Firefox - downloading Youtube videos... (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Firefox - downloading Youtube videos... (SOLVED)

Post by tenfoot »

Using Firefox v67.0 on LM v19.1 Tessa Mate.

Until quite recently I have never had trouble downloading Youtube videos. Usually it is just a matter of clicking on the download button and selecting where to save the video. Two icons appear in the destination folder and when the download is completed we are left with one .mp4 file.

I don't know whether is is as a result of the upgrade to Firefox but now, when I choose a destination folder in which to save the video, only one icon appears in the destination folder and that bears the extension of .mp4 but nothing is ever downloaded.

An examination of the file Properties reveals that is is classed as a plain text document (textplain) of 0 bytes but when I try to attach a copy to this posting a message is shown that it is too big! and the Open with tab shows mpv Media Player.

Is anyone else having similar problems? If so, is their a solution, please? Perhaps I am inadvertently doing something stupid. If so, I would be delighted to learn what is is, please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Firefox - downloading Youtube videos...

Post by Moem »

Topic re-opened after discussion with an admin. Carry on...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

tenfoot wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:23 amUsually it is just a matter of clicking on the download button and selecting where to save the video.
That means you're using an addon/(plugin); update it! Youtube changes their storage methods and addons need to change also. If updating it doesn't work, and you need to briefly download a youtube video strickly for educational purposes, the command line "youtube-dl" program works well; it also has a optional GUI. Don't install it from the repos, install it from the website and update it as they say if/when it messes up.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Firefox has plenty of youtube video downloaders as does Opera...just try another one...of cause Google Chrome doesn't for obvious reasons. Image

p.s. If you're using Firefox...you can't see my Smileys I use from another source Image one of the reasons I don't use Firefox. Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Thank you moem for reopening the subject and flemur for suggesting youtube-dl. Downloaded it and find that it solves the problem.

One very happy geriatric :D
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

Return to “Software & Applications”