Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
swirlinglotus
Level 1
Level 1

Google Chrome Download

Post by swirlinglotus »

Hello all.

I'm trying to download Google Chrome on a 32-bit laptop. First, I tried to download it directly from the website. After it downloaded, I was directed to use dpkg --add-architecture amd64. I tried a couple of different things to add amd64 and none of them worked.

Then I found a website that showed some different steps to download Google Chrome, so I deleted the already downloaded Chrome from my computer and followed the steps on the website. It still didn't work and I don't know what to do now.

This is the website I used: https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/l ... -tara.html
I tried installing the stable version. All the steps before that went fine, but here's what happened when I tried installing it:

sudo apt install -y google-chrome-stable

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
google-chrome-stable:amd64 : Depends: libappindicator3-1:amd64 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any help is appreciated! Also, I'm not fluent in computers, so if you could ELI5, that would be great. Thanks.

sleeper12
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Google Chrome Download

Post by sleeper12 »

You can't get Chrome 64 bit on a 32 bit machine. Google Chrome ended 32 bit support anyway. You might try Chromium, Slimjet, Vivaldi, etc. instead:

https://itsfoss.com/google-ending-chrome-32-bit/

Return to “Software & Applications”