM gives me, so I upgraded it. Later I went to open a Windows software that I use regularly and found that it wouldn't open. In fact, all other Windows programs that I have would not start. Instead of spending time trying to fix the problem (don't have the time), I tried TimeShift for the first time -- and within 15 min I was up and running again with my Windows programs working again. THANK YOU TIMESHIFT!!!

I updated all the other suggested apps (just not Wine) and my system is running perfectly. Don't know if anyone else has had this same issue (hopefully not). But, if anyone knows what the issue may have been and wants to post the fix, I might try updating wine again in the future (but until then I'm going to avoid Wine updates).

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: caution on upgrading to Wine 4.0 bionic

Post by gm10 »

I was going to say nonsense, there is no wine 4.0 in the bionic repos (and in fact there isn't), but as it turns out Clem put his spin of the winehq 4.0 packages into the LM 19.0 and LM 19.1 repos today. I could have understood that as part of a point release maybe but just silently pushing a full major feature release upgrade into the existing releases is a bit harsh...

I guess the days of Linux Mint as a stable distribution are over. Might as well go rolling release if you play it like that.

You can blacklist the update in Update Manager if it's causing you trouble.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

gm10 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:27 pm
I guess the days of Linux Mint as a stable distribution are over.
FWIW, "wine-stable" is wine 4.0 bionic. "testing" and "staging" are 4.7

I think there's some glitch in the install process, wine 4.0 itself does really seem "stable".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Flemur wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:41 pm
FWIW, "wine-stable" is wine 4.0 bionic. "testing" and "staging" are 4.7
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at but Clem only added the wine-stable/winehq-stable variant to the linuxmint repos: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tessa. If you've got one of the variants from winehq installed directly then this change wouldn't affect you.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

When Wine 4.0 came out not long ago I installed it from WineHQ and got the same problem...one of my Windoze apps wouldn't open. Image

So I Re-installed Wine 3.0 and the app opened and works just fine. Image Wine 4.0 on another Distro I had on my spare HDD did the same thing with the same app...so it's Wine. Image When I saw Wine 4.0 in updates today...it was blocked immediately. :shock:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

TJMcK wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:07 pm
Later I went to open a Windows software that I use regularly and found that it wouldn't open. In fact, all other Windows programs that I have would not start.
That's exactly what happened to me! In an effort to fix it I uninstalled Wine and then tried to install the latest stable release from WineHQ but so far I've been unable to install it. See my original thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=293337

I'm still Wine-less at the moment, maybe I'll try to install the old version 3?
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Terryphi »

I had the same experience. It seems that the update has changed the directory structure apparently resulting in broken symlinks. See viewtopic.php?f=47&t=293660
Version: LM 19.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

I'm not big on Wine usage and never had a problem with it when I used it (currently using Steam's Proton spin on it only), but did you guys try to run winecfg after the update to update your prefix?

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

gm10 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:36 am
I'm not big on Wine usage and never had a problem with it when I used it (currently using Steam's Proton spin on it only), but did you guys try to run winecfg after the update to update your prefix?
Well I can't even get Wine installed, I get errors about held broken packages, so I haven't got as far as running winecfg

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

murray wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:59 am
Well I can't even get Wine installed, I get errors about held broken packages, so I haven't got as far as running winecfg
Ah lol, I didn't realize Clem messed up the packaging that badly. From the OP it sounded like it does install but then things break.

xGuy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xGuy »

Many thanks for this warning. I have quite a few apps running under Wine - both direct and in individual PlayOnLinux prefixes. When I moved from Mint 17.3 to Mint 19 (via a clean OS install and app migration) I had all sorts of issues with them but eventually got everything to work as previously.

When I saw Wine 4.0 in the Update Manager I wondered whether to give it a try (after taking a full System Backup of course!) in the interests of keeping up to date but seeing your post convinced me to follow the "If it ain't broke ..." maxim. So I have blacklisted the Wine product in Update Manager.

Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Terryphi »

Following advice from Clem I have now successfully updated wine. See end of this thread for details
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=293660#p1631043
Version: LM 19.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:07 am
Ah lol, I didn't realize Clem messed up the packaging that badly. From the OP it sounded like it does install but then things break.
FYI the Wine upgrade installed fine for me. After doing it, I reinstalled PlayOnLinux which had been removed, then ran winecfg, installed the Wine package that was suggested, and then it all worked. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:54 pm
gm10 wrote:
FYI the Wine upgrade installed fine for me. After doing it, I reinstalled PlayOnLinux which had been removed, then ran winecfg, installed the Wine package that was suggested, and then it all worked. 8)
Cheers, but I'm not bothered, I don't have standalone Wine installed, anyway. I got Steam installed with Steam Play (Proton) enabled so I just use that instead for the two Windows programs I'm otherwise using. No reason to have multiple Wine installations on the system.

I still think it's a bad idea to just push such an upgrade into an LTS distribution though.

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

gm10 wrote:
murray wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:59 am
I'm guessing that I need to figure out my "held broken packages" problem before I can try reinstalling Wine. Unfortunately I don't know enough about apt or dpkg to fix this. I think I might have a messed up configuration file somewhere. dpkg says I don't have any held packages but then apt says I do and refuses to install until I sort it out! :shock:

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

What apt means is that you have a dependency conflict, its resolver cannot find a scenario that would allow it to install the dependencies required by the software you are trying to install without breaking other installed software. Usually happens when you installed software from other repositories or PPAs.

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

gm10 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:51 pm
What apt means is that you have a dependency conflict, its resolver cannot find a scenario that would allow it to install the dependencies required by the software you are trying to install without breaking other installed software. Usually happens when you installed software from other repositories or PPAs.
I did indeed originally install Wine via the WineHQ PPA, and I might have another one or two PPAs set up (I'm not at home right now so can't check).

So how would I go about trying to extracate myself from this situation? Are there any general instructions for handling held broken packages?

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

I managed to get Wine installed! Yippee! :D

Not sure what happened, I basically just did what I've been doing all along, maybe something has changed in a repository somewhere. :?:

pizzadude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pizzadude »

gm10 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:27 pm
I was going to say nonsense, there is no wine 4.0 in the bionic repos (and in fact there isn't), but as it turns out Clem put his spin of the winehq 4.0 packages into the LM 19.0 and LM 19.1 repos today. I could have understood that as part of a point release maybe but just silently pushing a full major feature release upgrade into the existing releases is a bit harsh...

I guess the days of Linux Mint as a stable distribution are over. Might as well go rolling release if you play it like that.

You can blacklist the update in Update Manager if it's causing you trouble.
But Wine 4.0 is stable. :|

Also, I'm pretty sure it isn't him packaging it, he just copied the WineHQ builds to the Linux Mint repo. Of course there's going to be conflicts when you upgrade from the ancient Ubuntu wine builds to the winehq builds.
Visit my blog LinuxSurge if you like websites that haven't been updated in over 2 years

Return to “Software & Applications”