Before you post please read how to get help
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: worthless popup blockers

Post by carum carvi » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:41 pm

trytip wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:12 am
are you saying everything is xnot detected if you enable everything?
With Javascript DISabled in that browserleak test site, it could not detect any specific adblocker details. https://browserleaks.com/proxy

However WITH Javascript enabled the above mentioned test site could recognize ALL my ublock settings. Surfing with Javascript DISabled is not workable for me though, therefore your point that Google (or anyone else) can detect exactly what kind of adblockers are being used is a valid warning, because Google (or others) might be finding new ways of circumventing Ublock, NOW they know what exactly is being blocked. On some (rare) websites I visit, videos start automatically playing, even when I have disabled ALL images and videos in Ublock. Recently Firefox has added the extra option of disabling automatic video playing as well. I hope it works...
Attachments
ublock with javascript disabled.png

sleeper12
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sleeper12 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:41 pm

sleeper12 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:56 pm
To block videos in Firefox I use AutoplayBlocker:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
In firefox I go into about:config and put autoplay into Search and block it there. There's a few options there, you can figure them out OK.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

DSHornet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DSHornet » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:37 pm

After scanning through the posts here, I notice nobody mentioned the Ghostery plugin for Firefox and Chrome/Chromium. I've had good results with it in both of those browsers. All advertisements are blocked and everything else is allowed to come through, so the worst offenders are kept off the screen while everything else doesn't seem to cause a problem that I can see.

The three enhancements in the lower left corner of the Ghostery dropdown are all deselected so they are grayed out. They work too well.
One need never apologise for exercising the Golden Rule.
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - Dual boot with Win7 - Old motherboard with 4 GB DDR2 RAM, AM2 CPU, 500 Gb Solid State Drive

bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:03 pm

all41 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:23 am
yes--ublock origin
I also use noscript.
Both involve taming
I used noscript for quite a while but it eventually became far too wild....I had to release it. I don't have time to play lion tamer.

Most of the popups, or many of them are not really ads..many are just "sign up for stupid notices that nobody wants" related to whatever website I'm on.
Thinkpad T430 Mint 19.1

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:45 pm

DSHornet wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:37 pm
After scanning through the posts here, I notice nobody mentioned the Ghostery plugin for Firefox and Chrome/Chromium. I've had good results with it in both of those browsers. All advertisements are blocked and everything else is allowed to come through, so the worst offenders are kept off the screen while everything else doesn't seem to cause a problem that I can see.

The three enhancements in the lower left corner of the Ghostery dropdown are all deselected so they are grayed out. They work too well.
well ghostery sold out back in 2015 or earlier. adblock plus and ghostery were pretty good but now disguise themselves as adblockers, steal your data and sell it when you're not looking. i would not recommend adblock plus or ghostery any more and if you do have it i would make the switch to ublock origin
Last edited by trytip on Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:57 am

I agree with trytip on this one...i used to use them myself years ago until they DID "sell out"...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Return to “Software & Applications”