Level 3

Issues trying to encrypt a disk

Post by linuxheid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:52 am

Hi folks,

I am trying to encrypt my secondary laptop:

* Model: Gateway ZA8
* Linux Mint 19.1 xfce
* Sticker on the laptop says AMD Athlon 64

This is with the intention that the entire linux drive is encrypted prompted me to enter a password at bootup to get past the encryption. I tried using Veracrypt. I generally followed the defaults presented to me when running Veracrypt. I did though choose the option for files bigger than 4 GB and also the option for linux and non-linux partitions. Both times I tried this I had to reinstall Linux afterwards (no issues re data loss, I just play around on this laptop and its no issue if I break it). The Veracrypt formatting stage completes at which point there are no desktop icons displayed nor is there a toolbar or linux launcher button at the bottom. I hard restart the PC and get an error message saying the drive volume is no longer there with a long string of alphanumeric characters. I get a command prompt saying 'Rescue grub'. In hindsight I wish I had taken a pic of these messages and could go through the entire process again taking pics if needed to post here.

Based on the pretty sketchy diagnostic info I posted here is it possible someone can please advise me how to overcome this issue? Should I change from Veracrypt to another encryption tool? At some point I'd like to encrypt my main laptop that has options to boot into Linux mint Cinnamon and Windows. Ideally I'd like to use the same encryption tool on both PCs but I understand the world isn't perfect; if I have to use different encryption tools on each device, then so be it.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Issues trying to encrypt a disk

Post by linuxheid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:54 am

These are screenshots of options selected up to the point of clicking 'Format'.
Vercrypt01.png
Vercrypt02.png
Vercrypt03.png

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:55 am

Vercrypt04.png
Vercrypt05.png
Vercrypt06.png

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:57 am

Vercrypt07.png
Vercrypt07.png (11.27 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Vercrypt08.png
Vercrypt09.png

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:58 am

Vercrypt12.png
Vercrypt11.png
Vercrypt10.png

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:21 am

Vercrypt13.png
Vercrypt14.png
So for better or worse (more likely worse), the above are the steps I took. As mentioned, if anyone can show me the light on how to encrypt the drive successfully, its hugely appreciated.

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:31 am

My apols, one more screenshot. It has a pretty clear warning on it
Vercrypt15.png
Vercrypt15.png (18.72 KiB) Viewed 199 times

Lanser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lanser » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:14 pm

Hello Linuxheld. Just my 10c worth but I would suggest that Veracrypt is not the tool you are looking for.
It is very good for encrypting whole disks or partitons or files that need to be mounted after you have booted into your OS.
It is not very suitable for whole drives that contain boot partitons and operating systems.

I suggest you look at the possible HDD securty options that may already be incuded on your Laptop in the BIOS.
Drive passwords are a common feature on business grade laptops.

I think you should also consider using the native built in encryption options that you would have been offered during the install process.
I would also recomend that you think about where your important data is stored and maybe create a seperate dedicated data partition with it's own security policy.

BTW. I have used Veracrypt for years for my external data backup hard disk drives. It is a very effective and stable tool.

Lanser
Thinkpads:- LM19.x Mate, LMDE3, Debian 10

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Lanser wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:14 pm
Hello Linuxheld. Just my 10c worth but I would suggest that Veracrypt is not the tool you are looking for.
It is very good for encrypting whole disks or partitons or files that need to be mounted after you have booted into your OS.
It is not very suitable for whole drives that contain boot partitons and operating systems.

I suggest you look at the possible HDD securty options that may already be incuded on your Laptop in the BIOS.
Drive passwords are a common feature on business grade laptops.

I think you should also consider using the native built in encryption options that you would have been offered during the install process.
I would also recomend that you think about where your important data is stored and maybe create a seperate dedicated data partition with it's own security policy.

BTW. I have used Veracrypt for years for my external data backup hard disk drives. It is a very effective and stable tool.

Lanser
Hi Lanser,

Thank you for your constructive reply. I read sense in your comments. At the moment I am considering abandoning the Veracrypt idea for this laptop and considering a strategy mentioned on another thread that is similar to what you advocate:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=297532

I will reply on that other thread. I welcome your further comment on that thread should you have any.

Thanks again for your reply.

Return to “Software & Applications”