Calendar Cinnamon - How to configure

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
desangel
Level 1
Level 1

Calendar Cinnamon - How to configure

Post by desangel »

Hi everyone,
is there any chanche to get the the cinnammon calendar applet giving the informations of a gmail calendar?
Do you know any applet with this function?
Attachments
Schermata del 2019-07-26 19-23-24.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Calendar Cinnamon - How to configure

Post by smurphos »

There's a Google Calendar desklet....

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/desklets/view/35

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
desangel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by desangel »

Something less invasive?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You should have Gnome Calendar installed as a standalone app - that supports Google Calendar integration via Gnome Online Accounts.

Or if you use Chromium/Chrome it's straightforward to create a Calendar WebApp using the create shortcuts function in both of these browsers. If you allow Chrome / Chromium to run in the background (and create a startup job to launch them in the background), and give permission for Google Calendar to send push notifications you'll get your Calendar Notifications as native Cinnamon notifications.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mfreeman »

Unfortunately, Cinnamon's calendar is absolutely worthless. I (and others) have been requesting some basic event functionality for many years, with no success in getting any kind of momentum. This is one of my few gripes about Linux Mint. I really need a small calendar tool, in applet form, that lets me quickly drop down an event calendar without disturbing what I'm working on, to glance at what's on my agenda. Maybe even the ability to quickly add an event to the calendar without loading in a full-blown application like Evolution or Thunderbird/Lightning. But that's just not something that's important to the devs, it seems. I'm trying to learn how to work with applet programming, but I'm nowhere near that level of programming skill yet, otherwise this would be my pet project.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Menu/Calendar does exactly what you are looking for.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Menu/Calendar is a great start. It would be nice if they had more options/configuration. Don't default to an all-day event. Don't default to no sound for a reminder. Add 0 minutes to the reminder . . .
Oh, and one other thing. It would be nice if the reminder popped up and a sound activated, if you set a reminder with sound.
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mfreeman »

spamegg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:09 am Menu/Calendar does exactly what you are looking for.
Where do I find "Menu/Calendar"?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Menu is the green LM button in the lower left.
Type in Cal - and pick calendar.
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mfreeman »

Oh, no. That's absolutely the opposite of what I'm looking for. I thought you were talking about an applet that I'd not seen yet. I don't want to have to load up another program over what I'm doing. I want something that sits in the panel and can quickly be opened and closed without running additional programs that cover up the content in my open windows. What I'm looking for is exactly the current calendar applet that currently sits in the panel, but with the ability to show my appointments and events. That's absolutely not what Menu -> Calendar is. I'm looking for what every other DE and OS in existence has had for decades, and what Cinnamon has never had.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

OK, so you have made your feature request. We will hope for someone to come along and build this for us.
BTW, do you know the name of a calendar application that fits your needs? Which OS is it on now? Maybe find a Youtube video of that and post it here.
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mfreeman »

mikeflan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:09 pm BTW, do you know the name of a calendar application that fits your needs?
It's not an application per se, as it's the included extensions/plasmoids/applets/etc. that come built-in or are downloadable into the various DE's and OS's.
Which OS is it on now? Maybe find a Youtube video of that and post it here.
It's on Linux (in the GNOME, KDE, MATE, etc. DE's but not in Cinnamon), Windows

I think images are probably enough to get the point across. Here are some examples of what I'm wanting in Cinnamon:
GNOME: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TN8O ... lendar.png
KDE: https://kde.org/announcements/plasma/5/ ... ts-wee.png
MATE: https://ubuntu-mate.org/images/blog/eoa ... tetime.png
ElementaryOS: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ySN64npV9pg/maxresdefault.jpg
Windows: http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/upl ... te_1-1.png
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Thank you. Those images are very helpful. It's too bad LM is deficient in this area. I'm sure it will improve in the future. I use Thunderbird Lightning and it works good for me.
ghiamar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ghiamar »

Hope this gets done eventually, it's definitely a missing point of Cinnamon..

Return to “Software & Applications”