Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

software - serious shortage of good board/card games

Post by Minux1 »

You cerebral programmer type can carry on throwing around $14 words about networking and C++ code but as a new Linux user I noticed right off the bat a serious deficit of good card and board games (checkers, chess, backgammon, euchre, hearts, solitaire) in the Linux domain as compared to windows.
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: software - serious shortage of good board/card games

Post by RIH »

I am not really a games player but, at a glance, there seemed quite a few board based games in the software manager.
Plus, if you have particular favourites ex-Windows then PlayonLinux is always worth a look.
Steam is also an option for anyone into serious game play, but there are 'small' free games there too..
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

As far as Linux's chess apps are concerned, I agree with Minux1. They suck.
TLMAC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TLMAC »

Minux1:

There is a relatively simple solution to your issue - "Get Involved".

Linux is not Windows (hopefully never will be). It's a community of users who share and help one another whenever possible. Package creators are always searching for help (not just coders), including beta testers and donations. Without users helping one another and getting involved Linux would surely suffer for software packages - big time. In my experience, sitting around waiting for someone to create that which you desire - is likely to end poorly.

If your truly concerned about the volume of available gaming software and you don't wish to start your own. Do an on-line search for "ongoing Linux gaming projects" and find one or more that's acceptable to you. Then get involved. Contact the creator(s) and offer your assistance, if you don't have any skills that are needed - offer to beta test or make a donation .

IMHO:

Complaining, solves little and only satisfies the complainer. Those who get involved to make a difference - are the real heroes. I've been Linux only since 2008 and can honestly say that the benefits significantly outweigh the problems. I've participated in numerous projects as a user guide writer and have made donations to other projects. When I consider complaining, I simply remind myself that I could still be using that "other os". Scary... :)

I'm wondering, Have you done an on-line search for Linux board/card based games. As RIH points out, there seems to be quite a few located in the Mint software manager. Not to mention, those that might show up in a search. That's not to say that the existing games have all the desired aesthetics/sounds.

Good Luck and I do hope that all Linux users take pride in our community and get involved. In Linux it's not about competition - it's about co-operation and it really can be that simple...

Mac
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi Minux1,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

There may not be as many board games in the Linux systems as there are in MS Windows because they include games that cost money, but there are are a lot of really good free and paid for games available and you can run many MS Windows games in Linux using Wine and or Play On Linux ("SolSuite" works) or through the Steam for Linux gaming system with Proton support. And, don't forget about all the online games that can be played in most browsers on any computer operating system.

There are a lot of solitaire games, chess games with various chess engines, backgammon (gnubg), etc... some of in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) and I would first try the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

GNU Backgammon Alternatives for Linux - AlternativeTo.net
- anything that shows Linux should work.
https://alternativeto.net/software/gnu- ... form=linux

- Professional Backgammon Software for Windows | Mac | Linux
http://www.bgblitz.com/

Linux for my 80 year old father? - Linux Mint Forums
- has various links to games
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=232723&hilit=solitaire

Card Games Mega Collection on Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/8438 ... ollection/

17 Games Like Euchre for Linux | 50 Games Like
https://www.50gameslike.com/games-like/euchre/linux

Hope this helps ...
BgBlitz backgammon
BgBlitz backgammon
gnu backgammon - in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"
gnu backgammon - in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
MontyMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MontyMan »

Dear Minux,

Years ago I found a program called PySol, which requires the installation of Python infrastructure. It stuck out because it was the only solitaire game package I could find for Linux that could handle Calculation, my favorite solitaire game.

Over the years I've installed Python and Pysol on Fedora, CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu. I haven't tried it in Mint yet.

If 19.2 is anything like 19.1, when you go into the software package manager, you'll need to uncheck a box that says "featured packages only" in order to search for everything available in your repositories. If you don't do that, it can appear that almost nothing is available.

HTH
Monty.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi MontyMan, Minux, etc...

There is an updated version of PySol solitaire that I am running and it works well.
"PySol Fan Club Edition (PySolFC) is a collection of more than 1000 solitaire card games. It is a fork of PySol Solitaire."

PySolFC Solitaire Home Page
https://pysolfc.sourceforge.io/

Hope this helps ...
PySol Fan Club Edition
PySol Fan Club Edition
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

MontyMan wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:13 pm
Dear Minux,

Years ago I found a program called PySol, which requires the installation of Python infrastructure. It stuck out because it was the only solitaire game package I could find for Linux that could handle Calculation, my favorite solitaire game.

Over the years I've installed Python and Pysol on Fedora, CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu. I haven't tried it in Mint yet.

If 19.2 is anything like 19.1, when you go into the software package manager, you'll need to uncheck a box that says "featured packages only" in order to search for everything available in your repositories. If you don't do that, it can appear that almost nothing is available.

HTH
Monty.
Thanks ... I´ll check it out. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”