Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox settings transfer [SOLVED]

Post by Glockdoc »

Howdy,

I change a TON of firefox settings in the about:config section to increase privacy and security. The problem is I have to do this on every computer, then every new computer, then every new os, etc, etc.

If I take the default profile from my workhorse machine and replace the contents of the default profile on new firefox will this move all my custom settings or just the surface stuff you can do without about:config???

I do not use the firefox sync feature for obvious reasons, so that is out. Just wondering if this shortcut would work based on your experience.

Not much clear info on the mozilla site.

Thanks in advacne, JC
Last edited by Glockdoc on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Firefox settings

Post by Flemur »

Glockdoc wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:53 am
If I take the default profile from my workhorse machine and replace the contents of the default profile on new firefox will this move all my custom settings or just the surface stuff you can do without about:config???
AFAIK, all your firefox settings are in the profile, so it should get them all (at least if it's all linux, I dunno if the windows directory structure is the same). Pretty easy to test it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
vvv511
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vvv511 »

I believe that just copying the file "prefs.js" to your new profile should be enough, but you can copy the entire profile folder just to be sure.
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Glockdoc »

Thank you much! Will post solved after I have done it.
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Firefox settings <SOLVED>

Post by Glockdoc »

Ok, I installed MX and copied pref.js....that did not work.

What has come closest to working was copyiing the entire profile folder into the new profile and deleting compatability.ini. Without deleting that 1 file I got an error and had to either quit or create a new profile for ff to start. After I deleted that file everything mostly works........

I still have to go back in and manually change some settings sometime today. Little stuff, but all my extensions transferred in, and most of the about:config stuff seems to be working.

Just no easy way to move everything to a different version on a different machine.
Crippled

Re: Firefox settings <SOLVED>

Post by Crippled »

Glockdoc wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:56 pm
I tried doing it but it wouldn't let me transfer everything and that's even opening Thunar as root. I have done it manually in about:config using these settings. https://restoreprivacy.com/firefox-privacy/
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Glockdoc »

Here are 2 more in depth guides. I use a mix of articles for my about:config settings. Wish I could just move them all and have it work!!

https://gist.github.com/0XDE57/fbd302cef7693e62c769

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/b ... ing-guide/
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

Glockdoc wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:21 am
Here are 2 more in depth guides. I use a mix of articles for my about:config settings. Wish I could just move them all and have it work!!

https://gist.github.com/0XDE57/fbd302cef7693e62c769

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/b ... ing-guide/
Thanks. It's disgusting how many times I see google in about:config in Firefox. Google should stay out of my business! :evil:
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Glockdoc »

I found a solution that seems to be working.

1st off I noticed in the prefs.js file(after I opened it) the very top says any changes to this file while firefox is open will be overwritten when ff closes, or something like that. I thought that may have been my problem, I was changing the file w ff open....nope, not the problem.

While importing the file w ff closed DID get all my about:config changes imported, my extensions were not working and had no icons.

ON TO THE SOLUTION.....

I opened the profile folder of the ff I have tweaked to my liking, selected all files, made a zip file, uploaded to nextcloud, went to the next machine, closed ff, downloaded the file from nextcloud, extracted to the ff profile folder on the new machine, selected "overwrite all", and waaala.....everything is perfect.

Pretty cumbersome, but now I can do a pretty close to 1 click set up on any ff I want to use.

Hope this helps someone!!
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Firefox settings transfer [SOLVED]

Post by gittiest personITW »

Nice one for posting the solution.
That is really handy

Return to “Software & Applications”