How do I stop chrome from hijacking my audio controls?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
efffff
Level 1
Level 1

How do I stop chrome from hijacking my audio controls?

Post by efffff » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:57 pm

I am running Mint 18.2 and cinnamon 3.4.6. I usually have rhythmbox running in the background and my keyboard controls can pause, skip songs, etc. For some reason (started happening the past 2 days), whenever I start using chrome the keyboard controls stop working for rhythmbox. In my 'Sound' applet the "Choose player controls" will show chrome selected. Switching focus to rhythmbox doesn't solve the problem. I have to go to my 'Sound' applet and select rhythmbox but as soon as I switch focus to chrome again the controls for rhythmbox stop working. I never want chrome to control the audio buttons on my keyboard...always want rhythmbox but it won't give me the option to remove chrome. How do I do it?

Rtep
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How do I stop chrome from hijacking my audio controls?

Post by Rtep » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am

Stop using Google for anything! I did it years and years ago. I disabled/uninstalled everything Google on all my devices.My desktops, laptops, tablets and phones are working MUCH better now. I came to Linux from Windows because constant spying. Why in the world anybody want Chrome to do just that here in Linux, is beyond me. Just my two cents.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How do I stop chrome from hijacking my audio controls?

Post by Flemur » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:30 am

efffff wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:57 pm
For some reason (started happening the past 2 days), whenever I start using chrome the keyboard controls stop working for rhythmbox. In my 'Sound' applet the "Choose player controls" will show chrome selected. Switching focus to rhythmbox doesn't solve the problem. ... I never want chrome to control the audio buttons on my keyboard...always want rhythmbox but it won't give me the option to remove chrome. How do I do it?
Don't worry, it's a nifty feature!

July 7, 2019 https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/chrom ... -controls/
"Google’s Chrome browser will soon be getting a nifty feature: media controls which let you interact with currently playing videos from the address bar."

This might help, even though it's for windows -

"How to Enable or Disable chrome.exe Volume Control and Hardware Media Key Handling in Google Chrome"
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/134 ... dling.html

If no luck there, you might try finding the file the programs are changing, and making it un-writable.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Software & Applications”