Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rlindau
Level 2
Level 2

Compose Key no longer works - Mint 19.2

Post by rlindau » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:45 am

I'm running Mint 19.2 Mate, having upgraded a couple months back from 19.1, on a Lenovo Thinkpad W520 (generic 105-key PC layout).

I found that my defined compose key (right-alt) no longer works.

What I tried: In Keyboard Preferences / Layouts, I reset the keyboard layout to default, and then under options / position of compose key reset the compose key to right-alt - but no dice: When I hold the right-alt and type (say) o + ", I don't get ö but rather o".

Eventually I tried changing the compose key to a different key (the right menu key) - and that works.

Any idea why the right-alt no longer works as my compose key? Some hardware issue with my laptop? (But it worked previously, under LM 19.1...)

Obviously I can operate now that I've find another key to work as the compose key, but I'd like to get the Right-Alt working again.

Thanks, Rob L

Lanser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Compose Key no longer works - Mint 19.2

Post by Lanser » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi Rob. I use the Win key as the compose key. (it's not good for anything else) and haven't had any problems.
Have you checked through the full list of other mappings in LM19.2 to see if (right-alt) is bound to another function by default?

Lanser
Thinkpads:- LM19.x Mate, LMDE3, Debian 10

rlindau
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Compose Key no longer works - Mint 19.2

Post by rlindau » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:01 pm

I haven't, but I'll do so. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”