Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
oldwierdal
Level 3
Level 3

Thunderbird misbehaving badly.

Post by oldwierdal »

I'm using Thunderbird 60.7.0. on Linux Mint 18.3, "Sylvia 64 bit," Kernel 4.15.0-generic X86_64 and MATE 1.18.0
Ever since the fairly recent upgrade to Thunderbird, wherein a few new folders were added, e.g.Gmail, drafts, Sent Mail, All Mail, Junk, etc., I've noticed that the 'All Mail' folder will download EVERYTHING from Gmail; sometimes as many as 1,850! I, personally, see no need for the 'All Mail' folder, nor the additional 'Junk' or 'Sent Mail.' Some of the "new" folders have never had anything in them; no email, no system messages, and so on. If I try to delete any of the "new" folders, sub-folders of the "new" Gmail folder, there is no option for deleting. If I try to delete the "new" 'Gmail' folder, I get an angry response to the effect, "Failure! The command did not succeed. Server for 'user-me' responded, folder (Gmail>drafts>Sent Mail>All Mail) cannot be deleted."
So, here is my first question: Is there any way I can either prevent or limit the amount of mail that Google/Gmail can dump into the 'All Mail' folder?

Also, occasionally, my inbox is completely empty. Having been expecting an email, I will contact the sender, and the sender confirms that it was sent, but they will send me another. After waiting 30 minutes or so, it still hasn't arrived. Again, I call the sender, apologize for being a nuisance, and ask if they will send it one more time. Again, after a longish wait, it still has not arrived. So, I do the standard MS Windows fix for all problems, great and small; I reboot my machine. And, to my surprise, emails which I had received over the past several days and had either responded to or deleted, and the missing email in question arrived again in my 'Inbox.'
So, my second question is: Is this a problem with my machine or is it a problem with my Gmail account?

Thank you in advance for any help you might give with this.

owa
Linux vobiscum! Et cum source-code, tuo!

LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Thunderbird misbehaving badly.

Post by LogMan »

Have you tried Preferences/Account Settings/Synchronization & Storage/Message Synchronizing/Advanced to set what folders you want to be kept on your computer ?

Second question I don't have an answer, sorry

oldwierdal
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Thunderbird misbehaving badly.

Post by oldwierdal »

Thank you for your response, LogMan. Yes, that was the first place I looked, and returned to a few times again, to no avail. I uninstalled Thunderbird, including system files and everything. Then I re-installed Thunderbird and I'm still having the same goofy problems.
I've been using Thunderbird almost as long as I've been using Linux. However, these pesky problems have driven me to the point of trying out another of the several email handling programs. Loyalty must be reciprocal. If not, there is no gain.
Again, thank you for your response.

owa
Linux vobiscum! Et cum source-code, tuo!

Return to “Software & Applications”