Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Howard_P
Level 3
Level 3

google maps opens in the wrong location

Post by Howard_P » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi- Google maps seems to think I'm in Charlotte, North Carolina, but I'm home in my house in California. I'm using Firefox but the problem also happens in Chromium. I'm using Linuxmint 19.0 I had been looking at Charlotte yesterday. I've cleared all my history and also tried the locate me button on the lower right corner. It asks for permission to locate me and I agree to that. It then gives me a picture of the globe centered on the USA. I've closed Firefox and rebooted several times with no luck. I would appreciate any advice you can give me. -Howard

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: google maps opens in the wrong location

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:35 pm

All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Howard_P
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Howard_P » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:47 pm

both of those links looked promising, but I still get shown as being in the Charlotte airport (never have been there, but going there tomorrow

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:31 am

it seems to be a google problem more than a mint problem. I think you will have to check into google's settings. Maybe if you make sure the temp/date area on panel has closest information to you in it, that will become the google's "location" for you.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

cliffcoggin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cliffcoggin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Howard_P wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm
Hi- Google maps seems to think I'm in Charlotte, North Carolina, but I'm home in my house in California.
Be grateful for small mercies. I stopped using Google maps when I realised Google was tracking my every move.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

Howard_P
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Howard_P » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:12 pm

That stinks. How did you figure that out? -Howard

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:04 am

are you using a dynamic IP source, or a VPN?

the server where the IP is hosted is what Google locates you on, IF, your local modem access point does not have a GPS in it. ( mine does ) My LTE modem has a GPS receiver, and Google maps always comes up with my location zeroed to within ~50-75 feet radius. which is 30 miles north of Tulsa, OK.

but, here is what my Dedicated IP address shows:

ISP: AT&T Wireless
City: Dallas
Region: Texas

I took that LTE modem with me on vacation to Florida and back six months ago, the server changed to somewhere with 300-500 miles of me, but my Google Map address nearly always dropped a pinhead right on top of my RV trailer. right down to the parking spot assigned to me.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:14 am

What's the purpose of a VPN? It's encrypted. Due to that, the only location it will "see" is the VPN server at the other end. It's just like using a proxy server, in order to watch content blocked in your own country. By using a proxy in a country not blocked, the content is then displayed, because it only sees the proxy server, not who is connected behind it.

Return to “Software & Applications”