[Solved] Has anyone had luck running orca with LM 19.X XFCE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Green man
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Has anyone had luck running orca with LM 19.X XFCE?

Post by Green man » Tue May 07, 2019 9:21 pm

Hello, I've been experimenting with Linux for a while now, and really love Linux Mint with the XFCE desktop. On my Linux Mint XFCE 18.3 (currently installed alongside Windows 7) orca runs very nicely. However, when I test Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE in virtualbox, orca refuses to stay running for more than 30 seconds. Is this a virtualbox issue, or some sort of regression/bug with the newer code base? I'm curious because it will determine what version I install when I am finally ready to turn this machine into a dedicated Linux box. Thanks.
Last edited by Green man on Thu May 30, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Has anyone had luck running orca with LM 19.X XFCE?

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed May 08, 2019 5:01 am

Which Wine version are you running? You can try running ver 4 on both and test.
https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-in ... x-mint-19/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu May 09, 2019 3:38 am

Which orca are you talking about? I'm not familiar with it, and I found several pieces of software named orca in a web search. Do you mean the screen reader?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

jchelpau
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jchelpau » Thu May 09, 2019 3:48 am

There's an Orca bug in Linux Mint 19 onwards that shuts it off after 30 seconds. I would recommend MATE or GNOME for better accessibility too.

Green man
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Green man » Thu May 09, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the confusion, it's the orca screen reader that ships with the distribution. So thankfully there is no wine involved.
jchelpau wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:48 am
There's an Orca bug in Linux Mint 19 onwards that shuts it off after 30 seconds. I would recommend MATE or GNOME for better accessibility too.
Thanks for the clarification and tip about desktop environment. In the orca documentation, it says it's supposed to work with any implementation of the Gnome, Mate, or XFCE desktop. In reality, it seems to be a lot more particular about the distro and desktop combination. For instance, I've never gotten it to work at all on Linux Mint Mate. Ubuntu Mate 18.04 is probably my second favorite distribution, but when I tested it in virtual box it seems to have inherited the same issue as Linux Mint 19. Could someone kindly point me to where the bug is documented, so that I can see if/when it's resolved?

jchelpau
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jchelpau » Thu May 09, 2019 4:57 pm

I don't believe there is a bug report for this issue.

Green man
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Green man » Thu May 30, 2019 11:06 pm

As of this afternoon, the issue seems to be resolved. I'm not sure who to thank. But it's cool that I can install the latest version once I'm finally ready to ditch Windows 7.

Return to “Software & Applications”