Before you post please read how to get help
wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Update manager error

Post by wpshooter » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:16 pm

Got the following when attempting to refresh in update manager:

Code: Select all

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), is another process using it?
E: _cache->open() failed, please report
Closed update manager and went right back into it and refreshed again and did not get error.

Any action needed regarding this error message, what does the please report mean, report to whom ?

Thanks.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Update manager error

Post by all41 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Perhaps a clue:
Resource temporarily unavailable

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:38 pm

wpshooter wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:16 pm
Any action needed regarding this error message, what does the please report mean, report to whom ?
Perhaps for future reference you might want to have a look at:
Fix ‘E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock’ Error
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:00 am

all41 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:18 pm
Perhaps a clue:
Resource temporarily unavailable
Have no idea as to what this resource refers to nor why it would possibly be unavailable since my computer had just been booted from a cold start and update manager was just attempting to be used for first and only time since booting, unless it is referring to the Mint server being unavailable.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:29 am

wpshooter wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:00 am
Have no idea as to what this resource refers to nor why it would possibly be unavailable
You had posted the resource name yourself in your initial post when you posted the error messages.

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
This is the name of the resource, which is temporarily unavailable: /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend

Why this resource may temporarily unavailable?
From the same error message again:

E: [...] is another process using it?
That your machine had started up without problems in this specific context is irrelevant, because the system startup process does not have to be able to lock the file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend exclusively. It will not even try to do so.
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:37 am

Is it possible that the update manager was itself doing its automatic checking for updates, at the same time?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:42 am

Moem wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:37 am
Is it possible that the update manager was itself doing its automatic checking for updates, at the same time?
Depends on the Mint/Update Manager version. My Update Manager fork from my PPA will prevent concurrent refresh attempts and delay refresh/installation operations while an existing lock is detected, but IIRC some form of that feature still made it into 19.2 as well (edit: I checked and no, not really). But prior versions did indeed not verify either of this.
Last edited by gm10 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Moem wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:37 am
Strictly my guess that you have probably hit the nail on the head, so this sounds like a bug of sorts to me !!!

Am I supposed to know if and when this is taking place and not attempt to do a refresh while this is going on, if so
where is the warning saying wooooo, boy, hold on a second ? If that is what the error message is saying, then it
is a bit crypitic isn't it, because I as a non-developer of this OS, have no idea as to what /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend is about, nor do
I have any real desire to know that ?

Thanks.

cliffcoggin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cliffcoggin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:45 pm

wpshooter wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:09 pm
it
is a bit crypitic isn't it, because I as a non-developer of this OS, have no idea as to what /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend is about, nor do
I have any real desire to know that ?
I sympathise with your frustration as I am in the same boat. Unfortunately few people seem able to translate those sort of messages into language that is comprehensible to us computer non enthusiasts.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:59 pm

wpshooter wrote:
Strictly my guess that you have probably hit the nail on the head, so this sounds like a bug of sorts to me !!!

Am I supposed to know if and when this is taking place and not attempt to do a refresh while this is going on, if so
where is the warning saying wooooo, boy, hold on a second ? I
As I mentioned to Moem above, this behaviour is handled differently in my PPA, but you cannot call the official behaviour a bug. My approach has the downside that if you keep the package management system locked indefinitely you will never receive updates without receiving an error message for it (just a log message) because the app will just keep delaying the refresh indefinitely as well. I can imagine there are users who would prefer the official behaviour.

Personally I think my way is the more user friendly way and judging from your post you may agree, so feel free to use my PPA if you want.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:21 pm

wpshooter wrote:
where is the warning saying wooooo, boy, hold on a second ?
I think the expected behaviour is simply not to refresh the update manager manually, but let it do its automated thing.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”