cannot drag and drop from SMB share to apps 19.2 cinnamon [UNSOLVED, nemo bug opened]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Eliminateur
Level 1
Level 1

cannot drag and drop from SMB share to apps 19.2 cinnamon [UNSOLVED, nemo bug opened]

Post by Eliminateur » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:15 am

Hello,
i have an issue that i cannot drag and drop files from a SMB share opened in nemo to open applications(if i do that from a local file it works), for example to attach a file to a webmail tab in a browser.
i'm using cinnamon 19.2 64 bit and nemo 4.2.3, inxi output https://pastebin.com/59aEWUBN

doing some googling it seems it's a nemo issue, but the threads i've found are more than a year old and the only bug report has been completely ignored for even longer yet this issue persists, needless to say it hampers productivity a lot.
It doesn't help that if you use the "file open" function of any app, the resulting dialog lacks a location entry option(even when i have it enabled on nemo) so you cannot copy/paste the folder path(to be fair, if you paste the text on that dialog it seems to go to the parent folder of the path you copied automatically).

¿any ideas?

links found:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cinnamon-ca ... ions/55431
https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/1924
Last edited by Eliminateur on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eliminateur
Level 1
Level 1

Re: cannot drag and drop from SMB share to apps 19.2 cinnamon

Post by Eliminateur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:55 pm

tried on another system, same bug, ¿any ideas?, it's impossible to really use the system if i can't drag and drop from a server to a browser windows for example, it also makes using text editors(like notepadqq) inviable as i cannot drag and drop on the window itself.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:56 pm

Yep, I can reproduce that error. Seems to be another gvfs issue. Don't know if it is Nemo specific as the same thing may happen in Gnome. I can tell you that it works as it should in Thunar in Xubuntu.

Of course it works in nemo as expected with a cifs mount of the samba share.

EDIT: And it does appear to be Nemo not a Cinnamon thing since I just installed Thunar in Cinnamon and it works.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Eliminateur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eliminateur » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:15 am

so we're essentially SOL for this... until nemo maintaners fix the issue(or even pick it up).
¿where should i report the bug?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:20 am

GitHub is where bugs are reported. Read all about it here: Reporting an issue in Cinnamon or Linux Mint
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”