Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Firefox Profile Missing Or Inaccessible

Post by sadhu »

I upgraded to LM 19.1, had some problems with firefox, trying to set a new location and name for the FF profile. Now I'm getting this error always, even when I try to run an old version of firefox, after copying the old profiles.ini file.

Here's what I have done so far:
  1. Removed the distribution FF, deleted the ~.mozilla folder, and reinstalled. Get the same error.
  2. Removed the dist. FF, deleted the .mozilla/firefox folder, copied in the saved profiles.ini into a new firefox folder, then invoked the old firefox from it's special directory.
  3. On all versions, tried 'firefox --ProfileManager from the command line
No matter what I do, I keep getting this error.

What I have decided to do from here on out is only run with Firefox [latest] and put up with the fact that my old favourite addons don't work. But I can't.

How do I get firefox to work? Is there some setting or file in my .config, .cache, or .local directories?

TIA
-Sadhu
Last edited by sadhu on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.2-64 Cinn 4.2.4, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:Dell Inspiron 15-3000, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Firefox Profile Missing Or Inaccessible

Post by Terryphi »

I do not understand why you felt it was necessary to try setting a new location and name for the FF profile. Why do you use a "special directory"?
Check in /yourusername/.mozilla/firefox and see that profiles.ini points to the name of the profile in that directory.
If everything appears correct you probably have a corrupted profile. It might help if you posted here the contents of files profiles.ini and installs.ini .
Version: LM 19.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."

sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu »

1. why I have a separate directory for FF (and indeed just about all of my special programs, such is IDEs, NEMO action, etc) is that I have identical setups on a laptop and my desktop. I sync the data between these things using rsync on a back-to-back ethernet null modem cable. I do this so that a setup on one machine is the same as the other.
2. Already did what you ssuggested.

I just tried copying the uncorrupted firefox profile, the complete ~/.mozilla directory AND even the firefox executable directory from my laptop where it still works, to my desktop. I copy the files by deleting the desktop directories, then using rsync. Still no joy.

BTW here's the contents of the profiles.ini file

Code: Select all

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=0

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=0
Path=/ddr/shared_config/profile.ff48
I have been using a setup like this for years. But I seem to have fouled something up when I installed Mint 19.1, because now both firefox and thunderbird can't start because of profile issues. Did the same thing with TBird: copied profile, & .thunderbird folder. TBird works on the laptop.

Gotta be some hidden setting from moz.org.

What really bugs me is that all of the mozilla suggestons don't work, either. I should be able to create a new profile by firefox --ProfileManager, but I still get the error.

-Thanks
-Sadhu
Last edited by sadhu on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.2-64 Cinn 4.2.4, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:Dell Inspiron 15-3000, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

Mine messed up also , I use a profile off of my ssd. I ended up just creating a new profile and copied select files to it to get it back to working.
about:profiles just in case you didn't know.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu »

Found the answer! --corrupted .cache folder:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... ddg#252944

-Thanks for your help and concern

-Sadu

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox Profile Missing Or Inaccessible

Post by HaveaMint »

Thanks , that is good to know.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Software & Applications”