[SOLVED] Suddenly, I can't type a quotes ("), but the keyboard is fine?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Suddenly, I can't type a quotes ("), but the keyboard is fine?

Post by draconicrose » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:59 pm

(Crossposted from https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comm ... yboard_is/)

I have a mechanical US/PT keyboard that I use with the US layout. Until yesterday it was working absolutely fine, then all of a sudden I stopped being able to press Shift + ' to create ".

I've plugged the keyboard into my laptop, running Elementary OS, set the keyboard layout to US and the key combo works just fine, so it's not a keyboard issue.

I've also tried to change the type of English US layout I'm using, but nothing helps. I was also previously using Linux Mint just fine for years (and recently had to format) with the same keyboard, without an issue.

Any clues as to what this might be?

Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon x64 bit.
System Info: https://dpaste.de/Wwzg
Last edited by draconicrose on Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Suddenly, I can't type a quotes ("), but the keyboard is fine?

Post by pbear » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:13 pm

Why are you using the 5.0 kernel? Your UEFI is two years old, so presumably the hardware is at least that. In any event, try booting into a 4.15 kernel (reinstall the latest one, if you've already deleted all of them) and see whether that solves the problem.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:28 pm

I will try, but it was working perfectly on the 5.0 kernel. I don't remember why I was running the 5.0 kernel even before I formatted, but I'm sure it had something to do with gaming.

Edit: I've tried it on the 4.15.0-62 kernel and, as predicted, it had no effect on my ability to type quotes.

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Other things I've tried:
Reconfigure keyboard with

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Update Locales with

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
sudo update-locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8
sudo locale-gen --purge --no-archive
sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 pm

Is it the same with both Shift keys?

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:37 pm

rene wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 pm
Is it the same with both Shift keys?
Yes, it is.

I've managed to make the keyboard type the quotes but, well, it only works if I have the Portuguese layout as an option, too, AND only if it's above the US layout in settings: https://i.imgur.com/sVbpXFt.png

I mean, this workaround technically works but why? Have I maybe found a bug?

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:04 pm

It'll then also work if you simply delete the English (US) layout; layouts aren't additive or anything of the sort; you use one. No, I don't think you've found a generic bug. Although hard to imagine the only thing other than hardware --- and assuming from the description that Shift works with other keys than ' and that Shift+' produces simply nothing rather than something else --- that seems to make sense is your English (US) layout being damaged; sudo apt-get install --reinstall xkb-data and reboot.

Seems very unlikely to fix anything but I'm afraid this otherwise makes very little sense. If you run xev you'll see if anything register when you press Shift+'

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueocean » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 pm

By chance do you have any other keyboard you could try?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:42 pm

rene wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:04 pm
It'll then also work if you simply delete the English (US) layout; layouts aren't additive or anything of the sort; you use one. No, I don't think you've found a generic bug. Although hard to imagine the only thing other than hardware --- and assuming from the description that Shift works with other keys than ' and that Shift+' produces simply nothing rather than something else --- that seems to make sense is your English (US) layout being damaged; sudo apt-get install --reinstall xkb-data and reboot.

Seems very unlikely to fix anything but I'm afraid this otherwise makes very little sense. If you run xev you'll see if anything register when you press Shift+'
Tried this, it doesn't fix the issue unless I have the Portuguese keyboard layout as the first option. :/ xev gives me this https://dpaste.de/o5CJ
blueocean wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 pm
By chance do you have any other keyboard you could try?
Not at the moment. I tested the keyboard plugging it into my laptop though and it doesn't have the same issue there, so I'm thinking it's software. I'll try to borrow another keyboard to test though.

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueocean » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Does the laptop have the same version of Mint on it. Let us know if another keyboard does the same thing. Also have you tried a different USB port and then power off PC and start again?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:06 am

xev interpretation needs a local user to correlate actions with events appearing. FWIW, this is what appears for me when typing " (with Left-Shift):

KeyPress event, serial 38, synthetic NO, window 0x5a00001,
    root 0x4d8, subw 0x0, time 533479, (-524,120), root:(337,575),
    state 0x0, keycode 50 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 38, synthetic NO, window 0x5a00001,
    root 0x4d8, subw 0x0, time 534197, (-524,120), root:(337,575),
    state 0x1, keycode 48 (keysym 0x22, quotedbl), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (22) """
    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (22) """

KeyRelease event, serial 38, synthetic NO, window 0x5a00001,
    root 0x4d8, subw 0x0, time 534317, (-524,120), root:(337,575),
    state 0x1, keycode 48 (keysym 0x22, quotedbl), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (22) """

KeyRelease event, serial 38, synthetic NO, window 0x5a00001,
    root 0x4d8, subw 0x0, time 534617, (-524,120), root:(337,575),
    state 0x1, keycode 50 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
However, I'm noticing we haven't in fact considered the most straightforward possibility: you having by accident set " as a shortcut when you were playing around with Menu -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts. Not sure if the key-combo working with a different layout denies that possibility already. It would in any case mean that things work on a different user account: I'd create a new one and test things there.

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:50 am

rene wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:06 am
However, I'm noticing we haven't in fact considered the most straightforward possibility: you having by accident set " as a shortcut when you were playing around with Menu -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts. Not sure if the key-combo working with a different layout denies that possibility already. It would in any case mean that things work on a different user account: I'd create a new one and test things there.
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I've been busy.
I don't know what happened, but I've somehow been able to type " but not @. Creating a new user account reveals that the problem is indeed on my main user account, as I'm able to type both characters properly on a test account.
I don't remember messing with keyboard shortcuts when I set up. Makes me wonder if some application might be interfering with it.
Is there an easy way to reset the keyboard shortcuts?

Edit: I used dconf-tools to recursively reset org.cinnamon.desktop.keybindings. I got my @ back, but not ". I figured something on my startup is messing with the keybinds. After disabling every startup app except cinnamon settings daemon and ctrl alt backspace I restarted and yup, I have both @ and " back. I will report again when I find the culprit.

Edit2: It was Synapse.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:39 am

That's clearly not a coincidence; Shift-2=@ in the US layout(s) whereas Shift-2=" in the "Portuguese" layout. If you use latter you should be able to type @ with AltGr-2 or AltGr-q. I'm wondering if there's actually a bug/oddity in here anywhere. What is your physical keyboard's layout? US or PT? I.e., what's above 2 on the physical key?

[EDIT] Added after reading your own edits... well, okay, I guess. So solved?

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:29 pm

rene wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:39 am
That's clearly not a coincidence; Shift-2=@ in the US layout(s) whereas Shift-2=" in the "Portuguese" layout. If you use latter you should be able to type @ with AltGr-2 or AltGr-q. I'm wondering if there's actually a bug/oddity in here anywhere. What is your physical keyboard's layout? US or PT? I.e., what's above 2 on the physical key?

[EDIT] Added after reading your own edits... well, okay, I guess. So solved?
Yep, solved! But just to answer your question, the physical layout is... both. The light up keys are in English US, but there's non-light up characters printed on the keys as well for PT. I suppose the original layout is US.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Re: [SOLVED] Suddenly, I can't type a quotes ("), but the keyboard is fine?

Post by rene » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Ah. Well, never heard of that before; interesting. Anyway good that it's solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”