Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
slinger1953
Level 3
Level 3

Timeshift Backup [Solved]

Post by slinger1953 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:20 am

I have now installed Timeshift on an external hd, and removed it from a partition on
my main hd.
A couple of questions please:-
1. If the main hd ever crashes, can I reinstall my LM19 backup to a larger or smaller new hd from the external drive, or must the new drive be the same size? (if that makes sense).
2. Could I install the backup to a new machine from Timeshift which is on the on the external hd?

Thank you
Last edited by slinger1953 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OveS
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Timeshift Backup

Post by OveS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:48 am

My understanding is that Timeshift is not a complete, standalone backup of your system. I would see it more as a snapshot of important system files. Note that Timeshift by default does not backup user files ( /home ). For that part you should use something else (I use Cronopete). Timeshift and Cronopete do their backups to an external disk that I attach to this laptop about twice a week. In addition, my user files ( /home ) are synchronized to my Nextcloud server running on a Raspberry Pi 4.

In both of your cases, I would first install Linux Mint fresh to an empty disk and then afterwards restore your old system environment from the Timeshift backup. And then user files. If you want a complete backup, you could use Clonezilla to make a full disk image of your system.
Yesterday I was forced to use Timeshift to restore my environment. I had messed up with network and DNS. The Timeshift backup was from one week earlier. The restore went well and it was very quick; maybe two minutes. After reboot, there was of course all the Mint updates of the week to be installed.
So, for me Timeshift is tested and works very well.
--
Ideapad 530S-14ARR - Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, Thinkpad X240 - Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon,
MacBook Pro 15" (mid-2010), iMac 20" (early-2008), Raspberry Pi 2, 3 and 4

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:15 am

slinger1953 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:20 am
I have now installed Timeshift on an external hd, and removed it from a partition on
my main hd.
A couple of questions please:-
1. If the main hd ever crashes, can I reinstall my LM19 backup to a larger or smaller new hd from the external drive, or must the new drive be the same size? (if that makes sense).
2. Could I install the backup to a new machine from Timeshift which is on the on the external hd?
In the context you're posing those questions, the answer is a plain and simple no. Timeshift is not a backup program, it's a system restore application. To restore your system from Timeshift you must first install the OS.

Clonezilla is highly recommended as a backup program. Some people recommend the free version of Macrium Reflect but you first need a Windwoes installation to install it to before you can create the recovery media, which you use to both backup and restore Linux partitions.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

slinger1953
Level 3
Level 3

Post by slinger1953 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Thank you both, until LM19 I have always used clonezilla, I have totally misunderstood the use of Timeshift, as I read your answers I realised this.
Thank you again.

Return to “Software & Applications”