Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vittopascu
Level 1
Level 1

Dolphin File Manager Problems in Cinnamon

Post by vittopascu »

Dear All,

I am running Linux Mint 19.2 with Cinnamon and I love it very much. However, both Nemo and Nautilus file managers are a bit limited for my use, for a number of reasons that I won't bore you with and that I am not here to discuss.
The perfect solution to my problem is installing the dolphin file manager, however I encounter a couple of issues.

First, dolphin does not comply to the general cinnamon theme that I have set up, which I guess is because it is meant to be used with KDE, but I can live with that.

Second, I can't seem to be able to install plugins or "services". I installed the dolphin-plugins package that gave me access to more "default" plugins like dropbox, but still the new "services" I install, like for instance the Meld menu, don't show up in the service list and can therefore not be activated.

Any idea how to solve these problems, in particular the second one? Thank you all very much in advance.
mikaelrask
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Dolphin File Manager Problems in Cinnamon

Post by mikaelrask »

hi, is it this package your locking for? https://store.kde.org/p/1244699/
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphic Card: nvidia 2070 super
Ram 16 GB
Kernel: 5.4.0.48-generic
kubuntu 20.04

Laptop:
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-245m
cinnamon 20
Kernel 5,4.0.48-generic
Ram 4 gb
vittopascu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vittopascu »

Yes, among others. Dolphin has an internal menu for installing this kind of packages, but when installed through Dolphin, said packages don't "show up" in the list of services. Would you suggest to install this package separately?
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'm a KDE user and I used to install Dolphin in GTK DEs but no longer. I don't think you'll ever get the same functionality in a non KDE DE than with KDE. I came to the conlusion that if I really dislike the file manager that came with the DE that much it's better to change DEs.
vittopascu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vittopascu »

Hi Rob,

That is the same conclusion I came to. Nautilus, Nemo & Thunar are decent file managers but they have this issue where when a window is full of files or folders in "list" view, you cannot right-click anywhere, because there is no blank "background" space between or around the items. This is a serious issue because I work a lot in the file manager for my job, and this is a constant, repetitive annoyance.

This issue is more than 10 years old, people have been complaining for a long time and, while it seems that the developers are beginning to think about fixing it, it might take quite long before the change lands on Mint.

Sadly, I decided to leave Cinnamon in favor of KDE for this very reason only, so that I can use Dolphin that does not present this issue. It is a true shame though, because Cinnamon is such a good DE...
Linuxwins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linuxwins »

I have the same problem. I hope that Dolphin will become the second file explorer in Mint and fully integrated. Why should Linux Mint be limited to one file manager?
professorsnapper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by professorsnapper »

I would like to use Dolphin under Linux Mint also. I've seen comments from other Mint users which echo Rob's comments above, which is a pity. I dig Linux Mint & Cinnamon, and yet I want a more feature-rich file manager...

In particular, these are the features I want Dolphin for:
- the ability to easily search for files of a given type (videos / pictures / docs /etc), preferably from the sidebar (as Dolphin does)
- being able to apply tags/labels to a file, as well as a star rating

I see a couple of possible approaches here - I don't have any idea which is more viable:
1. make Dolphin play well with non-KDE desktops; or
2. for Nemo to incorporate the above features

I'd be keen to hear others' thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Ken.
rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

vittopascu wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 am
Nautilus, Nemo & Thunar are decent file managers but they have this issue where when a window is full of files or folders in "list" view, you cannot right-click anywhere, because there is no blank "background" space between or around the items. This is a serious issue because I work a lot in the file manager for my job, and this is a constant, repetitive annoyance.
Cinnamon 19.3, Nemo, full of files/folders, list view, right click seems to work for me.
ss-20-04-05_11-07.png
vittopascu wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 am
Cinnamon is such a good DE...
Maybe, but for many reasons I don't prefer it. Screen brightness has also been a bug for many years, yet no simple fix ?
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

Return to “Software & Applications”