Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

RESOLVED -What are the mulitple *** in timeshift exclude patterns

Post by benchrest » Wed May 29, 2019 4:18 pm

While Timeshift is recommended for system only data I would like to backup my Home directory without the documents folders. I will use Luckybackup for them. But the home folder has a lots of system information such as configuration files. Much of the documentation I find on using Timeshift kind of glosses over the details.
I have in timeshift users tab
User Home Include All
root+ /root X
userid /home/userid X

in the filters tab
+ /root/**
+ /home/userid/**
- /home/userid/Documents/***

summary shows /home/userid/Documents/***
as being excluded. Yet when I run Timeshift I get my Documents folder backed up and it fills up my backup disk. Plus takes forever. Know of a solution or some real detailed documentation? Thanks
Last edited by benchrest on Wed May 29, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS TUF B450M, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb memory, Samsung SSD 970 EVO-Plus, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 27" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison.

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What are the mulitple *** in timeshift exclude patterns

Post by slipstick » Wed May 29, 2019 4:55 pm

For an explanation of the ***, open a terminal and type in "man rsync", then scroll down (way way down) to the section labeled "Filter Rules".

Configuration files in your home are hidden files with names starting with a . (dot). I back up my system and the hidden files in my home with TimeShift, and use Back-In-Time to back up my data and the other files in my home (actually I back up everything in home, so I really have a double backup of my config. files). There is some debate about whether it is advisable to use TS to back up config. files - the problem being that if you make a change to the configuration after your last TS snapshot and then have a problem where you need to restore with TS, you will lose those changes. My opinion is, if you make a config. change, just make a On-demand TS snapshot immediately, so you won't lose your changes. If I have to restore with TS, I want my config. restored too, so my apps will come up already configured the way I want them.

In the Users tab, I have Root - Include All (never been sure whether this is really needed) and Home - include Hidden. In Filters I have + /root/** and + /home/userid/.** (note the . before the **).
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

RESOLVED - Re: What are the mulitple *** in timeshift exclude patterns

Post by benchrest » Wed May 29, 2019 6:24 pm

Thankyou. Removed my - /home/userid/Documents/*** in the exclude tab and changed the userid /home/userid from include all to include hidden and I get what I wanted. The system and my configuration files that I backup daily. With Luckybackup I backup my documents daily.
Rich
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS TUF B450M, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb memory, Samsung SSD 970 EVO-Plus, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 27" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison.

Return to “Software & Applications”