Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ufotech
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Linux Mint + mono-complete + monodevelop

Post by ufotech » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:33 pm

Hello,

I've done a fresh install of Linux Mint 19.2 Tina XFCE version ( https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3788 ) and allowed the update manager to update all available updates without any problems.

From a terminal I did the following:

sudo su
apt update
apt-cache search mono-complete

This responded with: mono-complete - complete Mono runtime, development tools and all libraries

Having verified that it was available, I then issued the following:

apt install mono-complete --install-recommends

Mono installed without reporting any errors back to me.

To verify the installation as being correct I created a small hello world type file.
using System;
public class HelloWorld
{ public static void Main(string[] args)
{ Console.WriteLine ("It works"); }
}
Next from the terminal I issued the following:
mcs -out:hello.exe hello.cs

This compiled my hello without problem.

Next from the terminal I issued the following:
mono hello.exe

This executed my compiled code and responded properly.

Now that I know that mono is installed and working properly on my system I decided to install monodevelop.

From the terminal I checked to see if it was available from the Linux Mint 19.2 respositories.

apt-cache search monodevelop

However, at this time monodevelop is not available from the official Linux Mint 19.2 respositories, so I googled and found that Monodevelop offers a repository for installation.

https://www.monodevelop.com/download/

As Linux Mint 19.2 is essentially Ubuntu 18.04 LTS I used the instructions from the above page to install.

sudo apt install apt-transport-https dirmngr
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu vs-bionic main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-vs.list
sudo apt update

apt update reported back that it had updated the database but that I had several files that needed to be upgraded.
I then issued in terminal the following:
apt upgrade

This failed..

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mono-complete : Depends: ca-certificates-mono (= 6.0.0.319-0xamarin2+ubuntu1804b1) but 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 is installed
mono-devel : Depends: ca-certificates-mono (= 6.0.0.319-0xamarin2+ubuntu1804b1) but 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I used apt check to check for broken dependencies which also tells me to try the command apt --fix-broken install.

However this is not valid with the current version of apt.

apt check
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
mono-complete : Depends: ca-certificates-mono (= 6.0.0.319-0xamarin2+ubuntu1804b1) but 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 is installed
mono-devel : Depends: ca-certificates-mono (= 6.0.0.319-0xamarin2+ubuntu1804b1) but 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

and also
apt --fix-broken install

Which simply displays apt command information.

apt
Usage: apt command [options]
apt help command [options]

Commands:
add-repository - Add entries to apt sources.list
autoclean - Erase old downloaded archive files
autoremove - Remove automatically all unused packages
build - Build binary or source packages from sources
build-dep - Configure build-dependencies for source packages
changelog - View a package's changelog
check - Verify that there are no broken dependencies
clean - Erase downloaded archive files
contains - List packages containing a file
content - List files contained in a package
deb - Install a .deb package
depends - Show raw dependency information for a package
dist-upgrade - Upgrade the system by removing/installing/upgrading packages
download - Download the .deb file for a package
edit-sources - Edit /etc/apt/sources.list with your preferred text editor
dselect-upgrade - Follow dselect selections
full-upgrade - Same as 'dist-upgrade'
held - List all held packages
help - Show help for a command
hold - Hold a package
install - Install/upgrade packages
list - List packages based on package names
policy - Show policy settings
purge - Remove packages and their configuration files
recommends - List missing recommended packages for a particular package
rdepends - Show reverse dependency information for a package
reinstall - Download and (possibly) reinstall a currently installed package
remove - Remove packages
search - Search for a package by name and/or expression
show - Display detailed information about a package
showhold - Same as 'held'
showsrc - Display all the source package records that match the given package name
source - Download source archives
sources - Same as 'edit-sources'
unhold - Unhold a package
update - Download lists of new/upgradable packages
upgrade - Perform a safe upgrade
version - Show the installed version of a package

I then attempted to reinstall mono-complete using apt reinstall mono-complete

This then provided back the following response.

apt reinstall mono-complete
The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
mono-complete{b}
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libchicken-dev{u} libchicken8{u} libmono-system-runtime-interopservices-runtimeinformation4.0-cil{u} libnunit-cil-dev{u} libnunit-console-runner2.6.3-cil{u} libnunit-core-interfaces2.6.3-cil{u} libnunit-core2.6.3-cil{u}
libnunit-framework2.6.3-cil{u} libnunit-mocks2.6.3-cil{u} libnunit-util2.6.3-cil{u} libpcre16-3{u} libpcre3-dev{u} libpcre32-3{u} libpcrecpp0v5{u}
The following partially installed packages will be configured:
desktop-file-utils gnome-menus libc-bin libgdiplus libmono-2.0-1 libmono-2.0-dev libmono-accessibility4.0-cil libmono-cairo4.0-cil libmono-cecil-private-cil libmono-cil-dev libmono-codecontracts4.0-cil
libmono-compilerservices-symbolwriter4.0-cil libmono-cscompmgd0.0-cil libmono-csharp4.0c-cil libmono-custommarshalers4.0-cil libmono-data-tds4.0-cil libmono-db2-1.0-cil libmono-debugger-soft4.0a-cil libmono-http4.0-cil
libmono-i18n-cjk4.0-cil libmono-i18n-mideast4.0-cil libmono-i18n-other4.0-cil libmono-i18n-rare4.0-cil libmono-i18n-west4.0-cil libmono-i18n4.0-all libmono-i18n4.0-cil libmono-ldap4.0-cil libmono-management4.0-cil
libmono-messaging-rabbitmq4.0-cil libmono-messaging4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-build-engine4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-build-framework4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-build-tasks-v4.0-4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-build-utilities-v4.0-4.0-cil
libmono-microsoft-build4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-csharp4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-visualc10.0-cil libmono-microsoft-web-infrastructure1.0-cil libmono-oracle4.0-cil libmono-parallel4.0-cil libmono-peapi4.0a-cil libmono-posix4.0-cil
libmono-profiler libmono-rabbitmq4.0-cil libmono-relaxng4.0-cil libmono-sharpzip4.84-cil libmono-simd4.0-cil libmono-smdiagnostics0.0-cil libmono-sqlite4.0-cil libmono-system-componentmodel-composition4.0-cil
libmono-system-componentmodel-dataannotations4.0-cil libmono-system-configuration-install4.0-cil libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil libmono-system-core4.0-cil libmono-system-data-datasetextensions4.0-cil
libmono-system-data-entity4.0-cil libmono-system-data-linq4.0-cil libmono-system-data-services-client4.0-cil libmono-system-data-services4.0-cil libmono-system-data4.0-cil libmono-system-deployment4.0-cil
libmono-system-design4.0-cil libmono-system-drawing-design4.0-cil libmono-system-drawing4.0-cil libmono-system-dynamic4.0-cil libmono-system-enterpriseservices4.0-cil libmono-system-identitymodel-selectors4.0-cil
libmono-system-identitymodel4.0-cil libmono-system-io-compression-filesystem4.0-cil libmono-system-io-compression4.0-cil libmono-system-json-microsoft4.0-cil libmono-system-json4.0-cil libmono-system-ldap-protocols4.0-cil
libmono-system-ldap4.0-cil libmono-system-management4.0-cil libmono-system-messaging4.0-cil libmono-system-net-http-formatting4.0-cil libmono-system-net-http-webrequest4.0-cil libmono-system-net-http4.0-cil
libmono-system-net4.0-cil libmono-system-numerics-vectors4.0-cil libmono-system-reactive-core2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-debugger2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-experimental2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-interfaces2.2-cil
libmono-system-reactive-linq2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-observable-aliases0.0-cil libmono-system-reactive-platformservices2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-providers2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-runtime-remoting2.2-cil
libmono-system-reactive-windows-forms2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-windows-threading2.2-cil libmono-system-reflection-context4.0-cil libmono-system-runtime-caching4.0-cil libmono-system-runtime-durableinstancing4.0-cil
libmono-system-runtime-serialization-formatters-soap4.0-cil libmono-system-runtime-serialization4.0-cil libmono-system-runtime4.0-cil libmono-system-security4.0-cil libmono-system-servicemodel-activation4.0-cil
libmono-system-servicemodel-discovery4.0-cil libmono-system-servicemodel-internals0.0-cil libmono-system-servicemodel-routing4.0-cil libmono-system-servicemodel-web4.0-cil libmono-system-servicemodel4.0a-cil
libmono-system-serviceprocess4.0-cil libmono-system-threading-tasks-dataflow4.0-cil libmono-system-transactions4.0-cil libmono-system-web-abstractions4.0-cil libmono-system-web-applicationservices4.0-cil
libmono-system-web-dynamicdata4.0-cil libmono-system-web-extensions-design4.0-cil libmono-system-web-extensions4.0-cil libmono-system-web-http-selfhost4.0-cil libmono-system-web-http-webhost4.0-cil libmono-system-web-http4.0-cil
libmono-system-web-mobile4.0-cil libmono-system-web-mvc3.0-cil libmono-system-web-razor2.0-cil libmono-system-web-regularexpressions4.0-cil libmono-system-web-routing4.0-cil libmono-system-web-services4.0-cil
libmono-system-web-webpages-deployment2.0-cil libmono-system-web-webpages-razor2.0-cil libmono-system-web-webpages2.0-cil libmono-system-web4.0-cil libmono-system-windows-forms-datavisualization4.0a-cil
libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil libmono-system-windows4.0-cil libmono-system-workflow-activities4.0-cil libmono-system-workflow-componentmodel4.0-cil libmono-system-workflow-runtime4.0-cil libmono-system-xaml4.0-cil
libmono-system-xml-linq4.0-cil libmono-system-xml-serialization4.0-cil libmono-system-xml4.0-cil libmono-system4.0-cil libmono-tasklets4.0-cil libmono-webbrowser4.0-cil libmono-webmatrix-data4.0-cil libmono-windowsbase4.0-cil
libmono-xbuild-tasks4.0-cil libmonoboehm-2.0-1 libmonosgen-2.0-1 libmonosgen-2.0-dev man-db mime-support mono-4.0-service mono-csharp-shell mono-devel{b} mono-gac mono-jay mono-llvm-support mono-llvm-tools mono-mcs mono-roslyn
mono-runtime-common mono-utils mono-xbuild mono-xsp4 mono-xsp4-base monodoc-base monodoc-http monodoc-manual msbuild msbuild-libhostfxr msbuild-sdkresolver referenceassemblies-pcl systemd ureadahead
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 14 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 28.7 MB will be freed.
mono-devel : Depends: ca-certificates-mono (= 6.0.0.319-0xamarin2+ubuntu1804b1) but 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 is installed and it is kept back
mono-complete : Depends: ca-certificates-mono (= 6.0.0.319-0xamarin2+ubuntu1804b1) but 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 is installed and it is kept back
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Upgrade the following packages:
1) ca-certificates-mono [4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 (bionic, now) -> 6.0.0.319-0xamarin2+ubuntu1804b1 (vs-bionic)]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

I entered Y to accept the solution, and it asked me to confirm I wanted to install the files, to which I also answered Y.

However this too failed with the following:

The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
mono-complete
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libchicken-dev{u} libchicken8{u} libmono-system-runtime-interopservices-runtimeinformation4.0-cil{u} libnunit-cil-dev{u} libnunit-console-runner2.6.3-cil{u} libnunit-core-interfaces2.6.3-cil{u} libnunit-core2.6.3-cil{u}
libnunit-framework2.6.3-cil{u} libnunit-mocks2.6.3-cil{u} libnunit-util2.6.3-cil{u} libpcre16-3{u} libpcre3-dev{u} libpcre32-3{u} libpcrecpp0v5{u}
The following packages will be upgraded:
ca-certificates-mono
The following partially installed packages will be configured:
desktop-file-utils gnome-menus libc-bin libgdiplus libmono-2.0-1 libmono-2.0-dev libmono-accessibility4.0-cil libmono-cairo4.0-cil libmono-cecil-private-cil libmono-cil-dev libmono-codecontracts4.0-cil
libmono-compilerservices-symbolwriter4.0-cil libmono-cscompmgd0.0-cil libmono-csharp4.0c-cil libmono-custommarshalers4.0-cil libmono-data-tds4.0-cil libmono-db2-1.0-cil libmono-debugger-soft4.0a-cil libmono-http4.0-cil
libmono-i18n-cjk4.0-cil libmono-i18n-mideast4.0-cil libmono-i18n-other4.0-cil libmono-i18n-rare4.0-cil libmono-i18n-west4.0-cil libmono-i18n4.0-all libmono-i18n4.0-cil libmono-ldap4.0-cil libmono-management4.0-cil
libmono-messaging-rabbitmq4.0-cil libmono-messaging4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-build-engine4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-build-framework4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-build-tasks-v4.0-4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-build-utilities-v4.0-4.0-cil
libmono-microsoft-build4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-csharp4.0-cil libmono-microsoft-visualc10.0-cil libmono-microsoft-web-infrastructure1.0-cil libmono-oracle4.0-cil libmono-parallel4.0-cil libmono-peapi4.0a-cil libmono-posix4.0-cil
libmono-profiler libmono-rabbitmq4.0-cil libmono-relaxng4.0-cil libmono-sharpzip4.84-cil libmono-simd4.0-cil libmono-smdiagnostics0.0-cil libmono-sqlite4.0-cil libmono-system-componentmodel-composition4.0-cil
libmono-system-componentmodel-dataannotations4.0-cil libmono-system-configuration-install4.0-cil libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil libmono-system-core4.0-cil libmono-system-data-datasetextensions4.0-cil
libmono-system-data-entity4.0-cil libmono-system-data-linq4.0-cil libmono-system-data-services-client4.0-cil libmono-system-data-services4.0-cil libmono-system-data4.0-cil libmono-system-deployment4.0-cil
libmono-system-design4.0-cil libmono-system-drawing-design4.0-cil libmono-system-drawing4.0-cil libmono-system-dynamic4.0-cil libmono-system-enterpriseservices4.0-cil libmono-system-identitymodel-selectors4.0-cil
libmono-system-identitymodel4.0-cil libmono-system-io-compression-filesystem4.0-cil libmono-system-io-compression4.0-cil libmono-system-json-microsoft4.0-cil libmono-system-json4.0-cil libmono-system-ldap-protocols4.0-cil
libmono-system-ldap4.0-cil libmono-system-management4.0-cil libmono-system-messaging4.0-cil libmono-system-net-http-formatting4.0-cil libmono-system-net-http-webrequest4.0-cil libmono-system-net-http4.0-cil
libmono-system-net4.0-cil libmono-system-numerics-vectors4.0-cil libmono-system-reactive-core2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-debugger2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-experimental2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-interfaces2.2-cil
libmono-system-reactive-linq2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-observable-aliases0.0-cil libmono-system-reactive-platformservices2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-providers2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-runtime-remoting2.2-cil
libmono-system-reactive-windows-forms2.2-cil libmono-system-reactive-windows-threading2.2-cil libmono-system-reflection-context4.0-cil libmono-system-runtime-caching4.0-cil libmono-system-runtime-durableinstancing4.0-cil
libmono-system-runtime-serialization-formatters-soap4.0-cil libmono-system-runtime-serialization4.0-cil libmono-system-runtime4.0-cil libmono-system-security4.0-cil libmono-system-servicemodel-activation4.0-cil
libmono-system-servicemodel-discovery4.0-cil libmono-system-servicemodel-internals0.0-cil libmono-system-servicemodel-routing4.0-cil libmono-system-servicemodel-web4.0-cil libmono-system-servicemodel4.0a-cil
libmono-system-serviceprocess4.0-cil libmono-system-threading-tasks-dataflow4.0-cil libmono-system-transactions4.0-cil libmono-system-web-abstractions4.0-cil libmono-system-web-applicationservices4.0-cil
libmono-system-web-dynamicdata4.0-cil libmono-system-web-extensions-design4.0-cil libmono-system-web-extensions4.0-cil libmono-system-web-http-selfhost4.0-cil libmono-system-web-http-webhost4.0-cil libmono-system-web-http4.0-cil
libmono-system-web-mobile4.0-cil libmono-system-web-mvc3.0-cil libmono-system-web-razor2.0-cil libmono-system-web-regularexpressions4.0-cil libmono-system-web-routing4.0-cil libmono-system-web-services4.0-cil
libmono-system-web-webpages-deployment2.0-cil libmono-system-web-webpages-razor2.0-cil libmono-system-web-webpages2.0-cil libmono-system-web4.0-cil libmono-system-windows-forms-datavisualization4.0a-cil
libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil libmono-system-windows4.0-cil libmono-system-workflow-activities4.0-cil libmono-system-workflow-componentmodel4.0-cil libmono-system-workflow-runtime4.0-cil libmono-system-xaml4.0-cil
libmono-system-xml-linq4.0-cil libmono-system-xml-serialization4.0-cil libmono-system-xml4.0-cil libmono-system4.0-cil libmono-tasklets4.0-cil libmono-webbrowser4.0-cil libmono-webmatrix-data4.0-cil libmono-windowsbase4.0-cil
libmono-xbuild-tasks4.0-cil libmonoboehm-2.0-1 libmonosgen-2.0-1 libmonosgen-2.0-dev man-db mime-support mono-4.0-service mono-csharp-shell mono-devel mono-gac mono-jay mono-llvm-support mono-llvm-tools mono-mcs mono-roslyn
mono-runtime-common mono-utils mono-xbuild mono-xsp4 mono-xsp4-base monodoc-base monodoc-http monodoc-manual msbuild msbuild-libhostfxr msbuild-sdkresolver referenceassemblies-pcl systemd ureadahead
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 14 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/31.3 kB of archives. After unpacking 28.7 MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
E: Internal Error, No file name for mono-complete:amd64

It would be EXCELLENT if we had an official Linux Mint 19.2 repository release for Mono Develop, especially since we have an official Linux Mint 19.2 repository for mono-complete.

Not sure what else I can do at this point to get it installed.

Suggestions?

Thank you in advanced.
Last edited by ufotech on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ufotech
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint + mono-complete + monodevelop

Post by ufotech » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:24 pm

After several days of trying to get mono and monodevelop installed on my system, i determined that the instructions provided on the mono-project and monodevelop websites would not work with Linux Mint 19.2.

Here are the exact step by step instructions that I used to get mono and monodevelop installed on my own system.
I have repeated this process several times now to verify that it works.
Just follow the instructions below exactly as indicated and it should install for you too. :D

HOW TO INSTALL MONO-COMPLETE AND MONODEVELOP ON LINUX MINT 19.2

Step 1: Perform a clean install of Linux Mint 19.2
Step 2: Reboot as needed
Step 3: Once the system has rebooted into the fresh install you may notice the update manager indicating that you have updates that need installing. Update manager will indicate that the update manager needs to apply an update to itself. Click OK and install it.
Step 4: Once the update manager has updated itself, you will see several additional updates that need installed. Go aheaad and install those as well.
Step 5: There is probably a kernel update in the updates you just installed, so go ahead and reboot the system.
Step 6: Once the system has rebooted, log in as you normally would.
Step 7: Open a terminal window.
Step 8: sudo su
Step 9: enter your password when prompted.
Step 10: apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
Step 11: echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu stable-bionic main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list
Step 12: apt update
STep 13: The system may report back that there are updates available, ignore this for now, we will update those when we're done.
Step 13: apt install mono-complete -y
Step 14: Your system should now have the current version of Mono installed, next we need to install the monodevelop packages from the official repository.
Step 15: apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
Step 16: echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu vs-bionic main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-vs.list
Step 17: apt update
Step 18: The system may report back there are updates available. Do not install them yet.
Step 19: apt install monodevelop -y
Step 20: reboot
Step 21: Once your computer has rebooted, log into your system as you normally would.
Step 20: If the system update manager indicates that you have updates available, go ahead and allow the system to update as needed.
Step 21: Click on your mint menu icon and look for the section named "Development", and click on MonoDevelop.
Step 22: Congratulations, you should now have the lastest stable versions of Mono and Monodevelop installed.

I hope others will find this informations useful.

Return to “Software & Applications”