This PPA does not support xenial

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

This PPA does not support xenial

Post by tonilib »

I am trying to install the super boot manager with this line:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ingalex/super-boot-manage

and I get this message: "This PPA does not support xenial". This PPA coud not be added. "This PPA does not support xenial"

Do you know what this is happening and how to fix it?
How can I install super-boot-manager?

-thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: This PPA does not support xenial

Post by kc1di »

Which version of Mint are you using? xenial is Ubuntu's 16.04 LTS version.
That ppa has not been updated since 2012 and is no longer supported as far as I can tell.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Check out Super Grub2 Disk, Rescatux (which also contains Super Grub2 Disk), and Plop Boot Manager.
You should be able to boot most anything with these
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonilib »

kc1di wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:58 pm Which version of Mint are you using? xenial is Ubuntu's 16.04 LTS version.
That ppa has not been updated since 2012 and is no longer supported as far as I can tell.
Linux mint 18.1 what do i do to get rid of xenial and get a ppa which is updated. I installed Linux mint 2 years ago with the latest
tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonilib »

kc1di wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:58 pm Which version of Mint are you using? xenial is Ubuntu's 16.04 LTS version.
It would be great to use this programs. How do i install them I cant find them in the Software Manager of Linux mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

tonilib wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:55 pm Linux mint 18.1 what do i do to get rid of xenial and get a ppa which is updated. I installed Linux mint 2 years ago with the latest
Xenial is the underlying Ubuntu version upon which your Mint version was built; you can only get rid of that by installing a newer version of Mint. But if there is no up to date PPA available for your program, and it sounds like that's the case, it will not help you.

If the software is too old, and not available for a current version of Mint, you will not be able to run it on Mint. That's that.

What exactly is your end goal here? Maybe it can be reached in a different way.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi tonilib,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It seems to me that this "super boot manager" application has not been updated in many years, so I would not even try to install it in newer Linux Mint systems.

As has been asked, what do you want to do, customize your Grub bootloader, install Burg bootloader, etc...?

5 best Grub2 bootloader themes to use on Linux
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... -on-linux/

BURG Boot loader installation, themeing & more gets even easier with BURG Manager app
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/bur ... anager-app

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonilib »

Moem wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:49 pm
tonilib wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:55 pm Linux mint 18.1 what do i do to get rid of xenial and get a ppa which is updated. I installed Linux mint 2 years ago with the latest
Xenial is the underlying Ubuntu version upon which your Mint version was built; you can only get rid of that by installing a newer version of Mint. But if there is no up to date PPA available for your program, and it sounds like that's the case, it will not help you.

If the software is too old, and not available for a current version of Mint, you will not be able to run it on Mint. That's that.

What exactly is your end goal here? Maybe it can be reached in a different way.
I want to fix the grub. I want to use those programs suggested but I cant find the way to install them
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

tonilib wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:01 pm I want to fix the grub.
Fair enough. If you can explain what's wrong with your GRUB, someone can probably help you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Moem wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:56 pm
tonilib wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:01 pm I want to fix the grub.
Fair enough. If you can explain what's wrong with your GRUB, someone can probably help you.
Agree 100%. Those sorts of utilities are usually for configuration, not fixing underlying system problems.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”