Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
alebal
Level 1
Level 1

Calendar

Post by alebal » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi everyone.
I tried to use the calendar (included) to remind me to make backups once a week.

But it doesn't do anything ... I add an event, I set the reminder, but when the time comes, nothing happens ...
I was expecting a warning, a popup, a sound, a notification ... but nothing ... just nothing ...

Did I miss something? It shouldn't, having set up an event, tell me ...

squid-f
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Calendar

Post by squid-f » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:12 am

Hi

Just a question, are you in front of your computer at the reminder set time ?
I am wondering whether if the time is past then you don't get the reminder when connecting ?

alebal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alebal » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:35 pm

My distro is the last linux mint with cinnamon.

The calendar is the one in the image (the one found in the menu -> Office -> Calendar)

When I add an event I also add the reminder, I did a lot of tests, setting events in half an hour, an hour etc., I'm always here in front of the PC and nothing ever happens. It would be nice that even if I'm not at the PC, at the next power up, it would show the expired events ...

The backups I have to make are not on this PC, I have to remember to make a snapshot of a server on vultr ...

Grateful4Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Grateful4Linux » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:16 pm

alebal wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:35 pm
My distro is the last linux mint with cinnamon.

The calendar is the one in the image (the one found in the menu -> Office -> Calendar)

When I add an event I also add the reminder, I did a lot of tests, setting events in half an hour, an hour etc., I'm always here in front of the PC and nothing ever happens. It would be nice that even if I'm not at the PC, at the next power up, it would show the expired events ...

The backups I have to make are not on this PC, I have to remember to make a snapshot of a server on vultr ...
I never got it to work either, after many, many tests sitting in front of it. I ended up having to go with Google Calendar, which is what I was trying to avoid.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I will be very interested to find out if you ever get the reminders to work.

squid-f
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squid-f » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:35 am

Hi

I am also experimenting a different issue with calendar and the flatpak version has solved it somehow (see other post on this forum).

Have you tried to install the flatpak version (3.32) and tested it in regards of your needs ?

squid-f
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squid-f » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:58 am

Hi again

I just made a test with 3.32 version from flatpak and I don't get any notification either (sound or pop-up).
I am on LM19.2 cinnamon. I have another machine on LM19.1 cinnamon. I will make a test there tonight.

Good luck

squid-f
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squid-f » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi

Just tried on another machine with LM 19.1 cinnamon and the 3.28.2 stock version of gnome calendar.
I am not able to get any notification after setting a reminder.
It looks like the integration in LM might need some additional tweak ?

All what I can do right now.

Cheers
Last edited by squid-f on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

squid-f
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squid-f » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:58 am

Hi

Strange, I don't see anymore the answers from someone called Lex ?

I just did a fresh install of LM19.2 Cinnamon on virtualbox and tested it.

I don't get any notification either from calendar.

I wonder whether there is something connected to dependencies but what ?

Cheers

squid-f
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squid-f » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:52 am

Hi again :)

I just did some additional tests.

I installed Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 19.04 on virtualbox sessions.

I don't get any notification from calendar on 18.04 but I do get one on 19.04

Beside the calendar version discrepancy (3.28 on 18.04 and 3.32 on 19.04), I saw the way to manage application notifications has been improved on Ubuntu 19.04.

In the settings menu of Ubuntu 19.04 there is a new entry called Applications allowing to set whether or not an application can send a notification. Calendar is identified there as allowing to send notifications.

So, it might be we have to wait for Linux Mint 20 to get that fixed. I let more expert people commenting whether I missed something and whether there is already a way to allow calendar to send notification.

Cheers

Grateful4Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Grateful4Linux » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 am

squid-f wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:52 am
Hi again :)

I just did some additional tests.

I installed Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 19.04 on virtualbox sessions.

I don't get any notification from calendar on 18.04 but I do get one on 19.04

Beside the calendar version discrepancy (3.28 on 18.04 and 3.32 on 19.04), I saw the way to manage application notifications has been improved on Ubuntu 19.04.

In the settings menu of Ubuntu 19.04 there is a new entry called Applications allowing to set whether or not an application can send a notification. Calendar is identified there as allowing to send notifications.

So, it might be we have to wait for Linux Mint 20 to get that fixed. I let more expert people commenting whether I missed something and whether there is already a way to allow calendar to send notification.

Cheers
Thank you for your posts and investigations. I'm glad to know that it's something that may eventually be fixed in the LM 20.

Return to “Software & Applications”